Gun and Game Forum banner

Antique Muzzle Loading shotgun

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  chrish 
#1 ·
Hi Gentlemen: Is this the correct forum to ask for info about Anitque muzzle loading shotguns. I just found on "under the eaves" which I had forgotten I bought 40 yrs ago. It is a percussion, exposed hammer, double trigger, one piece stock and forend. Right side plate is marked in block caps RICHARDS. Unfortunately, I suspect that this may be English. There is a small amount of floral pattern engraving on sideplates and hammers. This gun is a bar or front loading action. Gun has straight stock with very long (6") tang. Stock is checkered but only about 20% remains. Bottom of barrel has many proof marks and each barrel is marked 13 which I assume is equivalant to todays gague. If anyone can talk to me about this gun or direct me to the correct people it would be appreciated Jim :feedback:

#2 ·
i found this.

shotguns made by Westley Richards are high quality and have good value. However, they always spelled out "Westley" in their brand marking. A number of other firms used similar sounding names such as "Richards" and "W. Richards" on low grade Belgian made shotguns. There’s a good possibility that they wanted to take advantage of the well known Westley Richards name, fooling unwary buyers. Look for small "ELG" proof marks -- if you find them you probably have one of the "wanna-be" copies. If so, I find that they usually retail in the $150 to $250 range, assuming simple field grade & average condition. A rough one might bring less - an ornate one in excellent condition more.

#3 ·
Richards could be by a couple of different Manufacturers, one was John Richards from London and Birmingham, England from 1745-1810. There was also W.Richards, from Belgium Circa 1900...I suggest a call to a Museum that deals in Firearms and speak to the Curater, or a Professional Antique Firearms Appraiser... Antique Muzzle loader Shotguns are in a class by themselves and Foreign Made ones require an Expert to evaluate and appraise.
Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.