Anyone else got their storm supplies ready?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TACAV, Aug 30, 2010.

1. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

5 years ago today the levies broke in New Orleans during Katrina.

And 5 years later today, Hurricane Earl is now a category 4 during a storm season that was predicted to be a busy one. ( and Tropical storm Fiona is right behind Earl) And as I type this the news is now saying that Earl could now potentially go up to a category 5. "One for the history books."

Current projections only have the outside edge of the main storm track brushing up against the eastern coast of the US. But either way by thursday-friday its estimated to be a category 3-4 with the possibility of making landfall somewhere between North Carolina and New York. I live somewhere between them right on the coast. Even if it does not make landfall its still gonna be rough.

I went and stocked up on a few extra things to round out my hurricane supplies today. Due to my job, if it does make landfall I wont be able to just pack up and leave to go inland with everyone else.

Anyone else prepped and ready to go or getting everything ready for the possibility of a storm hit?

2. TACAV I hope the storms does'nt make it inland and you and your family are safe and sound. I'll be praying friend.

There showing Earl right now on the Weather Channel and it is catagory 4 right now.

It looks to be headed to the tip of Florida. They just said it's growing stonger to.

Thats one heavy duty hurricane !!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

3. CAV88

CAV88 G&G Newbie

man im lucky to live in the northwest lol, i just watched on the history channel "Katrina:witness" its a bunch of home videos of people in and around new orleans, its a very good show. It makes me want to kick my *** into even higher gear to get all my stocks set for the only thing we really have around here; earthquakes...

ive got a great first aid kit 20 3600 cal meal bars lots of water purfication tabs
    and a bunch more supplies tucked away in a bunch of totes for me my SHTF kit is the same as my disaster kit lol

I think I need more food though all i have besides a bunch of canned food is really those meal bars i need some 50 lb packs of rice and beans and alot more canned food maybe some MRE's - ok lots more food

other then that im pretty well stocked on water and first aid supplies

4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thanks AK Hunter, luckily for me its just me here that I have to worry about, my family is all several hundred miles away.

5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Well...if it's a Direct Hit on your area...
    First thing is location...HOW far from water?
    Measure Tidal Surge that's incoming, and if you are below the POSSIBLE total Waterline, GET OUT!!

Are you on a hill, or in the bottom of a valley?? If in a low area that floods, GET OUT!!

Next, how much cover is around you?? If you are in the middle of a rolling hills type of landscape with lotsa trees, you probably won't see much damage unless it's Cat-3 or higher. If you are on a flat area with no cover/brush/trees, don't expect your roof to stay on with 100MPH winds.

Cut back ALL limbs near your home. If you have single pine trees within 60 feet of your home, cut them down now.

Next...is it a brick home or concrete??
    If you are in a woodframe home and it's Cat-3+, GET OUT!!
    Find something made of at least brick, preferrably concrete & steel.

If you are in a Trailer...do not even TRY to stay inside one of those.

Best shelters are usually Fire Stations...if naught else, there will be EMT's on site ;)

Going to schools & civic centers is usually a BAD idea...they aren't made to handle Hurricanes up there.
    Heck, they ain't really made for hurricanes down here...during Ivan (Cat3) the AC units of the
    Pensacola Civic Center got pitched into the parking lot, crushing several vehicles...and those things weigh a LOT.

If you hear something that sounds like a Freight Train coming towards your place of repose...
    HIDE IN THE BATHTUB OR CLOSET!!! If you have a Safe Room, USE IT!!!

Funny story about that, I was engagued to a gal from NJ during Ivan, we decided to stay since it was a concrete block home, very well built...during the storm, I'm listening to the wind & hearing a freight-train sound nearby...and she says, "I wonder what a train is doing running in this storm?" I looked into her eyes and realized that she had NO IDEA that was a tornado passing close by. I listened a bit longer and figured that it wasn't coming towards us, but going away. So I decided NOT to tell her...and responded with "I don't know why a train would be running in this either..." I sure as heck wasn't going to have her freak out until AFTER it was all over ;)

Ok, after it's all over, you will need a few things...water...MRE-type food...axes...chainsaws...all the things to dig out with.
    Plan on 3 weeks without help or power, that should cover all but the worst scenarios.
    Make sure all vehicles are totally tanked up, and you have a few jerry-cans of gas in the garage.

If the damage is bad...you will need guns. Looters love traipsing around, but here's how you deal with that...
    1. Don't be obvious with the guns...CCW is the order of the day.
    One person INSIDE the house with a Shotgun at all times.
    Hopefully there aren't any roving bands, but after Andrew, better to be safe.
    After Katrina, we realized that the roving bands might be COPS, so best to keep the obvious stuff INSIDE & hidden.
    2. During the daylight, you'll probably be able to chat with neighbors and clean up a bit.
    Do so without spilling the beans that you're supplied for doomsday.
    3. Clean up the front yard first...it tells folks you are home...which tells the BG's that they may be shot if they try to enter without you even having to post a sign.
    4. At night, lock everything up tight. Burglar Bars are your friend, because you can leave windows WIDE OPEN for a breeze.
    If you have those nice Steel Grate screen doors, you can leave the regular doors wide open for a breeze.
    5. If you have a concrete pillbox for your generator, that's the best deal,
    someplace it is secure without spilling Carbon Monoxide into your home :)
    DO NOT put in in your garage and run it...that's asking to die.
    I liked using car batteries & a power inverters for basic needs overnight.
    One fuly charged battery & inverter will power a CFL light & box fan for 8+ hrs, that's enough for one room overnight.
    I use solar battery chargers in the daytime to recharge them.
    6. Dogs are VERY helpful. Especially well-trained growlers instead of barkers.
    7. Phones...landlines and cells may be unuseable...but if the phone lines are underground, you may have landlines...
    Make sure you have an old-fashioned phone that doesn't need external power or batteries.
    Old Dial/Crank phones come in REALLY handy sometimes :)

After Ivan I went without power for 3 weeks...it was a cat-3 storm.
    After that I made sure to grab several things...
    a large solar panel from Harbor Freight Tools & a few deep-cycle marine batteries :)
    A Propane generator & large 500-gallon tank in a secure blockhouse takes care of power needs :)
    Gas BBQ Grill with Burner...INVALUABLE!!! Add in a Coleman Camping grill for small jobs and you are SET.
    Water source...an old-fashioned Pump-handle Well is worth it's weight in gold when there's no power.
    Stock up on canned foods...chili with meat, vienna sausages, tuna, canned chicken, canned veggies.
    You should have all that already ;) If you have a grill of any sort, you have Hot Food :D

When the Army arrives after about 3-days to a week, go and get a supply of MRE's & Water.
    Whatever you don't use, save for the next clusterfubar ;)
    I keep at least a case per person stocked for SHTF situations...from the last disaster. (It's FLORIDA, regular disasters)
    When they're on their last year, I use 'em for Hunting/Camping Food.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Anyone else got their there storm supplies ready?

I'm ready now !!! I got out my yellow rain coat and loaded the pockets with cigarettes and Little Debbi nutty bars. Bring it own I'm ready !!!

7. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

"Thanks AK Hunter,"

Hey AH !! You didn't tell us you moved up here !! (j/k TACAV)

8. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

They speak truth about preparations. I have been through two major hurricanes and a couple of smaller ones. The most devastating was Celia back in 1970. That one was supposed to be a small little tropical storms packing winds of 90mph. Nothing to worry about really. It was 90mph winds at daybreak. By the time it hit that afternoon it was packing winds of 125mph!!! No one was truly prepared for that type of storm. We lost half our roof when the neighbor's roof flew off and hit ours. Every window in the house was broken and debris literally filled the upwind side of the house. We were huddled in the inside hallway under mattresses until it passed. Two weeks with out power. The most amazing display of power was seeing twigs driven into roofs and telephone poles like nails. Also a vision that I will never forget is watching a 4x4 fence post with concrete attached fly through the garage door and stick in the opposite wall like a spear! I truly respect hurricanes. No hurricane parties for me. People have died for not taking hurricanes and tornadoes seriously.

Big Shrek gives sound advice!

9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Water is not an issue. Neither is cooking - our stove runs on propane. I have plenty of kerosene for the lanterns and a fair amount of supplies on hand. (Note to self: order some MREs for The Sportsman's Guide. They won't arrive in time for this one, but the season isn't over yet.) Even so, on my way back from the doctor's office today I bought three little 9 LED flashlights and a box of .38 Specials... just in case, you know.

10. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Earl will be passing pretty close and the track seems to keep moving west on a daily basis. Early AM Friday we'll know just how close it gets to the Outer Banks. Currently checking supplies, will pick up spare fuel this afternoon before the rush tomorrow or early Thursday because of the likelihood of an evacuation order. I don't anticipate leaving either but may elect to send the family inland if the storm maintains intensity and keeps shifting west in it's track. Hurricane Earl could take aim at Carolinas by Friday - CNN.com

11. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

Yep, I got my supplies, shutters protect the apt., have the beer and dvds ready and wait it out like a family. I'm well bunkered, and I'm sure that nothing short of an RPG can get into my apt., got food and water in stock and all my camping gear is in the gear room, just need to go to my shop the day after to get the 6k generator if I need to.

12. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

It looks like I might be in the path a bit here in Southwestern Conneticut. I have lived through my share of nasty hurricanes during my 13 years I spent in Ft Lauderdale. Specificly hurricane Andrew in 1992. That was unbelievable. I hope I never have to see that kind of devistation firsthand ever agian. I spend the whole next day at my inlaws cutting up and removing all of the waterlogged carpets from their house and damaged furnishing then picking pieces of shingles out of the drywall where they were stuck into it like darts where they had flown trough all of the blown out windows.

Michael

13. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

My storm supplies in summer are for having to run off the natural gas generator for several hours, maybe a couple of days, tops. Nothing special. Always have diesel for the tractor and fuel for the chainsaw on hand for digging out of downed trees and if it gets real bad clearing the road.

Winter is about the same, but the firewood is all in and under roof way early in summer. I'll scrounge up deadfalls during the winter for next summer's drying time. With a well and a generator that runs from pipeline gas wired into separate circuits in the house, plus a freezer, we're good for a couple of weeks at least if it comes to that. Typical winter will see a couple of hours waiting for the roads to be cleared now and then and maybe a 2 day storm or two.

This year, after the hot summer, I don't know. I think we'll all be seeing some very serious storms with spells of open weather between them. Nothing really cold, but a lot of snow when it comes, then it melts and runs off.

14. CAV88

CAV88 G&G Newbie

good luck to everyone that has to go through this storm down there, i hope you guys all get out unscathed as well as your loved ones, i know ill be praying for my auntie down in mississippi, i think i could toss a few your guys way lol :)

15. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Chest. Watch your 6 looks like it's close . ....................waterdog.