Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an 1895 small ring barreled receiver from Old Western Scrounger for $150 shipped. The barrel has the chamber welded. Also got a trigger guard, a bolt and stock parts and a damaged stock. The metal is in good shape with only a small amount of pitting. Had to cut a relief slot in the barrel just in front of the receiver ring to remove the barrel. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, probably a 7mm Mauser sporter as I have a a surplus 7mm barrel. Pictures to follow.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
JR sounds good. So many possibilities. I was on OWS looking a few times lately. I was looking at the 1895 and the 1916 actions. I think you have a few 6-5x55,s already. How about a 7mm08 or 257 Roberts. I bet you done did those also. I have done so many calibers that I ran out of ideas myself. Do you mind me asking you if they have anymore stocks and what they want for the 2nd,s.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few pics. Waiting on a useable bolt from Liberty Tree Collectors. 7mm Mauser barrel installed and its set in a Swedish Mauser stock.
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
A few pics. Waiting on a useable bolt from Liberty Tree Collectors. 7mm Mauser barrel installed and its set in a Swedish Mauser stock. View attachment 143772 View attachment 143768 View attachment 143770
Very close fit JR. Only a very small difference at front of receiver where barrel threads in. You already had the barrel J.R.? I have one of the 6.5 Swede stocks. I wish I could find me a M1916 Spanish stock for an action I have. I may have to use a 1893 or 95 stock if I can find one of those.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished product. 7x57 mm is a great sporter round. I took my first deer with an old 1895 Chilean Mauser made by Loewe. I think 7mm Mauser is a somewhat underrated cartridge today in the grand scope of calibers.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Except for a little inletting at the trigger area it was a drop in fit. I'll probably put some filler in the voids at the front of the receiver. A nice surprise was the hinged floorplate that works after a little clean up.

Reactions: ChaZam and rando

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Glad to hear. Well worth a couple parts and a little elbow grease. Took dad's bringback 98 out last night for a little re-oiling and ran a swab with CLP down the bore for storage protection. Sure makes a great keepsake for a closet grab! Who knew they would be worth so much.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Glad to hear. Well worth a couple parts and a little elbow grease. Took dad's bringback 98 out last night for a little re-oiling and ran a swab with CLP down the bore for storage protection. Sure makes a great keepsake for a closet grab! Who knew they would be worth so much.
I have quite a collection and not sure yet if I am going to sell them one day. My sons may take a couple but they dont need all I have. Its a pain in the butt to just store them and keep them clean. I may sell most when I retire.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,386 Posts
A few pics. Waiting on a useable bolt from Liberty Tree Collectors. 7mm Mauser barrel installed and its set in a Swedish Mauser stock.
Looks like you're building yourself a 7mm Spanish Mauser, like the ones Teddy Roosevelt faced in Cuba.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,386 Posts
I wish I could find me a M1916 Spanish stock for an action I have. I may have to use a 1893 or 95 stock if I can find one of those.
Call up Sarco Inc. They have M1916 Spanish rifles for sale right now. They might have some spare stocks in the back. Worth checking out, anyway.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I have quite a collection and not sure yet if I am going to sell them one day. My sons may take a couple but they dont need all I have. Its a pain in the butt to just store them and keep them clean. I may sell most when I retire.
Good idea. See what ya can get for em. Always can spend the loot on something else ya want. Might sell a few rifles down the road to finance a Winny 1873 when I quit huntin. My 98k will go to my son.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old Western Scrounger has 95 Mauser stocks for $99.95 .

Reactions: rando

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to do a search to find them.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
You need to do a search to find them.
JR I dug out the M1916 Small Ring Mauser action a couple minutes ago. I have a few dozen Mauser rifle stocks and looked through them. I came across a like new Swede M96 stock. I also had the stock band and wood hand guard. The action dropped right into the stock like a glove being a small action also. I also put the top wood hand guard on. I have bins and cases of Mauser hardware but dont have the rear stamped hand guard band. That is the very tiny gap you have up front by the receiver. I also was missing the smaller very front band with the bayonet bracket on it. It goes around barrel and bottom wood stock and snaps into band spring on stock. I ordered both parts from Apex and was like $18. Now I will have it complete with all original hardware. M1916 Spanish in a Swede M96 stock. I will take a pic when parts come in and done.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the bolt and It fits but is tight so need to do a little fitting and polishing !!

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bolt fitted and headspace checks out.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made a lot of progress over the last few days. Painted the barreled receiver with Brownell's Acrahyde. Using a Swede rear sight since I've got a no gunsmith scope mount for it. Waiting for a bolt stop and ejector housing. May do a little shooting tomorrow.
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts