close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Another Turk

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by WyrTwister, May 14, 2002.

1. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Picked up another Turk , Saturday , at Big 5 Sporting Goods . I picked the one with the best looking metal . Nearly 100 % blue . Looked down the barrel , nothing , full of grease . Muzzle looked sharp .

I was hopeing it was a rifle that was un-issued since the last visit to the arsanal (sp) .

Took it home & started cleaning . got the grease out first . Next came a lot of black .

Got about all the black out that I can for now . Rifleings pretty strong , but dark .

I had hoped for a new barrel , like a couple of my other Turks , but they just re-blued the old rifle , without even cleaning it very well .

Oh well , will be able to tell more about it after I take it to the range .

Stock is rough , like they never really finish sanded it . Seems to kave some kind of brown finish on it which is dry and you can scrape off with thumb nail .

Guess it needs some finish sanding to knock off the worst of the high spots & get rid of the flakeing finish . Then some BLO & turpentine .

Wyr
    God Bless

2. How did the Turk shoot for you??

3. JAMES

JAMES G&G Newbie

So, Mr. WyrTwister, how did it turn out ?

I have more fun working with these rifles than any other. They just seem to have....character, regardless of how mistreated their pasts may have been.

Best wishes.

4. I love my Turk--has a lot of character, shoots very accurate, and was only $60.

5. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Shot so-so . Seems like some of my other Turks shoot better . Could be failing memory and eyesight . :-(

Wyr
    God Bless

6. Sevearl months ago, picked up a barreled receiver. This guy had 6 of them. Said, take your pick. Pulled a bullet out of my pocket and started putting it in the muzzles. The ol boy raised and eyebrow. The bullet went almost up to the brass except on the 6th barrel, the bullet hardy went in. Double checked for a 7.62 nato, nope. The muzzle looked almost square. Said, I 'll take this one". Futher inspection reveiled the Turk barrel ahd different numbers that the other parts. Probably never issused after being rebarreled. Bore is crips with a few pits. Will use this one as shooter.
    A different Turk I bought for $39 quit firing, excessive headspace. This good receiver is finding its way into that stock. Drilled and tapped for scope, now have to bend bolt.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2002