Antique guns in New Orleans

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Got back Wednesday from a visit to New Orleans. While there I visited an antique gun store which was interesting.

They had dozens of blackpowder rifles/pistols for sale along with about anything else in the way of guns/knives,uniforms, & other militeria from the civil war era. If any of you get to N.O. and are in the French Quarter area this store is located on St. Louis Street. It's worth paying admission just to browse around. Their prices seem high to me but I'm not an expert on prices...just a fan of this kind of history.

Oxford

2. You're Right Oxford.

His prices are very inflated. This is due to the fact that people visiting the quarter are very loose with money. It's the tourist mentality.

3. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Hank: You're right on their price inflation (gouging's what I call it). For instance, they wanted over $3 grand for one of their civil war blackpowder long rifles/with bayonet mounted.

I mainly was interested in viewing these relics, with no intention on my part of getting suckered into buying.

What is it about the tourist mentality of needing to spend rediculous prices for almost everything in front of you? Back home we'd almost always shop around for bargains. Tourists go nuts sometimes.