close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Antoher phrase I liked

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oneastrix, May 3, 2002.

1. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I hope I don't annoy y'all when I post these. I'm a firm believer in taking in all the training I can get when it comes to firearms as related to my profession. So here's the new phrase:

"If you knew you would have to fight for your life tomorrow, would you change the way you train today?"

-Don't know who said it, but I like it. It makes me sick that there are officers out there who gritch and groan about having to go to an active shooter training or a use of force update. These days it's not "If you get into a lethal force situation." It's "WHEN you get into a lethal force situation......"

2. Interesting thought....fer sure.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i have read of LEO's and dectives who upon retiring were proud that they never had to use their gun, which i say great that they were so fortunate. and some of them never took it out for practice and maintainenance. i read of one revolver where the lead bullets oxidized and the brass turned green!!!! the gun was given to a relative as a keepsake. he took it to a gunsmith, who had to carefully bore out each bullet then deactivate the primers with an oil bath finally reaming out each chamber to remove the cases that were stuck in the chambers!!! nuff said!!!

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Those cops were worse than Barney Fife! If they would have gotten in a real deadly force situation, I am sure they would have earned a Darwin Award for their gross stupidity.

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Klaus,
    I guess its the mind set of some officers I know when I was in that field any chance I had to attend a firearms training program I took. Come on if you love shooting and your offered all the free ammo you can shoot are you going to say no - I don't think so. Yes there are those that are afraid to use their gun and there are those that want to do anything to avoid it but the real skill is in how you communicate the message. I know of several officers back in PRK that could talk anyone into the cuff but then there are those situtations wherethere is no choice and force must be applied. I can thankfully say I have never had to discharge either my handgun or rifle at another person but if I had found the need to use deadly force I know that I would have and my partner would have. When I was looking here in TN one of my key questions was what they did for annual training with the department and it came down to the fact that the majority of departments here get 1 box of ammo a year to qualify and practice with. Now thats less than most of us use on the range in the first 20 minutes of fire. There is no excuse for that but of course I carry and I will never depend on local LE

6. I have to agree with Klaus on this issue.

Any, ANY, Officer who didn't treat their firearm like it was an extension of themsleves are idiots.

I used to clean my Beretta and Glock so much my ex used to accuse me of loving it more. I tried explaining to her she took, and practiced, CPR to protect the members of the family and public and I cleaned my weapon to protect much in the same way.

It's unconceivable any LE person would just let their weapon get to the point of uslessness. Much like letting your patrol vehicle get to the point of not performing well. I used to know a few two wheeler cops that would constantly work on their cycles (even though, technically they weren't supposed to....but, hey...they knew the bike...they trusted it more if they knew it was tuned, etc.). I even knew a few K-9ers that took better care of their dogs then they did themselves. That dog got the top care...rightly so. So should have their sidearms.

We used to qualify quarterly but never got grattis rounds. We, as with other LEOs, can claim 280 rounds on their federal taxes (and one handgun similar or comprable to their carry weapon) each year.

Bottom line is if you have a piece of equipment that means, by law and profession, your life, and others, then you and they have a moral obilgation to keep it operable.

Can you imagine if the fire departments and EMT personnel just let their equipment go? Shuttering here.....fer sure.

7. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

It truely sickens me. In my last department I worked in the Spec Ops Unit. I had a partner who was like my brother. Total tac freak. I quickly modeled myself after him and his actions. Even though we are in separate departments now, we still hit the range two to three times a month and practice. It's not only fun, it's a way of life, literally!

Carrying a weapon is a responsibility. We have the reponsibility to defend ourselves with it, as well as that of a third party. That's not to be taken lightly. Even so, some LEO's do. Please don't use them as your example of all officers as a whole.

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I think Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch said it..

9. Indy

Indy G&G Newbie

It's is fun to practice. I try to go as often as possible. There are times I mixed it up by shooting pistols with my left hand,(right handed), and with my right eye closed. I also use my middle finger. You never know what the circumstances will be.
    Indy

10. Probably more prelevant in other places, but was very rare here for an officer to have his gun drawn upon entry t a home or on the street while making an arrest. Getting a lot more common now.
    Afew friends are cops, and they said there is mandatory training, but after your training little or no, practice, or upgrading for lack of a better word.
    Not many places to practice, and even cops must qualify to apply for a permit for a restricted weapon, ie. handgun.
    I for one am not too comfy with knowing a perp has more fire-arms experience than an officer.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

In the light of things, I encountered something that made me aware some LEO's are more ignorant about the care of a firearm than most civilians.
    About 10 years ago, when I was really thinking about becoming an officer, an officer of the village PD where I lived passed away. The armorer was a good friend of mine, and she called me to the station to help her take apart his duty weapon. I grabbed my tools and headed to the PD. On arrival, I was absolutely horrified at what I saw. The Smith 5906 had a round in the chamber, but the slide would not budge an inch. The rounds in the magazine had corroded together, and would not seperate. I had to take the floorplate off, and the rounds came out stuck together, in a big clump. After an hour of trying to get the slide open, I finally got it to break free. The round in the chamber had literally corroded to the point it was welded to the chamber. She took the barrel to the county EOD and had them destroy it, because there was no way that round would come out.
    This was the main sidearm of the officer. I found out he used to take it off at the end of his shift and throw it into the toolbox of his pickup truck, and that's where it stayed. The pistol was sent off to S&W for repair, and they had said in a letter to the chief that if the other officers were treating their pistols in the same manner, S&W would not renew their contract with the PD. The pistol showed signs of severe neglect. It looked like it had 4 inches of powder residue in the area of the trigger assembly and around the feed ramp area.
    I clean all of my firearms on a regular basis, even if they haven't been shot recently. I cannot stand a dirty firearm, and neither do the other friends I hang around with. After seeing what I just described, I worry that an officer of the same mentality may have to back me up sometime. Not reassuring at all...

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

That's prbably a good guess Logansdad. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Wow, this thread is old. I had forgotten about it.