Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Blood Alley with John Wayne Sunday. I've seen the movie dozens of times, but I just noticed something...
Is that a Nagant 1895 revolver hidden in his mattress???
And then later after The Duke uses a Comunist Chinese soldier's own rifle/bayonet to stop the soldier from raping Lauren Bacall's character, there is a great scene later where our hero is sitting in the window with his newly captured Mosin Nagant rifle(...a 91/30, I believe).
My assumption is the this movie was in the late 40's. I guess those weapons would be correct for post WWII China. If so, kudos to Hollywood for doing a little research.
Good ole John Wayne, he 'whooped' them commies with their own weapons...er, uh...and their own steamboat!!!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hm, I'll have to go check it out. Can't pass up a good Duke flick!
:drive:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,307 Posts
Cool! First I've heard of this movie. I need to upgrade my Duke Collection now! :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I will be reviewin' Blood Alley tonight.:burnout:

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
the DUKE! and MOSINS? hotdammmm!!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I knew my Winchester Saddle Ring carbine with the big-loop-lever was very Duke-like. But who'd have thunk, my Mosin-Nagant 1895 revolver and 91/30 Rifle was "Duke-Totin' worthy".

Interesting trivia about this movie: Apparently, Robert Mitchum was supposed to star in the film, but was fired for punching a crew member. It was being produced by John Wayne's newly started production company and the investors pressured John Wayne into taking the role.

Let me know what y'all think!!! He's pretty handy with a bayonet, huh???

·
Registered
217 Posts
I watched a movie on Sci-Fi a few weeks ago about some WW2 plot by the Nazi's to release some kind of flying monster from the netherworld. I forgot the name of the movie. It was REALLY crappy though.
A young female on the side of the good guys, carried a M38 through the entire movie.....it sure looked like it had less recoil in the movie than in real life :D

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I watched a movie on Sci-Fi a few weeks ago about some WW2 plot by the Nazi's to release some kind of flying monster from the netherworld. I forgot the name of the movie. It was REALLY crappy though.
A young female on the side of the good guys, carried a M38 through the entire movie.....it sure looked like it had less recoil in the movie than in real life :D
Surprising how the lack of a bullet makes the recoil more bearable...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
you stole my post :haha:
i saw part of that same movie too while flipping through channels, and the first thing I noticed was the m38.:09:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
i saw part of that same movie too while flipping through channels, and the first thing I noticed was the m38.:09:
Sounds like a winner for a B-movie night... I'll have to keem my eyes open for it!:D

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
it wouldnt look right if everytime she pulled the trigger she dropped the rifle and started cryin!

BTW to be fair ive noticed men not ask to shoot my rifles anymore after a coupla rnds. of 7.62x54r!:09:

·
Registered
570 Posts
it wouldnt look right if everytime she pulled the trigger she dropped the rifle and started cryin!
BTW to be fair ive noticed men not ask to shoot my rifles anymore after a coupla rnds. of 7.62x54r!:09:
LoL, theres quite a few "men" I have let shoot my M38 and M44 who wouldn't take another shot. Something about that muzzle blast just seemed to kind of spook them. :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well I was scanning the channels and came across the show Going Tribal and saw a mosin so I decided to watch the show further. the host was joining a family of mongols to live the way they live. later in the show some wolves attacked some of their herd so they went wolf hunting. all the guns they hunted with were mosins, so I took some screen shots of the mongols mosins. (notice they are on safe.)

well there not pretty but they got the job done.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
He's got himself an ex-sniper! It's got the holes drilled for the scope on the top and the bent bolt. Man, I wonder where they got that and if the guy's father or something took it off of a dead Russian sniper in WWII.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Not just any sniper, either. It's a fairly early, pre-1938 one, originally fitted with a top-mounted PE scope before they switched to side-mounting them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ya got that right. Im glad to see that they have still retained a good utility use in other countries as well. I hope that poor guy has some ear plugs because that looks like an M38... I've only fired 2 shots with mine without plugs in, and it's something I will NEVER do again! ( unless I happen to spot another coyote i my yard and it just happens to be the nearest gun again! LoL ) Talk about permanent hearing loss!:34:

·
Registered
217 Posts
hehehe I saw the show come up and decided not to watch it! I hate "tribal" shows - being that I lived among "tribes" all my life. If I had known there were Mosins in the show, I would have watched it!

Reign of Gargoyles . interesting. The movie was total crap, but I sure wanted that M38.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts