close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any Encore fans?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hoosierdaddy, Apr 2, 2002.

1. hoosierdaddy

hoosierdaddy G&G Newbie

Indy
    I just picked up an Encore rifle in 243. I've shot bolt action and semi-auto rifles for years but I think I'm going to venture into the less (rounds/minute) is more world. I'm also interested in buying a few extra pistol and rifle barrels. I'll mainly be shooting paper, varmints and I may try whitetail hand gunning this year.

Any suggestions as to which barrels I should look at?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2002
  2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I intend on getting an Encore also. I wonder if they make a 22.250? I think they are fine firearms to say the least.

3. hoosierdaddy

hoosierdaddy G&G Newbie

Indy
    Yes, they make a 22-250 in both 24" and 26" in both blue and SS.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2002
  4. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

just got my third encore, was into contenders first, first encore in 30-06, then 45-70, now 17 rem WOW. love em so much more. dont get stupid I'm not getting rid of my contenders. but like the encores now best.
    Hoosierdaddy that logo looks surprisingly like a microtech talon. good choice, have you seen the new ultratech double edge, or are the autos not legal where you are?

5. hoosierdaddy

hoosierdaddy G&G Newbie

Indy
    boneguru,

You caught me. I'm a Microholic. I've had or still have every MT except a Hawk and the Tachyon. Lately I've slowed way down on my MT purchases and focused more on T/Cs.

6. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

hoosierdaddy, can't help with the Hawk, too old, but can help with the Tachyon and the brand new double edge Ultratech otf, I know what addiction feels like
    Raymond

7. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

I shoot the .30-06 pistol. What a cannon. Had to put muzzle break on it. Then I had to have a 444 Marlin barrel. It literally breathes fire. Put a muzzle break on it also. From there I went and got the 209x50 rifle barrel and rifle conversion. Been shooting BP for sometime and I must say this is the best. 100yd. groups are all touching with a scope. 3-50gr. pellets and a barnes bullet. Deer literally flip when hit with this combo. The .30-06 almost shoots three leaf clovers at 100yd. This is with handloads w/150 gr. BT's. The 444 I use 250gr. Partitions.

8. cmcstotts

cmcstotts G&G Newbie

Encore

I have an encore rifle is very accurate. The only problem I have and it is a big one is that when a scope is placed on the rifle I can hardly get my thumb between the scope and the hammer. I purchased a hammer extension and the gun misfires with extension on. I called TC and they said that it will not work with a hammer extension and that they have a fix just send the gun in and they will put a new swing hammer on it for $69.95. They told me the problem is alot of people are trying to mount the scopes to low. I have high base mounts. I fill that this is a design flaw. I would not purchase one unless it has a hammer that can be easily accessed. :hitwithrock:

9. Encores are fabulous:burnout:

10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Friend has one loves it.

11. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

I've seen and shot many Encores, they are excellent rifles, and are very well made.

12. cmcstotts

cmcstotts G&G Newbie

encore

The gun is great shooting targets. However, when you put a thick pair of gloves on when hunting the hammer/scope clearance causes a big problem.

13. schu

schu G&G Newbie

Yea, the hammer is close, but since I got little hands it's not a big problem. My G2 is in 17HMR, I want the .223 barrel, and .22LR. Love the gun.

14. I've been a big fan of T/C Contenders ,for a long time.Just picked up an Encore,
    209x50 ,Now I need to get some trigger time!

15. I have witnessed that Thompson Center rifles are being used a lot on the shows of the OutDoor Channel here lately, and I'd love to have one !!! Matter of fact I fiiddin to go look at there web site to see if they have a 358 caliber...A.H

16. Aarrgghh!!

Aarrgghh!! G&G Newbie

TC makes some great guns. I have a modern in-line .50 cal from TC, and the quality is excellent !

17. hey Aarrgghh!! you got a killer name dude!

18. I wonder what he did to fix the problem 5 years ago ?

19. ktech

ktech G&G Newbie

I switched over to the Encore as my primary platform two years ago, from bolt action Ruger, Winchester and an old 1903-A3 workhorse I rebuilt when I was 13. I haven't looked back. These are phenomenal platforms, especially for someone who travels as much as I do. I have two actions and four 18" - 22" bull barrels (30-06, .243, 12 Gauge and 5mm Craig) that fit in a small aluminum case that looks like a piece of computer equipment. It's really handy to be able to fly around without having to lug a full length rifle case around and be able to do any kind of shooting I would like. (I keep telling my wife that just one more barrel would turn this into a 7 continent kit). Each barrel give well under MOA accuracy and with two of the barrels paired with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9, I am a pretty happy guy. Each rifle cartridge gives me well under MOA accuracy, and these rifles can outshoot their owner any day of the week. One note: on the hammer extension, I ended up making my own that is symmetric (out both sides of the hammer) with some creative welding and 1/8" drill rod, making certain to keep the hammer mass as close to original as possible. It's not the most comfortable, but after reading about the problems with clamp-on hammer extensions, this seemed like a good compromise. Fingers crossed, but I haven't had any misfires yet.

20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I am not an owner but I have shot several and think they are great.Glad to hear from someone that uses one.I read an article about how fast you could get a second shot if needed.He stated it was almost as fast as a bolt.While I doubt that,I still believe you could do it fast enough. sam.