Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got another one that's a somewhat sporterised Remington made one. 15882990244214940409213842532629.jpg
Is this a cut for a target rear sight of some sort?
15882992779192080557585920491809.jpg

Second view of cut out:
15882996079225149530352094518838.jpg

Anyway off for a head space check then to the range someday soon.

Score so far 2 -03A3's and one 1917 Eddystone.
Now with this may or may not keep the 1917. Hmmmm......o_O:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
Nice rifle Ed. I didnt really see any rear cut though in the pic. I see the rear sight though. I removed the rear sight on a few and installed weaver type bases. I hope it headspaces ok.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Wahoo, nice score Bigg'en :) ... I agree with my fellow Spud' and that looks just like a relief I made recently for a Parker Hale aperture peep sight. Now that I think about it one thing that I haven't laid my hands on yet is an 03'A3 or a 30-06' for that matter. I've found a few that would have been nice to rescue that were somewhat sportered but they weren't worth what they wanted for them so I think I picked up a couple argentines instead :) ....

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wahoo, nice score Bigg'en :) ... I agree with my fellow Spud' and that looks just like a relief I made recently for a Parker Hale aperture peep sight. Now that I think about it one thing that I haven't laid my hands on yet is an 03'A3 or a 30-06' for that matter. I've found a few that would have been nice to rescue that were somewhat sportered but they weren't worth what they wanted for them so I think I picked up a couple argentines instead :) ....
Yeah I've seen some prices all over the board on goon broker.

No telling when that stock was put in that rifle. Like in 30-40years someone may wonder who the heck put a drill rifle stock on a working 03A3!!!:p:D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No holes in the right side but it's hard to tell of the past history of the stock vs the rifle itself. It is drilled and taped for a scope but the last owner bought a GI rear sight and installed it He had no clue as to the cut out. He works at the shop I bought it from and thought the stock was something adapted from another rifle.
I don't plan on keeping that stock but who knows regardless of that cut looks like good walnut is hard to find.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like stock is cut for a Lyman 57 SME (Springfield, Mauser, Enfield) However, I couldn't see any drilled and tapped holes to mount it??? I'm pretty sure I have one around here somewhere if you are looking for one...

By the way, my Dad had a pair and I had a couple and they all shot into an inch at 100 yds. Don't be alarmed to see two groove rifling. They shoot well.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
it could be a modified 1917 stock too.

they have a cut out right there, whomever done it could have just shaved it down to that squared notch.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,199 Posts
I think the stock is commercial. Few home gunsmiths are skilled at checkering, and that stock has a fairly standard 1950s pattern checkering on the pistol grip. If I were to hazard a guess, that's a stock made for the home gunsmith (as distinct from the Bubba shadetree gunsmith) market to convert a military rifle, usually Springfields and ex-Wehrmacht Mausers, into a hunting rifle. CMP and wholesalers sold hundreds of thousands of Springfields in the 1950s; many if not most of the Eddystones seem to have been sent overseas as foreign military aid.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Headspace checked out fine in fact close to perfect specs.

Possibly this coming Tuesday it's off to the range for a quick accuracy check.

Both of these rifles will be evaluated by me to see which one will be my hunting rifle and which my competition one. Both may be the later. As the way my knees are getting hunting the way I like to, stalking game, may be out until one or both knees are replaced.
Not sure how well I'd do at kneeling position either but oh well life is life.

Back to the rifles both will get military stocks and hardware. However i may keep the stock for hunting season dunno. I that's up to my knees...:oops:

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New cosmoline coated goodness in original wrapper!
New sight in for this rifle.
IMG_20200511_144936.jpg
IMG_20200511_144959.jpg
Cosmoline....eeeew!
IMG_20200511_145048.jpg

Nothing a few hours soaking in gasoline and light scrubbing with a tooth brush and Q-tips can't fix.
IMG_20200511_192828.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
I would agree on the stock being commercial. Most that were sporterized long ago used stocks made by Fajen.
I have a nice Fajen stock on one of my sporter Arisaka type 99 rifles. I bought a few off of Fajen many years ago for my Mauser projects. Cant get a Fajen anymore. I think years ago they went out of business.

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,947 Posts
Bishop was another place to get rifle stocks from that is now out of business
Yes sir, Larry Potterfield of Midway USA bought them too as he mentioned in the little article I linked in post #15...

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Yes sir, Larry Potterfield of Midway USA bought them too as he mentioned in the little article I linked in post #15...
I didn't read the article, and I'm probably not old enough to really know about Bishop stocks, but I read a lot and happen to own a Mauser with a Bishop stock on it.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bishop was another place to get rifle stocks from that is now out of business
That's the maker of this stock.
It's a very nice one with just a few dings but I can't use it for DCM/CMP matches.
If someone needed it to do a early era sporter with the Lyman sight it'd be nice but I'm restoring the rifle to original milutary configuration. Still may use the stock for hunting, not that hard to switch them out. But I'm not a fan of light walnut.

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts