Any one bag a Moose yet?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by AllAlaskan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. I was just curios if any one had bagged a big boy yet? Im going to go out this afternoon for a little bit outside of town and see if I cant bag one. I have heard of a couple people so far that have gotten a moose around here so figured Im ganna go try my luck tonight.

2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Well good luck on the moose. Don't believe we have em in NV and in UT it's a once in a lifetime draw.

3. Thanks, I dont have my hopes too high, learned not to do that lol. BUT I would be estatic if I got one. Even just a spike fork.

4. moosemike

moosemike G&G Newbie

If you get one make sure you show us some pics.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Our first ever Early Moose season closed last night at Midnite...There are too many leaves on the trees to see a moose right now. Our second season opens Sept.1-20th here...It should be cooler, less meat eating hornets to deal with, and leaves should be falling off the willows . so I'm waiting for now.
    Rich

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I am waiting too! I am waiting for Moose to wander down here from the northern part of the state! We do have black bears now so who knows!

7. Well went out sat for a few hours then did some walking didnt see any thing, So I drove up the road a little ways to explore and came back and sat for a little more. As I was walking back to my truck 2 moose stepped out of the woods but it was getting to dark and I THINK one of them was a spike but it was hard to tell and I wasnt about risk shooting a cow lol. Besides I think it was to dark to legally shoot one but its early in the seasen down here (Aug 25-Sept 25). The spot where the 2 popped out at was almost exactly where I was at earlier this afternoon So im thinking this Saterday morning Im ganna go back out early in the morning on that spot and that afternoon. Maby I will get lucky. O well still have more time plus Im suppose to go out up to Talkeetna in a couple weeks so who knows :D

The leaves are just starting to turn yellow so its really hard to see em down here atm too there moose. I just figured the more I go out the better my chances are, even though its early you never know. WHile I was out I did here about 4 gun shots go off through the whole afternoon. So im sure some one got a moose, or bear. Id Take either atm lol. Black bear that is, not ganna eat grizzly so no point in hunting em to me.

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

My friend Brad's Grandson got his first Moose North of Palmer the other day. He's 15, and shot a nice spike/fork.

9. nice :D Im not after a big rack, I would be happy with a Spike/fork or a Black bear even. I will problubly go back out early tomarrow morning too.

Where at did he get his moose Steve? Out by Jim creak or up more by Sutton?

10. I dont even hunt them anymore, to **** much work after you kill the big guys.
    somewhere along the line I have done to much damage to this old body.
    I pretty much just do the small game thing these days, short easy day hunts.

11. SwedeSteve

Closer to Sutton AA. And I def know what you mean Privateer !! These old bones just don't move like they used to !!

12. Well I went out yesterday saw a big bull, but he saw me first....Today I saw a spike fork. We pulled up to the spot where I wanted to get out and try some calling (more or less practicing calling lol) and I get out shut my door quietly and my buddy who was with me slams his door, unknowingly to us there was a spike fork about 40 yards away lol, as he slammed his door the moose jumped up and took off then stopped long enuph for me to see he was indeed a spike but Never got a good shot off. The one split second I had a shot I forgot to take my safety off. But the last 2 times I went out I saw 2 bulls for sure Which is a good sign. Im hoping that this meens its just a matter of time lol. I thought about going out again tomarrow but im running on very little sleep so hopefully day after tomarrow I will be up for another outing.

you live and learn...im still learning lol. Its still early in the seasen so im not to worried......yet.

13. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have had someone do the same thing while out hunting. What can you do? Making them walk home and think about what they did? Nah just have to give them a lot of crap and get a laugh or two out of it.

14. Ya he felt bad, every 5 mins he kept going "Dangit, I cant believe i did that! AWW....im sorry man" lol I know he felt bad but at the same time I know he didnt do it on purpose....if he had he would have been walking home lol.

15. wily1

wily1 G&G Addict Forum Contributor

Good luck with your moose hunt, I will be starting my archery elk hunt in a week or so. One of these years I'll go for moose. Good hunting in the north and east part of the province, a few around Brandon but archery draw only. In the north and east it's a general season and no draw but a bit of a drive. My elk hunting spots are close half hour give or take a few minutes.

16. ya the place where I have been hunting is about 20-30 mins from where I live, if i really wanted i coud get there in 10-15 but I drive real slow once i get on the trail and watch out in the swamps and fields (sorta fields lol) on the way there too.

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Best of luck AA. ,,,sam.

18. Thanks sam, I plan on going back out tomarrow morning. Maby I will get lucky :D

19. SwedeSteve

Did you find Bullwinkle yet ??

20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

And Mooseman & Moosemike have managed to escape being shot so far ;)