close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anybody Here?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Hans R Colt, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

All Hakim owners please assemble!! I know there's more than two out there! Anyone have any suggestions on how to loosen a tight gas adjustment valve(besides a ball-peen hammer attack)??

Also, any advice on what bullet weight your rifles prefer? Mine just didn't like that cheap turk stuff.

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I've heard penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench works... I've got one that needs work loosening also and what is it with that gasport tool that is so hard to find?

Jesse

3. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

I saw one a long time ago at a gunstore and the man wanted $50 for it...I settled for a crescent wrench from the dollar parts bin and I haven't looked back...maybe the Gator Grip will work; I'll let you know when I get back home.

4. Jesse

Really tough accessory to find and the cheap plastic ones don't work too well.
    I will have to say that of all the semi-auto military rifles that the Lungmann and the Hakim are the two most accurate I've ever shot. You'd better be careful loading though... I had a Hakim once almost take my thumb off!

Jesse

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I thought Ljungman had a J in it. We are talking about the 6.5 mm rifle here, right? And we may as well add the Rashid, it has the same action, scaled to the 7.62.

6. Jesse

Right you are... Rasheed needs to be added and will be. Have you ever held a Rasheed? I passed on one for $200.00 in 1995; I was suffering from a common case of stupidity at the time... something I think all gunowners have suffered from. Thanks for the heads up on the spelling I was typing in a hurry yesterday and overlooked that. I'll fix that and add the Rasheed.

Jesse

Last edited: Mar 24, 2002
  7. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I took my gas port apart & cleaned it . For a port tool , get a 1/4" nut driver & use a Dremel to cut a notch out of it , large enough for the " point " of the pie shaped gas adjustment .

Be sure to keep the gas turned down , if you are shooting the Turk ammo , it will pull the rim off the brass , if the gas is turned up too high . :-(

Be sure to remember the Turk ammo is very corrosive , clean accordingly . I use Shooters Choice that smells of ammonis ( dribble some down the gas tube ) followed by Hoppies # 9 ( dribble some down the gas tube ) .

Wyr
    God Bless

8. (OK I will try this again..)

Roll Call, Will all Hakiem users please assemble at your local range to annoy the people who are on each side of the bench you are using.

I use 150 GR Hornady #3232 in mine, loaded sort of weak to perserve the brass.

There was a guy in California who had "parted out" a bunch of Hakiems, I don't know if he is still in bussiness-I will have to find the address and phone #. He DIDN'T have any spare Mags, the ones i saw at a local show were $65 EA. Bayonets and orgional Stripper clips are rare.

(Jesse, I will see your error and raise you one, I had 2 Webly-Fosbury revolvers in my hands for $75.00 EA. This was at a show in FL 20 Years ago.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2002
  9. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I would like to get a Hakim in good shape myself. A friend said he had one and offered to sell it cheap. I was appalled when I saw the gun. It had been severely bubbatized! The stock was totally butchered and much of the action, including the gas tube was hacked off, making a very heavy, ugly, bolt action. Oh, and it was covered in green spray paint.
    BTW: Jesse, I know it is pronounced "rasheed", but I am fairly certain it is spelled RASHID, with an "I".

10. Klaus, I know where some are. "Palidin Arms" in Longmont CO. Be prepared to spend for it, he know what he has. Also check the shows, they turn up. Hope this helps...

11. METZGER

METZGER G&G Newbie

Gas Adjustment

Hey,
    I also used a notched out 1/4" socket to turn my gas adjustment. It was pretty hard to turn, even with a 3/8" drive ratchet. It has freed up some since the first time though. I don't know if I would really recommend it though because it can chew up the pie shaped knob a little. I think I need to get the proper tool, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    My Hakim didn't like the Turk ammo either. It likes PMC.

12. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Hakim Likes What Kind of Ammo?

Thank you for the input on the ammo. I've got some PMC stashed away for a rainy day; when I come back stateside, I'm going to try the Remington ammo, but maybe I should be less of a cheapskate and buy a carload of Sellier & Bellot...can't go wrong with that stuff.

What I did shoot was Turk stuff, both nickel jacket and copper jacket...shot really high at 300 yards, and a hassle to clean the gas system.

Also tried the Portugese match stuff that SAMCO Global arms has for sale...shot a little better, but not as accurate all around as the S&B...I guess I've answered my own question!

196 grain is what mine likes the best, not much shot dispersion with that bullet weight, unlike the Turk 156(?). Funny thing, though...the Turk is more accurate in my k98; go figure!

13. Hans, that turk stuff WAS loaded for the 98K's. most of the stuff shows a 1942 headstamp. I'll have to recheck my history books but I think the Turks were on the Axis side in WWII.

14. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

I thought the Germans standardized their loads to 196 grain for less logistic headaches, but I'm probably wrong...I'm gonna check the specs listed in my Jane's Infantry Weapons when I get back...they have an ammo section with specs from different military inventories...

15. Hans, I have some German 1942 7.92 ammo I will pull one and weigh the bullet, 196 GR seems heavy to me, but i never thought about it . I run 150's in mine and it likes them. Let me know what you find.

16. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    REM.303 - The Turks were Allies during WWII.

During WWI, they were aligned with Germany, and I believe they were the ones who taught the Germans how to get rid of masses of peoples. Their decimation of the Armenian people was ghastly, eliminating as many as 40 million in the time from about 1875 through about 1926, when Attaturk became the leader (of the young Turks). At that point the Turks realized the Armenian was an extremely hardworking soul, and excellent businessmen; the source of a lot of Tax Revenue with which to support a Turk Government.

There is no doubt about the Turk and his ability to fight in combat, with minimum resources. When unleashed upon a class of people they are ruthless, and after WWI from 1918 thru 1926 killed about 6 million Armenians.

The Armenian is indigenous to the area we refer to as Turkey, while the Turk is from Turkistan, and populated Turkey when the Mongol Hordes of Ghengis Khan penetrated southern Europe all the way to Spain. The Turks had joined up with Ghengis Khan, and as a reward I believe the whole of Anatolia and immediate surroundings was given to them.

If I remember correctly that a part of the Armenian population of Biblical times were referred to as the Hittites. The Euphrates and Tigris Rivers originate in Turkey in the Eastern part of the Anatolian Plateau. The point where the two rivers enter the sea, is Iraq, and just to the North of that, South of Bagdad is where Adam and Eve were reported to have been in The Garden of Eden.

17. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

They did not have any relationship to the Mongols and neither the Mongols or the Turks got far into western Europe. I think you are confused with the Spanish MOORS, who came up from Morocco. The Ottoman empire repeatedly tried to push into Europe, but they were repeatedly stopped by the Byzantine empire, for about 800 years.

18. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

I thought the only barrier to the Turks conquering Europe were the kingdoms of the Czechs, Slovaks, and what eventually became the Austro-Hungarian Empire...oh, I forgot about the massive military navy of the Venetians, to whom the Turks were reliant for European goods like wool, purified metals, lumber, etc.

Oh let's not forget the various little kingdoms and principalities in the area we now call Russia.

I looked up the info in my Jane's Infantry Weapons, and the bullet weight it lists in the German category was 12.7 grams...anyone know the conversion to SAE? It lists Yugoslavian ammo as 12.85 grams.

19. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

This is for REM .303 re the Turks...

I was talking to this old Korean war vet who was stationed at an unnamed hill which was always under constant attack from PRC and North Korean human wave attacks. However, there was an adjacent hill where Turks were holding the real estate, and they never got attacked...they would have big bonfires with dancing and music...I asked why, and he said they left some "visual aids" for the Comms to look at...namely, their fellow proletariat comrades, or rather, parts of them, on wooden stakes.

20. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

1 gram = 15.43236 grains

12.7g = 196gr
    12.85g = 198gr