close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any reason why I should not buy a real Navy Mark 2 Mod 1 Garand?

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by killsnapz, Jul 3, 2014.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

Besides the stack of $100 dollar bills I will have to part with to get it shipped to me? It is the Mark 2 Mod 1 with the correct barrel marked with the 1010457 drawing number not a modified 30.06 barrel with the insert. I love Garand's but these babies do not come cheap. Orion 7 has a small amount of them. I called and spoke to Anthony about them. The shop for Orion 7 is right across the Long Island Sound in Long Island and I am on the Connecticut shore right across from them. According to an article in American Rifleman done last December there were less than 9000 Mark 2 Mod 1 rifle that were build with the specially machined 7.62 barrels made by Springfield for the contract. The article states that only about 32,000 were actually build for the Navy in all. So does that makes its hefty price tag of $1900 bucks worth it? I'm am on the fence here on this purchase but from the article in American Rifleman is sounds like it is a pretty rare Garand variant.

Michael

2. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    My personal opinion if its what you want and you can afford it who cares what others think about the price. I personally would LOOOOVE to have one but can't at this time afford it. If I had the extra money I'd go for it just because I'd love to have it. BUT I would never buy a gun no matter how bad I want it if it would put me in any kind of financial hardship. For one its not good sense. For another its just hurts too much to have to sell a gun you love because your in desperate need for money (believe me I've had to do it yrs ago. It DOES hurt)! But if its what you WANT and can afford I say go for it. It's your money and ya can't take it with ya so you might as well enjoy it while ya can.

GSFixit likes this.

3. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    And remember if ya do get it??? Pics, Pics, Pics!!!!!

GSFixit likes this.
  4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

It sounds like you know what to look for, but I know that quite a few of these have turned out to be fakes. Just make sure all your ducks are in a row before dropping that kind of cash on one.

my1871colt45 likes this.
  5. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    CMP had a bunch of Navy Barreled receivers awhile back and I bought one and built it into a full rifle, its a real nice shooter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you just want a Garand in 308 I would go with a CMP Special for under $1000. All reparkedmetal, new Criterion barrel, new commercial stock
    JMO

cjleete likes this.
  6. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

Yes I can take the loss on $1900 bucks fortunately without having to worry about paying the important bill no problem but I always like to ask fellow enthusiast about any gun purchase that involves this much cash. I do absolutely love this rifle no doubt but I always like to get reassurance from fellow enthusiast.

Orlando from what the article stated CMP ended up with all of the Navy 7.62 chambered rifles. They sold off many of them as barrel actions to places like Orion 7 and other shops that do Garand overhauls. I know CMP always has the lowest prices on any Garand rifle but I just hate the whole process. Sometimes placing orders only to find out two weeks later sorry were all out your not getting one to waiting up to 6 months to actually get it the rifle. To having to pay to join a certified CMP club that I will never be actually able to enjoy because there are none here. Me personally I would rather pay the higher price and just get my rifle in a couple of days. I whish I lived closer to one of their stores where you can just go in and walk down the rack and pick the one out you want and pay for it and take it out the door with you. I am so jealous of those who live close enough to them when they post pictures of their new rifles!

7. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I doubt CMP sold any of the Navy barreled receivers to any commercial vendors. They have been known to swap rifles.etc for other things they need .
    Orion 7 does buy up collections and build rifles and I suppose they may have bought a bunch of the BR from CMP.
    As far as purchasing from them you could have a 308 Garand in as little as 60 days, many are shipping much faster than that.
    A cheap way to fullfill club membership portion of CMP's requirements is the M1 Collectors Club, only $14 for a full year
    I live about 120 miles fromthe North Store and havent been there for several years. They have more mail order than you can walk in and pick off the shelves right now.
    Good luck on your decision

8. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

For $900 you ought to be able to make a trip to CMP.

Verne

9. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

Verne I hope to one day be able to visit a CMP store in person before they close down which apparently is going to happen someday. I use to think nothing of jumping in one of my cars and making road trips to just about anywhere when I was younger. The good Lord only known how many thousands of miles I have logged with by behind in a seat and my hands on a steering wheel driving high end cars like Buick Grand Nationals Corvettes all over the United States. Unfortunately I do not even own a single car right now which is even more ironic because up until four years ago I always had several cars in my personal collection. Medical problems make long distance driving for my impossible unfortunately so for Now I am stuck with what I can buy with my C&R or find at local gun shops. Walking into a CMP location must be like walking into Garand heaven for those lucky enough.

10. Don't feel bad. I went in the CMP store at Camp Perry during last year's matches and all they had was beaters.

killsnapz likes this.
  11. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    A beautiful Navy Garand 308 sold on the CMP forum today for $1150.00

12. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Ain't exactly given em away. Is that the going price these days for most?

13. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    One in excellent condition $1000-$1200 is average . There werent only a limited number of these made .

14. screw the CMP
    I would much rather simply spend money and get a product
    I won't play games with them.
    I hate the stupid hoops they try (but fail in my case) to make a cunsumer jump through just to buy something that can be bought elsewhere for a better product and a sometimes the same or even a better price

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  15. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Good, that leaves more for the rest of us!!!

16. IF
    I wanted one bad enough
    I'd just get one on gunbroker or at a pawnshop etc

17. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Yes you would especially since CMP hasnt sold Navy Garands for quite some time now. Funny thing you hate CMP but would go to Gunbroker or a Pawn shop becuase you say you could get a better product and cheaper. Guess where that Navy Garand came from, CMP!

18. for a competitive price no joining some club and no guessing game as to if they even HAVE any.

shanebrews likes this.
  19. the above are just my opinions and they are only worth something to me.
    whatever any of you guys do
    I wish you the best
    and want you to have fun.

20. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Enthusiast

I here you man. I don't actually hate CMP but I am with you on the jumping through all of the hoops to give them your money. I am just like you here is my money please send me my product. So much so that I will pay extra to not have to jump through all the hoops. Obviously others do not mind as much but I prefer thing to be a simple as possible and when I order something I expect it to be on its way to me within a couple of days. I realize what CMP is and what they do and the way they operate just does not suit the way I like to do business.

shanebrews and Mosinnewbe like this.