Anybody been seeing any good bucks yet?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by roverboy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

I wondered if anybody had been seeing any good bucks. So far I've not. I need a good trail camera bad. All I've seen so far is young bucks. A few spikes, 3 points and such. I know there should be some around here. I passed on a nice deer last year. Looked like a 3 1\2 yr. old 8 point.

2. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I have been watching at my friends farm towards dusk and have seen 2 nice bucks between 8 to 10 points and one drop dead guy non-typical that I am gonna try to get with my bow, he isn't really that great about like the other 2 but with drop tines and other little oddities, i seen him within 50 yards of my tree stand so in 30 days he is mine!

EDIT: I said he was drop dead cause he is the first non-typical I have seen outside of the Outdoor Channel

3. i went with my cousins to put the cams out the other night, nothing yet, but hopefully soon.

4. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

I haven't been seeing many deer at all. Last night when I got off work there were six does and a couple yearlings in the bean field beside the warehouse. They must have figured out that it's easy food with no chance of being shot. I did hang some new stands the other day, there is lots of promising sign. Hopefully this is the year I get one worth bragging about.

5. I've seen a few decent bucks around....Only problem is they were on posted land or they were at a farm where the guy has people who pay him to hunt there. Have seen a little basket racked 6 point at the house, and it had a smaller friend that I couldn't tell what it was due to it being a jumbled mess.

6. I've seen lots of little guys and there is a spike on the side of the road I live on, but I have seen to big bucks - one 8-10 pointer and the other was a 10pt - saw them at night in a residential area. I guess I saw them at the end of July still in velvet man they were pretty.

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Not yet. I fried my camera last season and haven't replaced it yet (too broke) and we haven't been out there hardly any this year. I need to go get the blind cleaned up and the feeders moved since my FIL apparently doesn't want us hunting in our usual spot (he wants us to fence off about 10 acres in the NW corner where there's only been one decent deer shot in several years. Last year I shot two bobcats within 30 mins. and saw several turkeys cross the fence on the neighbors place, but never saw a single deer on our side of the fence until after dark.

8. I keep seeing a 7 point buck on my way home. It is thin but has a nice rack. Wish I could find a GF like that.

9. hahaha don't we all

10. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Saw what looked like a good'un last night driving home.

11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Deer or Dear?? :D

12. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Ok, here's my Deer cheater method.

Drive up & down the roads until you find a deer crossing sign...
    Best places have several car crashes due to deer in road ;)
    Check with Highway Patrol, they know where the trouble spots are.
    Public Land preferred. Cut a deal with owners if private.
    Get satellite photos of the area and look where the deer are trailing up...
    Pick a spot with three or more trails intersecting...about a half-mile from the road.

Setup and wait...you'll get something for dinner ;)

13. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

deer

14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    hoping this guy sticks around for another month.

Attached Files:

15. good looking boy I wish those boys I saw were on the land I hunted as opposed to land I don't

16. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Lefty O, he should be good when the velvet sheds. It may've already. Don't take that long to shed. He might score decent.

17. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

How about these [​IMG] [​IMG] This is less that 50 yards out the back door of my home.
    Steve

18. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Saw a nice 8 point yesterday evening. Looked like about 16" wide. Good long points.

19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    here he is minus velvet.

Attached Files:

20. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    that was the wrong deer!

Attached Files: