Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going through the repeat of the pistol course my county requires for anyone requesting an upgrade of their pistol permit to CCW, I went looking in the display cases of the gun shop that offers the course, looking for something small enough to conceal readily but powerful enough to do the job if, God forbid, it ever comes down to that. I've concluded that I can't handle a .45 ACP with a 3 inch barrel because the recoil would be fierce, but a 9mm loaded with hollowpoints or the new Hornaday TAP ammo would give almost as good results without the recoil problem.

I tried a .40 S&W Kahr and didn't like it, likewise a 9mm Smith & Wesson of the same size. I'd love a FEG PA-63 because I've handled the Walther PP that is its ancestor and like its action and the fit in my hand; but no one hereabouts stocks them or their 9mm Mak ammo, and pistol transfers are a real PITA.

Then I tried an Astra A-75 in 9mm. I like the decocker - it has the same position as the safety on my Llama Model IX-A - and the slide release and magazine release ditto. It fits my hand nicely and the sights are good 3-dot sights. At $300 the price doesn't seem outrageous, and the shop does layaway.

The thing is, no one I know has any experience with the A-75. There are folks with lots of experience with pocket pistols, but none with that model. I could use some guidance here, if anyone has it to offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a Astra A-75 in 9mm since 1998 and had been great. I really like it. Price is good. It is a rugged gun and I would buy another one. Anything else, just ask.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Cyrano, out of curiosity, did you buy that Astra A-75?

I had a NIB Astra A-75 9mm for my first carry gun. I loved that thing. I literally shot it out though, cracked the frame.

Note - this thread is 3 years old! Cyrano is probably not looking for advice anymore! I was just curious if he bought the 9mm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts