Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AR doesn't like steal cased ammo at all. I don't know if the primers are really hard and that's the reason or what. Just wondered if anybody else has had problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,252 Posts
My AR doesn't like steal cased ammo at all. I don't know if the primers are really hard and that's the reason or what. Just wondered if anybody else has had problems. Thanks.
Since you've mentioned hard primers as a question is ignition the main problem or something else?
I'll admit that I don't run much if any steel cased ammo in my AR's but primer ignition shouldn't be an issue as most 5.56NATO ammo has hard primers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Not cleaning powder residue in chambers is usually the only issue , because most guys are lazy. You should see the filth in my PTR-91 rifles after just 40 rds. !

Steel cases allow more residue to build up on chamber walls, because steel won't expand as much as brass.

A gun owner often uses a good bit of steel-cased ammo, then Switches to softer Brass ammo.
The brass expands more and can get pushed into thick residue in the chamber (left there when shooting steel-cased ammo). Cases push into this gunk can be harder to extract. There's nothing wrong with your Extractor.

"But them dudes on the Internet say ...".

Wet a cleaning brush -maybe a few patches - with Ballistol (etc) regularly and rub your chamber with it , and don't worry about "steel ammo".:rolleyes: Time required: approx. 15-30 seconds.

Even some Essen Germany 🇩🇪 natives don't like to clean their guns, i.e. my friend who grew up there in the state of NRW.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The only issue I ever had regarding steel-cased ammo is exactly that. Years back bought a cheap beater AR, used. When I took it out to shoot it fired exactly one round, brass 5.56, got a stuck case. When I got home I rodded out the casing and did a good scrub on the chamber. Put an o-ring on the extractor spring too, standard practice for me. Haven't had a problem since.
I try not to mix firing steel with firing brass in the same gun on any given outing. Just because.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I am somewhat amazed that the Russians were able to come up with steel cased ammo that worked. The US never had much luck with it..
And amazingly, I have never had a problem with steel cased ammo in an eastern bloc or Chicom weapon. Maybe it’s the chamber dimensions, I dunno. But they run all day, never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
I never shoot any steel cased in my AR's. I do however in my SKS's and VZ58 with no issues yet. It may be dirty burn residue from powder or the coating on the cases of the metal cased ammo. It actually turns to like a lubricant when fired from the heat but then gets into action and receiver and dries in there causing issues. I guess lots of cleaning.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
reverndg: Maybe the easier operations of steel cases in "eastern Bloc" rifles is mostly due to the fact that almost all are piston-operated, vs. D.I. ?

I have very little experience with ARs (only my former D.I. M&P), but my suspicion (just that) is that a piston-operated AR might avoid some of the issues which are linked to extra residue fouling in the D.I. types?
There are so many issues connected, it seems, with the very tiny gas tubes in standard D.I. ARs. Maybe my impression is mistaken.

All of my present centerfire rifles, and these followed a milsurp bolt-action 'interest phase', are now the Czechpoint VZ-58 (op rod + a 'piston', like an SKS), the imported AKMs,

and Roller-Delayed blowback PTR-91s (HK-91 clones).

Out of at least 7,000 rds, only about 3 cases didn't quite extract/eject properly: just two rounds in the Maadi AKM, and only one in my pair of PTR-91s (1 out of over 1,100 total rds.).
All ammo is steel-cased 7.62x39 or steel-cased .308.

rando: the lacquer coatings seem to require a super high temperature to melt.

Rob Ski (with AKOU Channel), who has tested Tens of Thousands of rounds in a large number of AKMs, VZ-58s etc doesn't ever seem to have mentioned any lacquer melting and then sticking in chambers. I've watched a number of his videos and might have missed such a factor. He controls barrel temperature - :sneaky: but maybe his ammo has polymer coatings.

I've only heard/seen him describe premature (low-grade comm. steel) metal deformation in various areas, sometimes relatively early fails with No-Go and Field headspace gauges etc.

RAS 47 1000rds Down - True Lies! - YouTube

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have one AR in 7.62x39 and shoot a lot of steel cased stuff in it. There aren't many manufacturers using lacquer coating anymore and that was a myth anyways, it was the steel expanding less, allowing carbon buildup, then running brass cases stuff after without doing a bit of cleaning first. Most steel cases stuff is polymer coated now, as far as I know Brown Bear is the only one still using lacquer coating on their stuff.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have run steel cased ammo in my SKS, Mac-90, Mini-14, Mini - 30, SVT-40, Mosin's, and the VZ45. The one ammo I had issues with were the Golden Tiger branded ammo in 7.62x39. All other brands ran well, exceptionally dirty, but did run. I do not shoot steel cased pistol ammo. My experience with steel cased pistol ammo has been problematic. Never could figure out the problem - either would not eject or feed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Vast numbers of guys must be allowing their chambers to get Very dirty, and as writerinmo reminded us, steel cases allow much more residue to accumulate in chambers, whereby Then using brass cased ammo results in brass expanding Into all of that gunk.

I'm not surprised that there are feeding + extraction issues.

I need just 30 seconds to rub Ballistol on a couple of patches, and swirl it around the chambers, followed by wiping it out. What's so tedious about That .... ?:confused:
And I only do this every 100-200 rds. or so - but it works.

It was the same method when I had the M&P AR-15, but I only used steel-cased ammo over the several Hundreds of rounds. Traded the rifle for something with character-a Hun. AMD-65 !
What a rugged beast with Character. ;)"SA 2000 M" is underneath the receivers in the 'true' AMDs.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
sweets is for copper so no.
a good wet brushing will generally get it out.
otherwise you gotta use something that breaks the lacquer down [you know like lacquer thinner,, stuuff you don't want on a wood stock] and then keep cleaning it out till dry.

the 5.7 cartridge also uses lacquered cases even though they are brass.

personally i stay away from them except in my one SKS, i pretty much only use them in it.
it doesn't like brass at this point, i'm okay with that [and i could probably scrub it out] the other one only gets brass cases.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Will Hoppes or Sweets remove this? I have fires quite a bit of lacquered steel 7.62x39 out of my SKS. I've never noticed an issue.
The lacquer coating doesn't "melt" and gum up inside the rifle, that's a myth that has been disproven. People see the soot and carbon and aren't ware of the fact that steel simply doesn't expand like brass. You simply can't get your chamber to the temps necessary to alter the lacquer. Don't shoot brass after steel without running a couple of wet patches ( Hoppes is my go-to) if you feel the need to fire both through a rifle.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
This is an old old story, same problem same solutions. Patrick Sweeney has a good book on building ARs as do many others. few simple rules. You DO NOT need a rough chamber to hold the case in place. Every AR should have a polished chamber. A mirror is not required but does not hurt. They hold less crud.

ARs are meant to be run wet. Google the Vickers video where he dips an AR in motor oil and then shoots it. I like the Ballistol but WD 40 is wonderful for squirting in the chamber.

A hot barrel is going to cause issues sooner or later. If it is too hot to touch, stop shooting steel in it. spray it with water, or WD 40 or cool aid, anything to cool it down. If you are doing 5 mag dumps in a row and a brass or steel allow case gets stuck in the chamber, that was your choice. The steel will shut down quicker.

Some steel cases are better than other, Silver Bear is great, never had on hand up, Wolf and Tullamo hang up easily when hot.

Keep it clean and keep it wet.

Hard primers are not a problem if the BCG is clean and wet. I have ARs, Mini 14, Mini 30, AKs and SKS and all of them, the ARs are picky, they need to be kept clean and wet, did I say that twice>

I even reload some steel cases, more on that later.

Reactions: neophyte
1 - 20 of 23 Posts