Anybody Keeping up with the Heritage Models?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mec, Mar 23, 2002.

1. mec

mec Guest

This is number 130 of the first batch of model 24s. It's quite a good shooter. I temporarily mounted a dot sight and found it would shoot 1" 25 yard groups with the first two handloads I tried and the 165 grain corbon jhp

2. Cuzzin Mitch

Cuzzin Mitch G&G Newbie

Hey thar cuzzin! That's a reel purty sootin iron ya got thar!!
    Yea I been eyeballin' them things ever since
    they came out.But fer what ya pay fer one o' them, ya can get 3 of these here in my neck o' the woods(see pic below)This is ma Sundy-go-ta-meetin'piece.
    I have always been a lover of the old N frames.
    I currently have 5.3 M-27's, a Brazilian contract
    2nd model that I had hard chrome refinished by
    Checkmate's in 45ACP,and for the finale......
    a pre M-26 model 1950 HE target in 45ACP.
    What caliber is yer HE? 45 Colt er 44 SP.?
    Good shootin to ya cuzzin!Later,Cuzzin Mitch. :D

3. mec

mec Guest

Shot the horton 24 today. At three yards, I yanked leather and fired 12 rounds in two round bursts from low point. It felt really fast and the 6.5" barrel really radars in on the target. At 7 yards I went to isoseles two handed and fired another 12 in two round controlled pairs. Same thing from 15 yards only a bit slower.

4. mec

mec Guest

This is a revolver that begs to be shot.

5. mec

mec Guest

Dry creek 255 Ballisticast 4 Bullseye

6. Cuzzin Mitch

Cuzzin Mitch G&G Newbie

:target:purty nice shootin thar Bud.
    Have you tried her benched over sandbags at 25 or
    30yds.yet? I always like to try out my new pieces
    that a way, jest ta see what she's capable of.
    Here's a pic of a hand held sandbag group I sent down range 3 weeks ago usin' ma latest M-27-2
    S&W.
    Ammo used was the Federal American Eagle 158gr.
    JSP's (9.00 per box of 50).
    My Chrono says they clock @ 1200FPS 10ft. from
    the muzzle.
    Gun used was S&W 27-2 circa early 1970's blued
    with 6in. tube.
    All shots were fired single action, range was a measured 30yds.
    Since then, preliminary informal testing has shown that the Winchester 145gr. STHP's will group a half inch better for 6 rds. then the Federals.
    I also picked up some Federal LEO 158gr.+P Hydroshocks that I'm a itchin' ta try soon as I get some better weather in ma neck o the woods.
    Will post results on those 2 loads asap.
    Later cuzzin,yer cuzzin Mitch.

7. Cuzzin Mitch

Cuzzin Mitch G&G Newbie

:target:And here's tha shootin iron what made them
    6 holes that amount to a 1&7/8inch group at 30yds.
    Later cuzzin,Mitch. :D

8. Cuzzin Mitch

Cuzzin Mitch G&G Newbie

;) I just could'nt resist cuzzins. Here's a pic of my pre model 26 model 1950 HE Target 45 ACP.
    Since the pic's been took, I sent her off to tha S&W performance ceter and had them replace the
    altered front sight(The idjet what had it before me filed down the front corner, I guess cause durin the quick draw from his ankle holster,it kept snaggin.What a DOLT!! They only made 2768
    of this particular model!)It now has a square partridge w/McGivern gold bead on it.MUCH better now! :nod:One hell of a gun! Man, I sure does love them old N frames.Later cuzzins,Mitch. :cool:

9. Cuzzin Mitch

Cuzzin Mitch G&G Newbie

:D Here's another dandy cuzzins.When I first got
    her, she shore was a sow's ear,beat ta hell, but the mechanics were still great. Sent her off ta
    Checkmate Custom and now she's a silk purse if I ever did see one.
    Brazilian contract 1937 S&W 2nd model HE 45ACP/45 autorim.
    Dressed up w/buffalo horn grips and a Tyler T grip
    adapter.
    Jest the thing fer them hot,muggy summers we got
    here in tha Show-ME-State.Nice shooter too.;)
    Well cuzzins, I'm gonna save more of the "eye candy" fer latter.Would'nt want ta spoil ya all at once!:D
    See ya cuzzins,Yer ol cuzzin Mitch. :cool:

10. mec

mec Guest

that is, in fact quite a collection of n-frames. I have taken steps to see how well the mod 24 heritage will shoot. I took off the factory sights and temporarily mounted a dot sight. First three loads I tried made five shot groups of an inch and under at 25 yards. They were: 240 grain houston cowboy bullet over 4.5 bullseye, Lyman keith hollow point over 7 unique and the corbon 165 grain defense load. I later found a couple of loads that grouped in the two inch range but, decided to stick with lead bullets in the high 700 - low to middle 800 fps range as they shoot very well. Might want to look at http://www.milesfortis.com/guests/mcump/mc02.htm for more on this.

11. Cuzzin Mitch

Cuzzin Mitch G&G Newbie

:nod:Well cuzzin, I'd have ta catagorize those groups you mentioned on yer page as............
    OUTSTANDING!!!!
    :target:
    As fer the holsters...nylons are OK, they jest don't do much fer esthetics as fer as I'm concerned.Functional? You bet!But I really like leather.
    For a great quality leather holster(suede lined of course)you might try sagunleather.com. I have several of their holsters and they are top notch!
    I have one they call the "Quarter Flap" for my
    6in+ N Frames.and another fer ma 4incher.Suede lined, heavy stitching. Basket weave stamped.Heavy duty quality all the way. The have many,many models/types fer jest bout any hip iron you all
    own.And if they don't, they'll make er up special fer ya.They bend over backwards to see that yer a satisfied customer.They are hand made in South Africa, so you might have ta wait a month er so,
    but it's worth the wait.If yer in tha market fer
    a fairly inexpensive but QUALITY leather holster,
    check em out.We're talkin 45.00 for a quarterflap,suede lined,tan,black or brown,basket weave design to fit any size N Frame.When I can borrow the digital camera from work again, I'll take some pics of em sos ya kin see fer yerself.
    They make duties,hips,shoulders,ankles of all descriptions and sizes fer a veritable myriad
    of guns regardless of the make.
    And I do not work fer them either,jest love their
    holsters!Got kinna long winded thar cuzzin, sorry.
    Better git fer now.Talk at ya later cuzzin and keep up the good shootin!Later,yer cuzzin Mitch.:cool:
    P.S. ok, I jest can't resist.....here's ma 4inch
    model 27-3 circa late 1980's.She's a purty little thing.Jest the cat's hind end fer carryin as a back during deer season.Ta ta,yer ol cuz.