close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

anybody here load buckshot?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by toolyfolk, Apr 17, 2002.

1. toolyfolk

toolyfolk G&G Newbie

I'm looking to reload some #4 buckshot for hunting coyotes at close distances (around 50 yards, give or take). I've never reloaded buckshot. Are there special wads needed for the bigger bb's, or can I assume that an ounce is an ounce is an ounce, and just use a wad for an ounce of shot. (or maybe an ounce and an eight)

If you're willing to share a favorite recipe I would appreciate that to.

Thanks for the input.

2. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Although I do not reload shotgun shells I looked up the process. If you already reload for the shotgun this will mean more to you than me. My loading manual basicly stated that an ounce of buckshot was the same as one ounce of #8"s. they only time wad selection was most critical was when steelshot was used. The wad had to protect the barrel from the steel shot. I have also looked into some buckshot loads and they have a buffer inside to keep the pellets spaced out so they don't all try to go into the choke at once. I hope this help's you as it is the best I can do

3. Buckshot

I have the molds needed if anyone wants to make their own buckshot. I have 4 cavity molds in 8 different round ball sizes.

Thanks fitz_grips@hotmail.com

4. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    toolyfolk,

I load buckshot as follows. I use only Win or Rem. compression formed cases, Win red AA wads Win 571 powder or Hodgson HS7, and Balistic products #47 buffer w/motor mica added. I use #3 buck but that dosen't make much difference as long as you weigh your total load(buckshot + buffer).

Assembled as follows. Size and prime cases with Win 209 primers. Charge cases with 35.5 gr. of Win 571 (weigh each charge). Seat wad with 50-60 lbs of wad pressure to make sure that it is firmly seated on the powder. Nest the buckshot in layers covering each layer with buffer as it is placed in the load this insures that you get the maximum # of buckshot in each shell and control the height of the shot collum so to leave extra room for the crimp. With the shot arranged this way it won't compress like small shot, so a little extra room is needed.

I killed several coyotes at 60-65 yards with this load, and it does thump them quite hard. Only had to shoot one twice and have never lost one.

Dave375