Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t believe I’m asking this...sigh.

Bottom line- Have been squirrel hunting three times this Fall. So far, zilch to show for it.

The rascals trip the light fantastic all around when coyote or deer hunting, but they disappear when they are the prey.

Mast is great this year. I’m hunting in good areas near food, water and shelter. Have even tried two types of camouflage, sat still for e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d periods of time.

Nothing.

Ran into a bow hunter this evening coming back from a hunt. He saw no deer, but lots of squirrels.

D’oh!!

So, brethren and sisteren, what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Can’t believe I’m asking this...sigh.

Bottom line- Have been squirrel hunting three times this Fall. So far, zilch to show for it.

The rascals trip the light fantastic all around when coyote or deer hunting, but they disappear when they are the prey.

Mast is great this year. I’m hunting in good areas near food, water and shelter. Have even tried two types of camouflage, sat still for e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d periods of time.

Nothing.

Ran into a bow hunter this evening coming back from a hunt. He saw no deer, but lots of squirrels.

D’oh!!

So, brethren and sisteren, what am I missing?
What you need to do is buy a deer tag, put up a tree stand, then go hunting with a 80lb bow or higher, using Razer Back arrows.....
You will see plenty of squirrels.:D

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you need to do is buy a deer tag, put up a tree stand, then go hunting with a 80lb bow or higher, using Razer Back arrows.....
You will see plenty of squirrels.:D
Lol

Exactly. I’ve seen all kinds of squirrels this Fall when coyote or archery deer hunting. Yet, not a one when actually hunting for them.

Wily little beasts!

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
In all seriousness have you thought about taking a partner, say a young man or woman wanting to learn the hunt.
I have had squirrels skirt around a tree then stay totally motionless for up to an hour. I have also had them skirt around just staying out of sight. Especially in
well hunted woods. Often a second person going ahead then flanking back around while you sit and wait will draw them out.:cool:
Just do not shoot each other,:oops: I would recommend using shotguns in this situation and only shooting over your head.Wearing eye protection and hat. That way worst to happen is you will get peppered from above a bit.

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,223 Posts
Just my suggestion.

They are hiding.
You gotta take off that raccoons burglars mask.
masked.gif

The squirrels think your gonna steal their acorns. ;)

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
We normally have plenty of them but there have been years where there are massive die offs and reports of huge migrations to different locations where people have spotted them in large numbers swimming across the lake. I don't know what is going on with your area . If you are sure that that their food supply is still available, they should be there. I have had my best luck at first light . They usually get out and get eating and you can hear them cutting nuts. A good stand of hickory or oak trees is always my go to locations. Good luck! It can be frustrating. Ask around in your area.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,022 Posts
The Prince of the Treetops can be a cagey little critter. They learn our habits.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I think you said it - "the mast is great this year". The buggars are easily satisfied so aren't traveling as much and are content to do some quiet munching while they sense a presence in the woods. I suspect your hunting will improve once the mast begins to be used up. And if they are that well fed this year, you should have a bumper crop of squirrels next year.

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the insights, folks.

Spoke with a hunting buddy a bit ago who reminded me that we saw the same thing last year. There may be more activity in our squirrel hunting area during the week than assumed.

If that’s the case, then the beasties are certainly tuned in to us.

Also, found out from a ranger that the area we were hunting yesterday may have just finished hosting some kind of trail horse rendezvous. Guess the rain must have washed away all the ‘evidence’.

Hope to give the Graylings another shot soon.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
alright I'm gonna give away this secret to 100% success.
don't pass it around.

feed the squirrels cigarettes/ cut plug during the off season.
you'll get them all hooked on nicotine.
as soon as they see you coming in with a fresh pack of smokes/or new pack of chew they will come running from all over the place and you can take your choice.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts