Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather had this shotgun for many years and my father and i cannot find any information about it. Does anyone on this forum recognise these markings that could provide a bit of information on it's origin or at least some leads on where we should look?

Attachments

·
God, Guns, Glory
37,155 Posts
Welcome to G&G from Alaska. Stop by the Introduction thread and say hello.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Welcome to Gun & Game. Some pics are blurry and also could use pics of the complete shotgun. Looks like may be a double barrel SxS?

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
go here.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Premium Member
5,982 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not enough info from pictures but I can say it was made in Belgium and is proofed for black powder. Don't use smokeless powder. Is it a cartridge gun or muzzle loader? If cartridge, it most likely has short chambers, like 2 1/2" as modern length shells had not been introduced. From what I can see, probably 1870ish. I base this on comparison to markings on one of my guns. Pictures of whole gun would be helpful. There was a big cottage industry in low cost guns from Belgium in that era with many using slightly modified names to fool buyers and others made for hardware store distributors. Mine is marked "W Richards" to mimic Wesley Richards, which is not.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Belguim was THEE barrel maker from the 1870's to about 1910-15 or so.
anyone that used them touted using their barrels or made a very strong comparison in their advert's.

Reactions: neophyte
1 - 7 of 7 Posts