Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
That is my wife's favorite knife only hers is black not camo. She uses it for big game gutting and anything else she needs it for. Me, I like a non folder for hunting and have carried a uncle henry stockman since 1982 everyday for--- because I have since I was 6 or seven. I have never and will never carry a boot knife. Too long to get into action and in most places it is considered a concealed weapon. At least in Colorado my CCW is only valid for a firearm. The clip on a folder if showing is not considered a concealed weapon.
Your wife sounds like a classy lady. Very few ladies have the skill to gut a deer, or shoot one for that matter. You are a blessed man. That double edge makes it hard to dress a deer for me because of the blade angle. Only tried it once or twice with the bigger Gerber Mark II.

The old stockman works for everything. I remember taking one to basic training in 1970. They took it from me when I got there and gave it back the day I left. Lost in along the way, but just happen to have a newer one in my dresser where I keep my keys and handgun. My new one is Case brand.

A few years ago I got one of those removable blade knives free from the Rocky Mountain Elk magazine. Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite, a gimmicky little thing. I have now dressed 6 deer with it and highly recommend them. Not for regular knife use, just for gutting, skinning and the like.

A fellow cannot have too many knives. I suspect that the members of this forum have dozens each. Sure a bunch around my place.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Ten Man, You never unpacked yet? LOL
No. It has been one thing after another in the way of getting unpacked. We got moved into this house just in time for Thanksgiving, last year. Then it was the Holiday Season, then the COVID shutdown of everything, while I was trying to get the "new" house in shape for TEOTWAWKI. :oops:

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
No. It has been one thing after another in the way of getting unpacked. We got moved into this house just in time for Thanksgiving, last year. Then it was the Holiday Season, then the COVID shutdown of everything, while I was trying to get the "new" house in shape for TEOTWAWKI. :oops:
I was just joking with you. Heck I still have boxes of stuff I never needed after moving 10 years ago. One day I will either give the stuff away or it will go somewhere. Have a nice Thanksgiving Day!

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I was just joking with you. Heck I still have boxes of stuff I never needed after moving 10 years ago. One day I will either give the stuff away or it will go somewhere. Have a nice Thanksgiving Day!
By the time I FIND my Boot Knives, I probably will not be concerned about being able to wear them anywhere. :oops: In fact, I'm getting to the point of considering liquidating MOST of my gun and knife collections, just because I probably will not ever get the opportunity to use most of them. I'll keep the "teeth of Liberty" variants, though! :usa2:

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
By the time I FIND my Boot Knives, I probably will not be concerned about being able to wear them anywhere. :oops: In fact, I'm getting to the point of considering liquidating MOST of my gun and knife collections, just because I probably will not ever get the opportunity to use most of them. I'll keep the "teeth of Liberty" variants, though! :usa2:
I understand Sir. I have been thinking the same lately. I have at least several boxes of knives. Folders, fixed blade and so many military knives and Bayonets. Doing nothing but collecting dust. Also the other machinery collection is too many for me to take care of anymore. I need to thin the Herd some what and keep a few choice important things.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I understand Sir. I have been thinking the same lately. I have at least several boxes of knives. Folders, fixed blade and so many military knives and Bayonets. Doing nothing but collecting dust. Also the other machinery collection is too many for me to take care of anymore. I need to thin the Herd some what and keep a few choice important things.
I keep thinking about thinning the herd too. But then I get the bug and see a classic or just a pretty blue and wood one and end up with it. And then there is the NRA that keeps sending me those cheap China knives that end up in the bottom of some drawer. Good for taking in the luggage incase they get stolen though. I've probably gutted as many deer with my pocket stockman as I have a long knife.

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
I keep thinking about thinning the herd too. But then I get the bug and see a classic or just a pretty blue and wood one and end up with it. And then there is the NRA that keeps sending me those cheap China knives that end up in the bottom of some drawer. Good for taking in the luggage incase they get stolen though. I've probably gutted as many deer with my pocket stockman as I have a long knife.
For sure Ron. I like a nice stockman folder as much as a fixed blade. It all depends on purpose or likes. Like you say I have used a small Schrade or Case folder to do same as a heavy fixed blade. As long as sharp and we all have the skill and know how. I know a guy that does garage and home cleanouts. Also auctions he buys at. He called me about three weeks ago asking me if interested in a knife collection. It was 24 folders and older pen knives. He wanted $200 for the whole set. Thing was as I looked at them one by one the blades were Bubba'd up. Someone had not properly sharpened any of them. Blades looked ground by a rough bench grinder. What a shame it was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It arrived

It's horribly small... Looked at it and put it back in the box

Note the difference in handle size from a plain pocket knife

Handle is so small I would cut myself if I ever tried to use it

They can sell it when I die... with all the other junk I've collected

1130201547.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,211 Posts
It arrived

It's horribly small... Looked at it and put it back in the box

Note the difference in handle size from a plain pocket knife

Handle is so small I would cut myself if I ever tried to use it

They can sell it when I die... with all the other junk I've collected

View attachment 157264
Yah, that’s not the one I carried. Will try to find it for comparison.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,270 Posts
My Gerber. Good to have friends in helicopter rescue squadrons. 😎
If your gonna carry something that pokes holes in bad guys and causes them to leak, may as well be comfortable with a device that causes more leakage and doesn’t run out of bullets.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,179 Posts
Do they make knives for flip flops? That and tennis shoes is about all I wear since I retired back in 2012. I do wear a folding box cutter clipped to the pocket of my Bermuda shorts. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jerry
21 - 36 of 36 Posts