Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Choate makes a thumbhole varmint or sniper stock. McMillans look sweet but I think they're pretty pricey. One of Savages LE options includes a McMillan stock.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seen the ones from Choate, and I love Choate stocks. A little bulky though, unless you are target/varmint shooting. I haven't seen much more than these though...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
You might want to check into Mauser stocks, since Savage is based on a Mauser action they should fit. Can't swear to it tho. I know H&R interchanges with Mauser because I have a 98 Mauser in an H&R stock.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rebel-you mean H&R single shot rife stocks? I don't see how it would fit-got a pic to spot me?
As for the Mauser stock on a Savage, I wonder how the bolt screws would line up, or even if they would. A decent drop in is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Savage and Mauser are not interchangeable, the Savage receiver is a tubular cylinder and the Mauser is generally a forging that is flat on the bottom and involves countless machining operations. If you don't want to limit yourself to synthetic stocks there are several laminates out there. Check out http://www.boydboys.com/ as well as http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
myarmor said:
Rebel-you mean H&R single shot rife stocks? I don't see how it would fit-got a pic to spot me?
As for the Mauser stock on a Savage, I wonder how the bolt screws would line up, or even if they would. A decent drop in is what I'm looking for.
Nope, You've seen my 98 Mauser on the O3A3 section. The stock was for an H&R Ultra 300. only thing I had to do was widen the barrel channel because the Ultra had a featherweight barrel. Like I said I'm not sure the Savage will drop in. Best thing is to find someone with a Mauser that will let you try. I do know that several different manufacturers actions will fit.Just been awhile since I did mine I don't remember which ones do. The H&R stocks are cut for rounded recievers, if everything else lines up maybe you could find an H&R stock. Try Numrich gun parts www.gunpartscorp.com They've got a huge catalog that'll cost you about 20 bucks but it's got almost everything you can imagine and some things you can't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts