Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this thing for years. Forgot where I go it. Someone had sawed it off and trimmed down the stock as you can see. Just really want to know how old it is. It's a Remo-Popular Nitro model. Made in germany. Don't know if can date it by the ser# or the hashmarks. thanks for any help. Btw, I know it's not high dollar or anything.
Thanks!
Left side.jpg
Maker stamp and Serial number.jpg
Marks closeup.jpg
Model stamp.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Your gun is a shotgun, correct? IIRC, these and the Gehas were M98s that had the front locking lugs removed and a new bolt face silver soldered or brazed on. The 3rd locking lug is the only lockup...there is a thread on another site that I will send to you in a PM...

Reactions: neophyte

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,199 Posts
Sometimes there are markings on the underside of the action or the barrel. Maybe take it out of the stock and see if there are any?

Reactions: neophyte and ChaZam

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may drag it back out of the safe this wknd and tear it apart. It has a crack in the back of the stock. I wouldn't trust shooting it as it is for sure.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took the stock off and these markings are all I found. Any idea what they mean?
Image24.jpg
Image25.jpg
Image26.jpg

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
German?

A while back while looking for a Win 94 wood i came across a gun parts site.
Im thinking the firearms were seized by police and the actions cut to destroy them and see all related partls like barrels and stocks and trigger groups and magazines.
I can try to locate that site, its possible they might have a stock and barrel for some wierdly marked 12gauge.

https://everygunpart.com

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Some info on your markings here.
From what I see the barrel is 12 ga with a bore diameter between .719” and .729” at the time of proof. The proof date looks to be June 1926.
A number of other markings are explained at the site in the link provided.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some info on your markings here.
From what I see the barrel is 12 ga with a bore diameter between .719” and .729” at the time of proof. The proof date looks to be June 1926.
A number of other markings are explained at the site in the link provided.
Awesome info. Thanks!

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm a little confused. This looks to have been proof tested with Smokeless Powder??? Would this be able to shoot a regular 12 ga shell?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts