Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I never baked a squirrel. Come to think of it? Frying is my only cooking talent. Now where is that chicken?
My grandma used to make a stuffing like she would for turkey and then just bake them in the oven. they did taste good. She would only cook the grays though. She said that reds tasted "funny"

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
My grandma used to make a stuffing like she would for turkey and then just bake them in the oven. they did taste good. She would only cook the grays though. She said that reds tasted "funny"
That sounds interesting. My Grand parents were tobacco farmers on the Indiana and Kentucky border. Grand father like most survived the Great Depression like many with a shotgun.
He could cook wild game many ways. He made a stew very much like Chili Verde with greys. It was very good.:)

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got plans to go again Saturday. The temperatures have dropped a lot- maybe that will get the critters out and about more.

Plan is to hit the woods early. If that doesn’t work, will return when they return home.

Side note:

A couple guys at work were discussing whether or not camo is actually effective for hunting and which animals can see which colors.

I chimed in that squirrels have the best eyesight of all game. Explained that they can see everything from blue jeans to Realtree to Mossy Oak. Squirrels can home in on blued metal, wood gun stocks and razor stubble, too.

The guys looked at me like I was crazy until I explained about the last three hunting trips.

Their laughter was simply politeness, but appreciated.;):D

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,029 Posts
Squirrels key in on movement. Colors/camo don't matter. They have very short memories. Stay still for twenty minutes, they forget you are there, and will get active again.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Idk what you have for trees in your neck of the woods bro, but here in the high desert it's essentially harvest time for the silly lil' buggers. I've heard some of the locals having the same issue you are & even though we have red and gray squirrels all over around here they're busy hacking away as much food and stores as they can before the snow hits the ground. What a lot of people forget is we have a lot of really big oak, walnut, chestnut & other types of trees that are dropping their loads right now and that's where you'll find them, coming and going back and forth between the Harvest trees and their dens and stashes. My long-time best friend and brothers parents have a huge Oak Tree in the front yard and this time of the year just after the first freeze mom and Rob Start parking curbside out front of their place cuz they won't be able to park in the driveway until spring because the oak tree is dropping so many acorns you can literally fill a dozen or two 55 gallon drums full of them & they drop so thick it also doubles as excellent Road mix for repacking the driveway when you run them over enough. Anyhoo, every year that walnut tree draws every squirrel for miles around to it via the squirrel highways in the neighborhood & it's the same way throughout the valley. If you want to find the squirrels right now around here you go to the biggest most plentiful food sources like the Walnut and oak trees and setup on them :) ...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Some days appear to be perfect days to hunt but no squirrels are seen, for unknown reasons. Even when you are doing everything the right way, the dang squirrels are not out.
Squirrels don't like the wind and when it gets to certain speed, they den up.

Usually the main reason for poor hunting is getting into the woods too late in the day. And most squirrels take a nap at about noon time, denned up.

It could also be the fact squirrels know of favorite food sources, individual trees that offers better food. Such favorite trees are often away from where you are hunting. Search for favorite food trees and watch for lots of cuttings.

I also suggest hunting near water sources and corn fields when possible.

Sometimes a squirrel call will bring out squirrels. This has worked often for me.

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Have you ever had a proper Brunswick stew? It is best when made with squirrels. I've never really seen it served far from the East Coast though. VA and GA have a long running debate over who developed the definitive version.
Indeed, brother!

A good bowl of homemade Brunswick stew is what got me hunting squirrels back in the 80s.

After the stew came fried squirrel and gravy. Still think that was one of the best meals of my life.

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks for the replies and advice, gents.

Seems like we’re pretty much all on the same page. Will be giving it another go this weekend. Hoping that the cooler weather and good food supply will keep them active.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Thanks for the replies and advice, gents.

Seems like we’re pretty much all on the same page. Will be giving it another go this weekend. Hoping that the cooler weather and good food supply will keep them active.

Thanks again! Much appreciated!
My dad never would go until more than half of the leaves had fallen and the average daily temperature was below 70. Seems like this week we've reached the temperature benchmark on the coast but the leaves aren't down so much yet.

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
My dad never would go until more than half of the leaves had fallen and the average daily temperature was below 70. Seems like this week we've reached the temperature benchmark on the coast but the leaves aren't down so much yet.
Same here. Temps are good, but still leafed up.

Lost a lot of time last year waiting for the right conditions. Was hoping to get more time in the field this year, but it seems the wisdom of our ancestors still applies.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
stupid things are everywhere.
they all taste like pine tree so I leave them alone.
it is fun to find their little stash of pine cones under a log then put it all on top of the log.
then sit back and watch them have an aneurism trying to figure out who moved their stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
Have you ever had a proper Brunswick stew? It is best when made with squirrels. I've never really seen it served far from the East Coast though. VA and GA have a long running debate over who developed the definitive version.
I have never heard of Brunswick Stew. I will look it up. Thx:usa2:

41 - 60 of 84 Posts