Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
I've actually been pondering making an offer on this original Marlin 70p Papoose. He's asking $350 or trade on it and it has 3x9 mini Burris optics on it.

e3ad_5cc8.jpg e3b1_3276.jpg

Reactions: animalspooker

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to find something like the papoose, M4 or the M6 that shot something like the Hornet. The M6 is available but the price is twice what I feel it should be.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
good luck finding an M-4 survival rifle.
maybe check behind the seats of some F-4's at the local air museum.

henry makes the modern version if your looking for something similar.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
At this point, the Marlin 70p Papoose would almost be a "collectible" wouldn't it?
Idk TM, probably not too far from it anyway. I feel his price is a little high but this is the original Papoose model in excellent condition with the barrel tool and the original bag. He's kinda using the Burris optics to justify his asking price. that's a little understandable though because this Rimfire scope is a little expensive at $185

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I have seen a few M6 Rifle Shotguns. As you said they seem pretty pricey. Never saw an M4 that I can remember. Thanks for the post. Found it interesting.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
the only survival rifles that I've seen around here are the Takedown 10/22's, then again I haven't really been looking for them either.

·
Premium Member
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never seen the M4 either, but I really like the concept.

run5run? Which Henry are you speaking of? The AR-7? Can you direct me to the nearest air museum that has F-4s?

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I have owned several of the M6 stainless .22 Hornet over .410 Shotshell survival rifles, and several Henry AR7 survival rifles. I have never seen the M4 or M5 survival rifles. These small, light weight "survival rifles" were made for aircrews that would need them if they bailed out or survived a crash in an area where rescue was not going to be within 24 hours.

For ME, I found that the Kel-Tec SU16 was a much better option, as far as small, packable, survival rifles go, because the only vehicles I will have an "emergency survival rifle" in these days, is a car or truck, which means I am going to be on a road, which means I am going to be much more likely to have a run in with hostile 2 legged critters, than critters that I would need to shoot for food.

Critters that are small enough to be taken with a .22LR cartridge, will probably be just as easily taken with traps or snares. Critters that are big enough to need the power of a .22 Hornet, will more easily fall to a .223 round. Also, the semi-auto features, and the caliber of the Kel-Tec SU16, make it more desirable for a self defense "emergency survival rifle." The SU16 is smaller and lighter than an AR15, and was considerably less expensive when I bought it. It is NOT a "steady shooting" piece, as I have mentioned in other threads. I would not want to use it on a regular basis at the range, because it would wear out quickly. But for an "emergency survival rifle" I think it is ideal, and it is very easy to tuck away in a small space with plenty of extra ammo for emergencies.

Since I won't be worried about the noise made by the firing of the "survival rifle," because I would WANT to be found, the .223 being louder than the .22 Hornet or .22LR is not an issue.

Reactions: SUBMOA

·
Premium Member
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very well said TM. And for all the reasons you mentioned, I have one of these....not an SU16, but very close.....little brother maybe?

Less the forearm furniture of course...and the scope!

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
The article said WWII production, in 1949?
Animal spooker , what is that?

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,219 Posts
Just get a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. I have an M4, but it's no .22. It's a 12ga. shotgun by Benelli. lol

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Reactions: SUBMOA

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,674 Posts
Pretty good article about the AR-7 (22 survival rifle) in "Rifleman" I think.

I have one of these

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

It's OK--basically the same as its lineage. Its strong suit is it folds up, is light, and chucks in somewhere to tote around. It's reasonable accurate although its sighting system is primitive (moving front blade and rear peep sight).

The trigger pull was never good, and the mag capacity is limited. I do like the .22LR in a survival setting in that it's light and the higher performance rounds can do what you need them to do. You can have a boatload of rimfire rounds in a very compact space compared to centerfire which takes up more.

The major problem is rimfire can do poorly in long term environmentally hostile storage compared to centerfire.

So I think it fills a niche but my druthers would be for a Smith and Wesson MP-15/22. These REALLY seem to do well for a rimfire, have decent (stock) sights, can accept an appropriate optic (and the sights flip up if needed), are rugged and dependable, have 24 round mags (never been able to get 25 in consistently and have it feed well--which is OK) and the sport M-loc version is really lightweight. While it might be nice to throw stuff in a stock, the MP can be easily toted as well and overshadows other options I think.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I saw that site as well CopperniX. My problem is, I wouldn't know if I had every part. I didn't see a barrel on there.

Ten Man has hit the nail on the head. That pic I posted is no H&R M4, its a KT PLR-16 that I put a stock on. Very nice rig that has a permanent place.....hidden in my vehicle. I mentioned it because of TM's post #11 about the SU-16 and the .223/5.56.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I saw that site as well CopperniX. My problem is, I wouldn't know if I had every part. I didn't see a barrel on there.

Ten Man has hit the nail on the head. That pic I posted is no H&R M4, its a KT PLR-16 that I put a stock on. Very nice rig that has a permanent place.....hidden in my vehicle. I mentioned it because of TM's post #11 about the SU-16 and the .223/5.56.
I have a PLR 16 I keep close when out an about two and yes a very nice rig nd did not brake the bank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts