close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Marlin model 80 and 81 fans?

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by 728shooter, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Addict

I've recently acquired a Marlin model 80E (original vintage 1934-35) and a model 81, which appears to be nearly new/unfired. The 80E needed a little "cleaning up" and refinishing, and I added an original 12R peep sight to it (which was missing). The 81 was clean as a whistle, just needed a wipe down with an oil finish. From what I have read, the 81 was only made from 1937-1940. After that, it was the 81D or 81DL in the late 40's and beyond.
    I haven't test fired either one yet and have heard that the 80 has a bit of a stiff trigger pull. Any input from you fans out there?

--728shooter

Attached Files:

2. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

That's two VERY nice examples of the breed :D

Polish the trigger/sear mating to a nice shine and you should be better off on the pull :)

But chances are, at their age, someone previous to you already did trigger mods to make 'em work nicely. Try 'em out before doing anything.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Yep, very nice indeed! I have the Model 80DL, with the peep sight. I replaced the flimsy Marlin sight with a more robust Lyman sight, and have a target-style globe sight up front. Massaged the trigger like Shrek suggests (a MUST on all Marlin bolt rifles!), and she's a good shooter. I like the heftier stock - much better for those of us with the build and arms of a Silverback Mountian Gorilla! :approve:

If you are interested in building a Marlin collection, also look for the Model 88 and 89 semiautos. Mine makes a factory Ruger 10-22 look sick, accuracy-wise. Similar 'man-sized' stock as the 80/81.

4. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Addict

Very nice pair of older Marlins you got there!! I personally love the old model 80/81's, they are great shooters.... I just picked up a Glenfield model 20 for $40, same as the Marlin 780, it was in rough shape on the exterior but had a clean and shinny bore, took her down to pins and springs, cleaned her all up and refinished the stock. Took her out yesterday to the range and was not disappointed with the performance!! dime sized groups @50 yards with el-cheapo Winchester xpert bulk ammo, gonna make her my drag around gun....Gotta love them Marlins....

5. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

Nice guns!
    I Picked up a mod.80 to go with my 60 and love it.

Attached Files:

6. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Addict

Appreciate all the compliments. I've had "Marlin-itis" for years now and I love the old classics. Nothing breaks my heart more than to see one in a pawn shop, dirty, beat up, abused, and neglected. That's why I have to take them home with me and give them the love and refurbishing that they need.....and then take them to the range!

There's nothing new out there that compares to a 70 year old Marlin shooting 2" groups....

--728shooter

7. flyingbrkracing

The shop where I found my 80 has another on the rack marked "parts gun",its missing the bolt and mag and looks a little rough for 50 bucks(which is a little more than I want to spend)

But then,it has the same stock as mine :thinking:

8. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Addict

If it's not all chewed up or cracked, the stock alone is worth $50 bucks.

--728shooter

9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

If it had the peep sight, it'd already be home ;)

10. flyingbrkracing

I got to thinking, and,well................I went back this morning and it followed me home.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      560.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      657.8 KB
      Views:
  11. flyingbrkracing

It didn't have a peep sight,but this one did.A Marlin Mod.55 12 gauge.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      622.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      721.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Big Dog

That Model 80 stock is a nice piece of wood - should look GOOD when refinished properly!

13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Ok, now as for the Bolt, numrich has a lot of parts, but be aware that the bolt is often something that will have to be hand-fitted to make it work just right.

It would amaze me if it was a drop-in deal that didn't require some work. But it happens.

14. flyingbrkracing

:happysad:Thank for the feed back guys,and sorry for hijacking the thread.
    I have a friend at work who has a friend who is VERY good at stocks (I have seen his work)

Numrich is currently out of stock on mod 80 bolts,any ideas where I may find one?

I'm going to check the auctions tonight.

15. Big Dog

Sometimes you can get lucky on fleabay and other auctions - I have found gun parts when a guy parts out an old broken gun or from the estate of a retired or deceased gunsmith. Check back with them every so often.

16. 728shooter

728shooter G&G Addict

XIDshooter -- Go on to Auctionarms.com and Gunbroker.com and type in Marlin 80 in the search bar. You'll find all sorts of Marlin 80 parts (and rifles) for sale. And yes, that stock will clean up very nicely once it's refinished! And remember; We want to see it when it's done!

--728shooter

17. flyingbrkracing

The guy who is going to do it just moved and is setting up his shop so it'll be a month or so before I can go ahead with it.:grumpy:

18. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Refinishing is actually pretty darn easy.

You grab some sanding sponges (coarse grit) and sand off the original finish. If it has scratches/etc, there's a tutorial for that ;)

After removing the old finish & repairing the dents/dings/scratches/etc...you then apply a coat of QUALITY stain...I personally HATE Minwax...so get the good stuff, there's plenty of high quality stain out there (Old Dad's, Formby's, General Finishes, Sherwin Williams, etc).

Check the color, if you are happy, stop & Tru Oil or Polyurethane it.
    (I don't mind Minwax Marine Grade poly's that much, pretty decent, but cheap)

Ta Da, yer done.

If in doubt of your own staining skill, grab a piece of 2x4 & try it first...you'll be surprised what you learn ;)

19. jjmill

jjmill G&G Newbie

plugging holes

So, I've got a question about refinishing the stock. I've uploaded a few pics. I picked up this 80DL from a friend of mine who neglected his rifle, and then, when I showed an interest, more or less gave it to me. Lucky me! It's in great shape, and shoots well, but I've been thinking about refinishing the stock. The only challenge I have is how to plug the holes someone made (probably trying to put on swivels for a sling). Any suggestions? I've thought about just wood putty, since I'm refinishing anyways, but it still won't really match. I've also heard of putting in a stainless steel screw and cutting off/sanding flush, but I'm not sure how well that'll turn out.

Attached Files:

20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I like to use FAMOWOOD wood putty, place it, let it dry, sand it lightly, then take a brown &/or black magik marker and paint it a bit, so that once you finish the whole thing, it looks like a typical Knothole ;)

The only person that will ever know that it ain't a knothole, is YOU :D
    And after awhile you may even forget that's what it is ;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted