Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the local pawn shop has a beautiful Ruger .300 cal rifle (stainless on black)but i can't seem to find any info on the web about it's specs.. dependability, accuracy etc. does anyone have any experience with this gun or links? they want $500 cash with scope and if it's a good deal i would like to hurry up and get it before it's gone.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
dceptiv240:Hunting rifles usually dont sell that good this time of the year so I wouldnt be that nervous.I usually drop in and tease them a few times.As to the .300 Ruger I have no experience with one but take it it is another cartridge designed to do as good as something we already have like the .204ruger or Marlins lever revolution.They use special powders and bullets so you cant reload and match their balistics and if these special guns and ammo dont sell big time in a few years you have a rifle you cant find ammo for.I would look in to it very carefully.With all the old faithfuls I am leary of new cartridges that are almost equal to what we already have. samuel.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I am assuming its a Mark 77, chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum, the Mark 77 is a very dependable rifle, not known for extreme accuracy, but accurate enough for most tasks. Considering that the gun alone retails for $500.00, I would have to say the gun-scope combo is a great deal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i looked at the mark 77 hawkeye all weather .300 winmag

and yes i believe it's the one but it has a different stock than i've seen on the sight.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Depending on which actual model it is,Its hard to say but,Mk2 model 77 's start at 695.00 MSR or higher with an express model retailing for 1,625.00 so it may be a fair deal, with scope...You need to get us Brands and model numbers for accurate appraisals...
500 for a stainless .300 Mag is Not Out of Reason !
Rich

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is the .300 winmag and it has a simmons scope. but now that i went out to the local shooting range today i'm going another route.
as you can see on my avatar i got a simmons 2/8x32 scope so my money isn't their to grab it right now.i'm also going to get the equipment to do reloads as soon as possible for my .44.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
In that case, you must've seen the M 77 with the boat paddle stock.

it is the .300 winmag and it has a simmons scope. but now that i went out to the local shooting range today i'm going another route.
as you can see on my avatar i got a simmons 2/8x32 scope so my money isn't their to grab it right now.i'm also going to get the equipment to do reloads as soon as possible for my .44.
If ya need any help with loading data, I also load for the .44

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yes, i would love some help. i saw a few loading presses at the range, but i dont know what's the best for the money. or for that matter, what tips to go with, what powders, primer, etc... (i would like to stay with the 240 grain).as a personal preference, i really like the look of the platinum tipped with silver casings(i'm guessing nickel) that i 've seen on one other site, but i don't know what downsides might be involved. i'm sure they will be a little more costly but i can't even find casings that aren't the standard brass(the tips aren't as important to me as the casings, i just really like the silver casing look). any help or advice is appreciated.

and yes a boat paddle would be a fitting description for the .300's stock.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Recoil would be stout with a 300 win mag Ruger canoe paddle ( some ppl call it skeleton stock ) nothing a decent recoil pad would`nt fix.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so i need:

Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit

Lee Classic Loader 44 Remington Magnum

Lee Classic Loader 44 Special

Hornady New Dimension Custom Grade Nitride 3-Die Set 44 Special,44 Remington Magnum

Starline Brass 44 Remington Magnum Nickel Box of 500

Oregon Trail Laser-Cast Bullets 44 Caliber (431 Diameter) 240 Grain Lead Flat Nose Box of 500

Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner

and one webpage i was reading said it was best to pick up powder and primer at the local gun shop, what type powder is the best for my use? i would think the #9, but is there something better?

if i'm wrong on anything or i am missing else let me know.

i think i may be getting addicted here!

i didn't see shells for 44 specials, my cowboy shots were shorter than my magnums. would i need different shells or would the 44 special loaders powder measurement be sufficient with magnum shells. i think it wouldn't work or else the die kit wouldn't specify specials, huh?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
so i need:

Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit

Lee Classic Loader 44 Remington Magnum

Lee Classic Loader 44 Special

Hornady New Dimension Custom Grade Nitride 3-Die Set 44 Special,44 Remington Magnum

Starline Brass 44 Remington Magnum Nickel Box of 500

Oregon Trail Laser-Cast Bullets 44 Caliber (431 Diameter) 240 Grain Lead Flat Nose Box of 500

Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner

and one webpage i was reading said it was best to pick up powder and primer at the local gun shop, what type powder is the best for my use? i would think the #9, but is there something better?

if i'm wrong on anything or i am missing else let me know.

i think i may be getting addicted here!

i didn't see shells for 44 specials, my cowboy shots were shorter than my magnums. would i need different shells or would the 44 special loaders powder measurement be sufficient with magnum shells. i think it wouldn't work or else the die kit wouldn't specify specials, huh?
Yep, you appear to adequately set, and you need to use different dies, when loading .44 Special loads.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the three die set says they are for 44 special and 44 magnum is that not adequate?

and was the 44 magnum shells adequate for the special loads as well as the magnum (sorry, just wanting to be very clear on everything)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
One set of dies will reload both cartridges .44 special and .44 mag.
.44 special cases are about 1/4" shorter than the .44 magnum case.
They do not use the same case. Headstamps normally identify which is which.
Rich

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
the three die set says they are for 44 special and 44 magnum is that not adequate?

and was the 44 magnum shells adequate for the special loads as well as the magnum (sorry, just wanting to be very clear on everything)
Yes, it will work on whatever is listed, I am sorry for saying that it wouldn't, I just don't think sometimes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
cool i'll keep looking for some 44 special nickel cases then.
and thanks for everything
should this all be posted in some sort of reloading specific thread. it was all very helpfull to me i'm sure others would probably appreciate it as well.
maybe
"what's needed for reloading .44 cal ammunition"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i had already asked this in a previous post but i don't see it answered anywhere...

what powder do you recommend, the #9 or is something else better for the 44?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well it turns out i needed a casing holder to do it at all.and a funnel to make things easier.

just added the lee ram prime and another .44 casing holder to do my priming without a hammer. now i have everything except a tumbler. the lee classic loader is useless once i get the ram prime (except for the powder scoop making you feel more comfortable with the amounts,but even then it's weigh would change from scoop to scoop)a scale is a very useful tool also, i must say. and make sure it can read to the tenths of a grain my first one would measure to 20 grains but i didn't know if it was 20.0, 20.3 or 20.9.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts