Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always looking for another project (like I really need one). I've got several small ring mauser stocks laying around. I picked up a nice M38 6.5 Swede barrel off ebay at a good price a while back. Just pulled the trigger on a nice German made 93 Turk action off Gunbroker that's already been drilled and tapped and has the bolt modified and a low scope safety installed. Pics when the comes in.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Pictures when the action comes in.
That's nice JR. Very cool that you have the bolt reworked for scope and low safety installed. It saves a lot of time when all done already. Is it drilled and tapped 3 or 4 holes[ 1 piece or 2 piece base]? Nice find. I built like three rifles on the Turk receivers.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
4 holes so 2 piece bases.
JR I have some Redfield bases and one piece but I have always been partial to the two piece bases on my builds. I just like the looks of two piece and also the one piece blocks the top for me it seems when loading. So you are putting the small ring 6.5x55 swede barrel on the receiver? The 6.5 in an awesome round.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the action yesterday and screwed the barrel in(it's a 96 not a 38) so its a long barrel. Set it in a stock and it all fit although a cut needs to be made for the bolt handle. I think I'll leave the barrel full length as this one will probably be shot mostly from the bench. I have a one piece 98 mount that looks like the two front holes and one of the rear holes will line up. I'll get around to it one of these days Hopefully !!!

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
JR are you going to cut the very end of barrel front off where sight was installed. I had one I removed the front sight and also the threaded barrel end. I re crowned it also. Looks nice though. You are well on your way. The one piece base will work fine hopefully.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 6.5 X 55 is a true classic in rifles. That caliber is a perfect stalking caliber. :)
Its almost as addicting(at least to me) as AR's as I keep building them and I don't really know why !!!

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Its almost as addicting(at least to me) as AR's as I keep building them and I don't really know why !!!
I can understand your post. I have several AR-15 .223 caliber rifles. I just wanted to do one .224 Valkyrie. I now have a .450 BM, 6.5 Grendel. I am looking at AR-10 lowers for a 6.5 Creedmoor build. I need help to stop this addiction.:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked up a 2 piece mount and ring package off ebay and mounted the bases tonight. Now to cut a relief slot for the bolt and pick up a scope.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a pic with a 3X9 Nikon scope mounted. Still have some more work to do

1 - 20 of 28 Posts