Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one a few years back for my dad. It was his first shotgun that he paid for. Well he never shot it if it isnt a 20ga then he wont shoot it. A few months ago I traded him a dog for that gun. Was just wondering if anyone has one. If you do do you know how to establish the diffrent grades? Ive seen two a plain jane version and mine which is pretty heavly checkered and engraved receiver.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you post a picture of the gun I'd like to see it...A.H
I can I tried cold blueing the receiver dont like cold blue, going to get some gloss black duracoat and shoot it. But I got some before, and after pics of why I cold blued. Pics arnt great, it will take me a couple days got to dig them out and get them together.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
WOW J. I just read and looked at the PM you might want to hang on to this shotgun.
I've got to go find some information about it to cure my cureosity.
I never heard of it before.
Thanks a million for the picture, i'll be back later...A.H

EDIT : These shotguns were sold from 1959 to 1962. It is suggested you Do Not fire 2 3/4 mags in these guns.
They have No collecter value at this time.
A total of 63,500 were made.
A.H

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, not many around....great shooter Ive even used it on a couple sporting clay courses. Be extremely nice if it a ventilated rib barrel. But the gun probably doesnt weight but 7lbs and felt recoil is not noticable at all. You can find them on gunbroker most of the time. The 11-48 barrels are interchangeable, the gun will receive a 870 barrel but wont cycle because of no gas port on the barrel. Talked to a gunsmith about drilling a hole in a extra barrel I got but he didnt sound interested in the job so I let it go. I'll just do it myself when I get the equipment.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The 878 is a great shotgun I have one and its the perfect hunting gun it holds 3 shells so you don't need a plug for ducks. I have sent in 870 barrels and had 2 gas holes drilled in them and they work great. I took an 870 barrel that was 30" and had the gas holes drilled and shortened it to 20" and what a trap gun. swings fast and gets them right out of the house. These shotguns are keepers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same gun with the ducks and dog ingraved on it what are these things worth? anyone know? mine is blued not sliver like that one tho 878 automaster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts