Any shade tree Mechanics in here?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MosinRuger, Sep 22, 2020.

1. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

If something was freezing, as you say, I wouldn't think it would thaw out & start working again, in the few seconds it takes to turn the engine off & back on.

neophyte likes this.
  2. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

Welp, late to the party as usual. I started bending my own wrenches in my early teens, too poor, or spending money elsewhere. (started chasing skirts at an early age, lol)

Over the course of time, I worked my way up to a crew chief job for a couple of pro drag race team's. ( I'm not really a mechanic, but I trouble shoot real good) All along the way, I bought junkers, fixed 'em, coaxed more life out of them. sold off the good ones, junked the losers. For the first 30 years of marriage, SWMBO usually had her choice of 5 or 6 set's of keys, on the "will run" side of the keybox and a back yard full of contenders. She got to the point of "I can put a baby seat in anything with doors" Both daughters survived. (All of them check their own fluids and air and can change an inside dual)

She's a good girl that may have been mistreated a bit over the last 50 years, but she is still riding with me... (What a sense of humor)
    I saw, in an old VW book, the quote: "it is good to come to friendly terms with your ***, for he bears thee" Tru Dat.

Anytime you can add a useful skill to your tool box, like u joints, don't pass it up. as your skills grow, your tool box gets bigger. When it takes 6 or 8 wheels to move it, start tapering off a bit.

Yes, boob toob is a good instructional tool, but as stated, don't blindly follow the first boob you find. I was cursed with a bunch of family/friends that could not operate a nail file, so I got lots of practise and learning, most of it unpaid, but you can make a bit of side money if you can shame them into paying you.

You are following a nobel tradition, drive on.
    I've quit wrenching, too old, weak ,sick and tired. In the 80's the new cars got way too complicated / computerized for me to work on. None of my current rolling stock has a computer in it, and I prefer it that way. Guess I just lived too long.

RED

neophyte, goat roper, blaster and 2 others like this.

3. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    i feel like about the early to mid 2000's is when they started getting too computerized, with a basic obdII reader i can diagnose/ clear the ecu codes and usually fix whatever part or sensor is bad.

pretty soon here i feel that I will need to replace my timing chain and its tensioners, which is not a simple job, you have to completely take apart the front of the motor, make sure the timing doesnt get messed up in the process, put it all back together with a bunch of new seals/ gaskets.. its about a $1500-2500 job depending on who does it and where. so there is a lot of incentive to DIY it, the kit of parts is only about $250 bucks.

I'm dreading that one personally. Im acutally considering spending the $2500 on swapping in a vk56 v8 engine from a totaled nissan titan. its acutally not much harder than swapping the vq40 out for a newer one, and not much more expensive than the labor for a timing chain job.

plus, wouldnt v8 sound be nice!?

neophyte likes this.
  4. redcaddy51

redcaddy51 G&G Evangelist

swapping in that V-8 is likely a lot more complicated than meets the eye. I've seen a couple of those types of swaps done by factory trained tech's They can require pin swaps in connectors, re flashing of ECM's and so forth, not trying to dissuade you, but were it me I would do some in depth research.

In the bad old days, we just fabbed or adapted engine and tranny mount points, fabricobbled a drive shaft and made the fuel and water plumbing leak free, spin, start, time and go. What you contemplate ain't nearly so simple. Go get a real smart PAPER BUDDY... Go for it, wait for the v-8 thump.

RED

neophyte, blaster, Brandhard and 2 others like this.
  5. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Check on the firewall side of the heater box. IRC there is a set of pieces that look like springs there. they are the controls for heat and cool. One of them might be bad.

neophyte likes this.
  6. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If I can do the work, I do it. Started out that way in high school simply because I could not afford to pay anyone to do the work. Now I can better afford it but too many garages just do not do what you paid them to do.

As for the electronics, my son-in-law is a Ford master mechanic. He is great with transmissions, emissions systems diagnostic, and just about everything electronic. He has access to schematics for almost any make of vehicle.
    Plus I got his employee discount for my F150 at the dealership he works at.

(That's the biggest reason I drive Fords - resources! I don't care what make a vehicle is if it starts, stops, steers when and where I want)

I will say that if you do not have air tools and an air compressor, it's a huge struggle to change out suspension parts. And I recommend AirCat impact wrenches. Don't waste your time with the cheap Campbell-Hausfeld air tools Walmart sells.

MosinRuger and neophyte like this.
  7. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Evangelist

My bet, and it's just that, is that when you restart the engine, the computer checks what position the blend door is in, and recalibrates it. I don't know what else besides the blend door would cause it to blow heat rather than just have AC cut out.

Junction15 and neophyte like this.
  8. Being chronically broke and refusing to pay someone else to do a job I should be able to do as a teenager meant I learned to do a heck of a lot of things. All of the repairs I can do are self taught. And Mom deserves a good bit of credit, too. She gave me a truly sage bit of advice; if you can read, you can do.

So there's a fair bit I can do and a fair bit I can learn to do. My tame shade tree mechanic J can do a good bit more. If after I watch videos and check the repair manuals (almost any car repair manual you'll ever need are free online) I decide I can't, I ask him. If J can't do it, I take it to the shop.

I can replace tie rods, brake pads, lines and master cylinders. Alternators, starters, radiators and hoses, as well as most belts and plugs and wires are easy. As long as it doesn't involve the intake manifold orwelding, I can do the exhaust. In terms of electrical, I can replace bulbs, fuses, plug and play sockets, batteries and battery cables. After that it's above my pay grade because I can't read the schematics.

There are some things I don't do anymore like the brakes because I've come to the conclusion that other people's lives depend on it being done right, and if it's not I want someone else to blame. Well, other than helping to bleed the lines. That I'll still do.

The same goes for home repair. It's a slightly longer list of things I can do. :)

goat roper, MosinRuger and neophyte like this.
  9. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Oh hell yes, I guess you can say I was born into it more or less since most of the guys in my family are mechanics that pretty much did all their own work, and for the most part I jumped in with both feet first and took after them. Granted I've made my fair share of mistakes along the way but that's also how we learn and I did all manner of wrenching on things in the shop at home at friends on the side of the road & just about everywhere else you can think of. I've mentioned it a few times but my most recent vehicle purchase was for my 2006 Hyundai Tucson GLS sport SUV & a 1600cc Roadstar V-Twin.

They both still run great but now that Summer's over and the weather has turned a bit cooler there are a few things I need to take care of on both of them, the most interesting of which could be replacing the 16in internally wired Ape Hanger handlebars on my bike and a possible exhaust system replacement on my SUV. Not too long ago I decided to do a complete brake job on the Tucson and after pricing parts I figured out it was cheaper to just upgrade it from the factory brakes to aftermarket slotted and cross-drilled Brake discs with ceramic brake pads and stainless steel Hardware thanks to a complete brake kit from Detroit Axle for something like $170 . I have 3/4 of the brake job done, I just need to go out and finish the rear passenger corner now that I bought a new impact driver and a 5 lb shot filled dead blow hammer so I can get the sticky brake drum off.

ChaZam, MosinRuger and neophyte like this.
  10. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    so your right, there is more to it than meets the eye, but at this point( 15 y/o vehicle) its not exactly custom anymore. its been done many times now and there are companies that make alot of the hard to diy parts and there are part lists availble, and you can basically get all the parts needed by buying a t boned totaled titan. for a couple grand.