Another stupid question about lead bullets

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Ninja Piper, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I have a bunch of lead bullets where some of the lube has fallen off. Most are just missing about 1/4 of the circumference, some 1/2, and a couple without any lube. There wouldn't be a problem with loading those up, would there?

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

As long as you stay near the minimum load in your book they will be ok.The faster they travel down the barrel and the less wax/lube they have,the more they lead the barrel.You could also get some Lee liquid alox and soak them according to instructions and use at higher velocities.I would just use minimum loads. ,,,sam.

3. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

+1

p.s.
    there are no stupid questions.
    but they are the easiest to answer.....

4. mikld

mikld G&G Regular

If you're not set up for lubing you could stuff some lube in the grooves by hand. I've used chapstick for this. For alox lubing you have to go out and buy alox (and mineral spirits) and tumble lube the bullets. Pan lubing is an option (a simple lube is beeswax, vaseline, STP; 1lb, 1lb., 1 tbsp). I don't think I'd try to shoot any with less than 2/3 of the groove filled, and commercial cast bullets have less than great lube (most are too hard, made for shipping not shooting). If the boolits are a good fit to your bore, + .002", then leading is less likely. My $.02 only...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

Thanks, as usual! I rarely go higher than the minimum loads anyway. I've got a bunch of lube "chips" that fell off in the mail laying around in the box. I think I'll stuff some of those back on there, or try the chapstick thing.

6. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

fill the lube groove with johnsons paste wax.you dont need to cut liquid alox with mineral spirits. and if you let the bullets dry for more than a day they wont be sticky.

7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

there are as many opinions as there are shooters.
    but i have found that thinning the alox speeds the whole process/cuts drying time.
    and much less mess as well as waste of lube.

8. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I heard of getting the lead out, but the lube?

9. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I thin the alox with paint thinner & add a little paste wax .

God bless
    Wyr