close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Idea Becoming Real

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TNPIRATE, Feb 10, 2018.

1. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

I have for a while been lookin at where my fridge sits. As you walk into the kitchen that is what you see. The side of the fridge. So I started lookin at the trust in the ceiling (yeah you can see them from grime, ceiling needs cleaning). Then I started lookin at where would be a good place to put in like a little alcove wall.
    Went down and bought the 2x4s, only needed 4 of them, and it came to 21 bucks. Yesterday I went and pulled off a bit of paneling and started looking at the suds.

Well there was a SNAP/POP, and sparks, and an oops. When I pulled off the paneling after loosening the wall outlet one of the screws hit the old metal electrical box. So today before getting really started I replaced the old outlet. It was so old it fell apart.
    Then I stared working on the frame for the new wall.
    Got it up and now all I have to do is put a center stud in. Then get the paneling back up. I'll get pics tomorrow to show ya'lls what it looks like.

TXplt, CountryBoy, big shrek and 11 others like this.
  2. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Here's ya go again, if it ain't broke fix it till it is, or slightly crispy at least ...

3. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Now you'll have a new PINK wall!!!

Capt'n Mil Coll and TNPIRATE like this.
  4. I tell ya, Mark, when you get done sorting your place out you really need to come over and help me get mine sorted. Starting with the roof!

TNPIRATE, Wicked109 and PAPA G like this.
  5. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Having little projects is a good thing. Gotta stay busy. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos.

6. CountryBoy

CountryBoy G&G Evangelist

What is an alcove wall?

I had a similiar occurrence. I was cutting a hole in a sheetrock wall in my daughters bedroom wall to install a box and cable outlet for the Direct TV. I was sawing along with my hand powered keyhole saw and when I got near the stud I heard a noise similiar to striking an arc with a welding rod. The the slightest puff of smoke rolled out the wall. I dont have to tell you what happened...lol

Luckily it was an easy repair.

TNPIRATE and PAPA G like this.
  7. TNPIRATE

Well I was gonna post these yesterday, but s**t happens:D And kids happen, even when they're 33 and 35 years old.

So here is what I'm talking about.

DSCF6210.JPG DSCF6211.JPG DSCF6212.JPG DSCF6213.JPG

Today I took the paneling and split it and shortened it up and put it back one the fridge side of the wall. And in the space I am going to put shelves. Or put one of those corner hutches in that spot. I know where I can pick one up

DSCF6214.JPG

8. TNPIRATE

Yes I got a new box for that light switch. One that I can nail into the stud. The old one is one of those that has the clips. Hate them things.

Then when I get paid I am going to need to sheets of drywall.

CountryBoy, PAPA G and ncnascarlady like this.
  9. TNPIRATE

I have to work on my roof too. Strip shingles off, repair the ply, and patch work until I get the money to put a tin roof on. And redo the facial board, and rehang the gutters.

Also going to have to buy steel pipe and set up the propane heater. Get some PVC, and crawl under the house and put in a water line for the icemaker on the fridge.

10. TNPIRATE

The dinning room has been turned into a work area. Saw horses, saw, tools, ladder, extra wood:D

CountryBoy likes this.
  11. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Great idea! I may have to do that with mine. If I get the ambition this year I'll do it. And I will post pics. Thanks for the idea.

TNPIRATE likes this.
  12. TNPIRATE

Just make sure ya get that top 2x4 secured in a joist. I used 3 inch drywall screws, and only 5 nails. On the bottom to hold the stud to bottom. I used a 2x4 to but the stud against. 2 nails for that piece of 2x4.

Ron The Legend likes this.
  13. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looks good TNP. I never liked having the ref ridge stick out like that. A wall is much more appealing to the eye.

14. TNPIRATE

In California they put a wall up or a squared pace for the fridge.
    Not it the south. They stick it out there so God and everybody can see it:D

PAPA G and Huey Rider like this.
  15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I inset mine next to the cabinets and the wall.[next to the dish washer]
    then I had to change it out.
    the new fridge is about an inch wider than the old one.
    Christ almighty what a pain.

PAPA G, ncnascarlady and TNPIRATE like this.
  16. TNPIRATE

That does sound like a pain.

17. When we replaced our fridge it had to go where the old one was. Width was no problem. Height and depth on the other hand was tricky. We had to rip out the upper cabinets and can't slide the darn thing all the way back into the slot or we can't open the doors.

Which complicates opening the lower cabinet drawers that are 90° to the fridge...but I got the French door, freezer drawer on the bottom fridge I wanted, so I'm coping.

CountryBoy, TNPIRATE and PAPA G like this.
  18. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Every man on earth has started what seems like a fairly easy project only for it to turn into several less easy projects and a mess before he even gets to the easy project.
    If a woman is involved, some yelling and nagging may serve as the background music to this little farce.

Huey Rider, PAPA G and Cyrano like this.
  19. Or vise versa. You've got to admit, men can fuss, nag and yell just as easily as we can!

20. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    A lot of years ago, I wrote a story called "Wait A Minute ..." about a husband who was nagged by his wife to install an organizer in the back hall coat closet. In the course of setting up to do this, he disorganizes his home shop, cleans the junk out of the garage and fills the driveway with it, and starts to change the snow tires off his car. When his wife returns from dropping the kids off at their weekend activities, she asks him what the hell he is doing and he says, "Installing the closet organizer in the back hall closet!"