Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious about these guns because I was thinking about getting one. The prices are super low, and I figure that it might be nice to have one with a matching year to my Mosin Nagant M1891/30 rifle.

If anyone owns one, how do you like shooting it? What are your general impressions of the gun? I've heard that the trigger pull is pretty stout on those old warhorses.

:feedback:

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
cool gun, but the ammo is real expensive (unless you wanna buy a .32acp cylinder for it)

8 shots, but its real under powered and not the best design

·
Registered
980 Posts
Have one plan on getting atleast one more, fun to shoot good tackle box gun but they are underpowered. ofcourse having a small gun is better than no gun.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I think they can be suppressed :D

There is only 1 revolver that can be suppressed because of its design. I think the Nagant slides the cylinder over the beginning of the barrel, but I may be thinking of another gun.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,182 Posts
I have a '38 Tula and 11 boxes of the Russian yellowbox ammo...fun to shoot at the range...the Russian ammo is smoky and stinky though...

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
It's a quaint design, fun to shoot, great plinker! I like shooting it with my steel spinner targets - cast lead bullets of course. We load it to about 750FPS - not a blazing load but not too bad. I wouldn't use it for defense - handguns in Europe at the time were more 'badges of rank' than weapons of war. But then, 'shot placement is everything'! :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ive been wanting to get one mostly just because theyre cheap. but i hear the ammo is kind of expensive and the 32 acp cylinders are hard to find. if i buy one i will buy a 32 cylinder for it too. there was i think a 3 part write up on customizing them in "shot gun news" in the last year or so. check that out

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
ive been wanting to get one mostly just because theyre cheap. but i hear the ammo is kind of expensive and the 32 acp cylinders are hard to find. if i buy one i will buy a 32 cylinder for it too. there was i think a 3 part write up on customizing them in "shot gun news" in the last year or so. check that out
aimsurplus has got them for the same price as the gun (lol)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have one, bought it awhile back for around 140, it's made in 1901 (107 years old) and has pristine rifling despite how the outside looks.

btw: The cylinder does move foward and seal the barrel, given that you use the right ammo (russian stuff). Which has a longer case than some of the stuff people reload, The longer case helps seal the barrel by covering the small gap (I think).

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like .32 long wad cutters. They make a nice round hole in paper, are pretty cheap and don't foul your gun. I tried .32 H&R magnums, but here is too much blowback with them. You need to wear a full face mask. The standard round for this revolver is very expensive, not worth the money for me. Enjoy your toy!!

Dave :09:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,663 Posts
Those .32ACP cylinders are iffy on quality - many need modded to fit the gun properly. DO NOT mod the gun to fit the cylinder - then you have a quaint paper-weight.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
So to clear it all up. Using the cylinder that came with the revolver you can shoot the standard 7.62x38R. You can also shoot out of the same cylinder .32 S&W or .32 H&R Magnum. You really dont need the .32 cylinder at all. Hope that helps ya.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a '38 Tula and 11 boxes of the Russian yellowbox ammo...fun to shoot at the range...the Russian ammo is smoky and stinky though...
What did you have to pay for the Russian ammo? Most that I've seen has been really expensive.

Dave :bigeyes:

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,182 Posts
I bought it back when it was $14.99 a box

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have five of them. My favorite is a Vietnam bring-back with virtually no bluing left.

I fitted a .32 acp cylinder to one and it is the only one I shoot with any sort of regularity (usually to call the dogs, they can hear me shooting a mile or more away).

The original Russian ammo is running about $25 a box of late.

It is the only successful gas-sealing revolver ever made commercially. They were produced by the Russians and Swedes as military issue. The cylinder does move forward and the cartridge, with its recessed bullet, formed part of the sealing mechanism. That does not preclude shooting 32. acp, but the bullet is a tad undersized for the rifling with the acp so accuracy suffers quite a bit.

Fun gun for a plinker, but even .32 acp is expensive. Would never count on it for self defense.

More Russians running from battle were shot with the Nagant than Nazis. It never was meant to be a stopping round. It was primarily a dress gun for officers. It came in two versions. The double action (most common) was issued to officers. The rare single action version was issued primarily to artillerymen.

They are a nice bit of history that is available relatively inexpensively.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
The trigger pull is pure hell on them if you shoot them double-action, because you're cranking the whole cylinder forward to put the end of the round into the forcing cone of the barrel as you're cocking it. The one I bought for my son has a very nice, crisp trigger pull if you ear back the hammer first.

They're very accurate little guns with the right ammo, too; the Russians put special grips (and probably sights) on them and used them in international competition very successfully.

The Russian rounds in the yellow boxes are kind of wimpy paper-punching loads, good for targets and not much else. They do make a satisfying amount of smoke, noise and stink, though.:09:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
yeah that article in shotgun news told how to fix the heavy trigger pull problem. it was a good article. wish i knew which issues it was in so i could tell you all. i think it was a two or three part article. good information. maybe contact SHOTGUN NEWS about back issues if you're that inetersted in it. i think they were published sometime last year

1 - 20 of 21 Posts