Gun and Game Forum banner

Anyone Tried a Jimenez Arms 9mm ?

332K views 464 replies 182 participants last post by  gsbuickman 
#1 ·
I was at a Gun Show this past weekend and a Dealer had a Special Sale on Jimenez Arms 9mm Handguns...Stainless or Blued, double stack 11 rounds, a bit larger than a Makarov for $169.00 ! US Made in Nevada and really looked nice except for a Plastic trigger I didn't like...He was sold out but had one for looking at on display that was Sold too so No joy :17: ...Anyone have one or tried one yet ???
Rich

#2 ·
Rather than cry you should count your blessings. I'm not one to bash "cheap" guns, but those are just dangerous. Jimenez is just the most recent incarnation Jennings! The Jennings J-9 had a reputation for the slide coming off during firing and I have heard of accounts of the same from the new Jimenez. If you want a cheap 9mm fun gun buy a Hi-Point.

#456 ·
A J-22 does not develop the pressures of a 9 MM-- I have 2 of the older Jennings semi-autos, a .380 and a 9 MM, and although they are nice looking guns, with lots of nice features, and fairly accurate due to their fixed barrels they have a deserved bad rep. The thin pot metal they use in the slides is just too weak to withstand the hammering of a 9 MM. They have been sued out of existence a few times already, and Jimenez was the former shop foremen Of Jemmings/Bryco, who bought out the Bryco factory when it went bankrupt, and he reopened the factory under the Jimenez name. I had heard that they too had been sued out of existence--
As another poster has suggested, buy a Hi Point, they are lifetime guaranteed, (the guarantee goes with the gun, if you sell it, and if you ever wear one out, they will REPLACE it, FREE, and all replacement parts are FREE! I own11 of them, in all their calibers, and have yet to wear one out. I have one of their C-9s, and wasn't happy with the accuracy, sent it back to them, and they rebuilt the whole gun, including the barrel, and had it back to me in one week! It cost me nothing!
They all come with completely adjustable rear sights, and accuracy wise they will shoot as well or better than any gun I own, and will reliably digest any ammo! I swear you could stoke them with spaghetti, and they'd shoot it!
Some of my Hi Points are 30 years old, and they keep on chugging, and making me look good!

#7 ·
Rather than cry you should count your blessings. I'm not one to bash "cheap" guns, but those are just dangerous. Jimenez is just the most recent incarnation Jennings! The Jennings J-9 had a reputation for the slide coming off during firing and I have heard of accounts of the same from the new Jimenez. If you want a cheap 9mm fun gun buy a Hi-Point.
Yep, can you belive that this is a .45apc for under 200 dollars, with a 9 round capacity and a 4&half inch barrel!!! From hi-point, check it out- MKS

Their .40cal was very nifty too, and the larger 9mm was good looking to my eyes... I know that at these prices you cannot expect something really sleek, but if it holds together with a medium load, and keeps on doing it if cleaned, and looked after regurlaly...

Then, I'll start asking, hey, I mean, why should I buy polymer guns for three to four times the price, if It's for my self defence, and I wont be shooting as a passion, just keep it up a couple times a month kind of self defence minimum (also try 'combat ranging' [can be done with balloons, cans, string, a buddy, safe place, woods, or rocky place with a slope, and you dont have to pay the great ammount of money that goes into a high end pop up target walk through range)...

Then, why the heck not? For those seriously not into guns, but need the safety, and want a semi auto, otherwize, I belive that the Charter arms 38super five shot two inch barrel

The Undercover Lite from Charter Arms

And that's going to be cheap, but ok too... Still, I probably would go for the
Hi-point .40, if that had too much of a kick (I know that the .45apc will have a kick too hard for people who dont shoot all the time)

I mean, let's be real, they havent got the price this low, with amazing designs that take out kick even when you have mostly plastic absorbing the shock of that 230 grainer going off...

Even the Glock .40cal seems too 'bronco' for me... I dont like a gun that kicks in the wrong way, you know, either throws too high up, so you dont retain your grip the same after the shot, or it kicks you in the hand, making shooting it literally a pain.

So, if the great sounding and good looking .40 cal, still seems too much like a kickboxer, then it's the more ugly, but I'm shure a good cheap ten rounds of 9mm parabellum, semi auto for arround 160 usd! Not bad, not bad at all...

And it's not like the certain weapons mentioned above... I guess I can say it... Well, Jimenez, and the couple of others mentioned, a fiew posts above...

And, if I lived in the USA, I would get a couple of those Carbines from HI-point! talk about value for money, and I personally would protect my home with the .40cal carbine, and have a backup, well... There are a multitude of good handguns out there... I mean, the carbine will be more accurate, deliver a heftier punch from the same bullet as a handgun, and shoot more safely hotter loads I belive (could be wrong)...

Shure, it's not an AR-15 clone, hey, nobody thinks it is... It's great to at least 30 meters, and home defence never needed a distance further... And, you can have a pistol for backup that 'eats' the same ammo! :hitwithrock:

#450 ·
Yep, can you belive that this is a .45apc for under 200 dollars, with a 9 round capacity and a 4&half inch barrel!!! From hi-point, check it out- MKS

Their .40cal was very nifty too, and the larger 9mm was good looking to my eyes... I know that at these prices you cannot expect something really sleek, but if it holds together with a medium load, and keeps on doing it if cleaned, and looked after regurlaly...

Then, I'll start asking, hey, I mean, why should I buy polymer guns for three to four times the price, if It's for my self defence, and I wont be shooting as a passion, just keep it up a couple times a month kind of self defence minimum (also try 'combat ranging' [can be done with balloons, cans, string, a buddy, safe place, woods, or rocky place with a slope, and you dont have to pay the great ammount of money that goes into a high end pop up target walk through range)...

Then, why the heck not? For those seriously not into guns, but need the safety, and want a semi auto, otherwize, I belive that the Charter arms 38super five shot two inch barrel

The Undercover Lite from Charter Arms

And that's going to be cheap, but ok too... Still, I probably would go for the
Hi-point .40, if that had too much of a kick (I know that the .45apc will have a kick too hard for people who dont shoot all the time)

I mean, let's be real, they havent got the price this low, with amazing designs that take out kick even when you have mostly plastic absorbing the shock of that 230 grainer going off...

Even the Glock .40cal seems too 'bronco' for me... I dont like a gun that kicks in the wrong way, you know, either throws too high up, so you dont retain your grip the same after the shot, or it kicks you in the hand, making shooting it literally a pain.

So, if the great sounding and good looking .40 cal, still seems too much like a kickboxer, then it's the more ugly, but I'm shure a good cheap ten rounds of 9mm parabellum, semi auto for arround 160 usd! Not bad, not bad at all...

And it's not like the certain weapons mentioned above... I guess I can say it... Well, Jimenez, and the couple of others mentioned, a fiew posts above...

And, if I lived in the USA, I would get a couple of those Carbines from HI-point! talk about value for money, and I personally would protect my home with the .40cal carbine, and have a backup, well... There are a multitude of good handguns out there... I mean, the carbine will be more accurate, deliver a heftier punch from the same bullet as a handgun, and shoot more safely hotter loads I belive (could be wrong)...

Shure, it's not an AR-15 clone, hey, nobody thinks it is... It's great to at least 30 meters, and home defence never needed a distance further... And, you can have a pistol for backup that 'eats' the same ammo! :hitwithrock:
The hi-point .40 is a total piece of junk the magazine will just fall out randomly.

#8 ·
I had a Hi point 9mm and have looked at the Jimenez pieces of junk. The Hi point was by far the worst gun I have ever owned. Stove Piping almost every round. As far as the Jimenez they just feel cheap!! I would put them under my car and crush them. You would have to pay me to fire one!!

#11 ·
Jiminez are Saturday night specials. That used to mean that if the metal melted at 1100 degrees F it was legally termed a SNS. Dunno if that was true but I remeber hearing that years ago. May have been a rumor. Dunno.

Shining Star Investments LLC YOUR source for Jimenez Arms

I'm not plugging them. Here's some pics.

OMG!!! My father in law has that .380! Never knew what kind of gun it was now I do I guess. Evil little thing. Jams often, a MAJOR pain in the butt to take apart and clean (did it once, never will again). And really not that accurate.

#12 ·
J9 Jimenez Arms (Biggest garbage ever)

The JA9 is the BIGGEST GARBAGE in the entire gun market. After purchasing the JA9 I had nothing but a migrane. The gun jams 2 out of every three rounds fired, The fireing pin came apart, the load indicator located on the top of the pistol after firing 10 rounds suddenly had a spring pertruding. After sending it in to Nevada (thier new base of operations) and receiving it back the gun jammed more than before and the trigger lock was now defective. Piece of Garbage!!!

I took that gun back to the gun shop and complained about the fact that they did not mention that the JA9 was a pistol manufactured by Jimenez Arms with the molds formerly belonging to the Bryco company.

I purchased a new firearm, The Bersa Thunder High Capacity 9mm. This pistol is awesome, lightweight, accurate and very cost effective. I give it 5 stars. Bersapistols.com

#453 ·
J9 Jimenez Arms (Biggest garbage ever)

The JA9 is the BIGGEST GARBAGE in the entire gun market. After purchasing the JA9 I had nothing but a migrane. The gun jams 2 out of every three rounds fired, The fireing pin came apart, the load indicator located on the top of the pistol after firing 10 rounds suddenly had a spring pertruding. After sending it in to Nevada (thier new base of operations) and receiving it back the gun jammed more than before and the trigger lock was now defective. Piece of Garbage!!!

I took that gun back to the gun shop and complained about the fact that they did not mention that the JA9 was a pistol manufactured by Jimenez Arms with the molds formerly belonging to the Bryco company.

I purchased a new firearm, The Bersa Thunder High Capacity 9mm. This pistol is awesome, lightweight, accurate and very cost effective. I give it 5 stars. Bersapistols.com
I've got a Bersa .380 I got no complaints :cool:

#13 ·
I'm a pistol instructor. I hear this all the time:

"I'm only going to use it for self defense, so I only need a cheap gun."

"It's for my wife (daughter), so I only........."

How much is your life worth? Your wife's? Your daughter's? Save your money and buy a good used higher quality firearm. If you don't feel comfortable buying used, take a knowledgeable friend along. I stress "knowledgeable."

Here are the guns I will not permit in my training classes:

Jennings
Bryco
Raven
Rohm
RG
Hi Point
Almost any revolver made in Germany or Spain (yeah, I know there are a few good ones, but I don't have time to figure out which is which).

Seen too many of these guns that are just unsafe to shoot. Guess I'll have to add Jimenez to the list.

#438 ·
So what gives you the right to decide which "brand" of firearm is allowed in your class? Just because somebody may not have the cash to purchase a gun that you "approve" of does not make it right to discriminate against the firearm that they are able to afford.
You have the right to stick your nose up and refuse to purchase a "budget" firearm if you so choose with your money, but to refuse to allow a person to use the firearm they will be reaching for in a life and death situation just speaks volumes about the kind of person you truly are.

FOR SHAME! FOR SHAME!!

#14 ·
copy and paste what he said to your forehead

#443 ·
JA 9MM

I personall disagree with all of you about the ja9mm. i personally own one and i shoot it on a biweekly basis and go through about 200 to 400 rounds per session. the JA is probably one of the best 9MM i have ever owned and plan to never purchase a new one. cheap yes, accurate very
"one of the best 9MM i have ever owned"???....You don't get out much,do ya?

#20 ·
After looking at those Jaminez pistols in the link that Zen 900 provided, I thought they looked oddly familiar, particularly the .380. Then I realized that it looked quite a bit like this Cobra CA380 that my gun dealer tried to get me to buy. He said that Cobra was put together from some of the left-overs of the Bryco company. I wasn't impressed with the Cobra and I doubt I'd be impressed with the Jaminez. And you say they have PLASTIC triggers? PASS! These stink to me of cheap, 1-crime-then-throw-away pistols that give respectable handguns a bad name. There are far better low priced pistols available for self defense target shooting.

#22 · (Edited)
Avoid like the plague

I bought the .380 as a pocket carry I think it was in November. OK so the web of my thumb is close to the slide and thats my problem I got big hands and its a small gun. However it would have been better if they had taken the sharp edges off the bottom of the slide.

Anyway I have put less than one box (100 rounds) through it and its now dead. The plastic safety appears to have been cut off by the slide. It stovepipes about 1 round every 2 mags. The build quality is poor.

The trigger lock plastic key is very easily broken as is the trigger lock.

All in all. I think Nevada needs to close them down. Soon!.

And the cheeky gits expect me to pay the postage both ways for warranty service.

Smith and Wesson in contrast paid postage both ways when they replaced my SW9GVE extractor after 2 years and at least 5000 rounds.

On the positive side the gun is very accurate.

SC

#23 ·
I have heard a lot of bad things about the Jimanez firearms. But that's just it, I have heard, not experienced the weapon.

I own 2 Hi-Points. Both are reliable accurate pistols. No they are not expensive, but a gun doesn't have to cost a grand to be a good gun.
I also own a Beretta, and a Ruger. I shoot the Hi-points more than my other guns. Many folks seem to enjoy bashing them, but you seldom hear about how well they perform, or how accurate they are. The Hi-Point also has an unconditional life time warranty. I and many others have had good experiences with the Hi-Point. Those that
do require service report that they receive it promptly.

#25 ·
Beware of the JA 380

I bought a Jimenez 380 about a week ago and talked my brother in to buying one today. We went to the range and WOW!, what a disapointment. First neither would camber a round as designed. After about 20 tries I finally got one chambered and the red alert button came out as designed. I fired 6 rounds and the trigger pull is very hard. Lots of pressure needed to pull it through to fire. My brother had the same problem plus his jammed almost every try with one on the clips. It seemed to be much better with the other clip. I am so disapppointed. I realize they are a cheap weapon but I really expected much better performance. I intend to contact Jimenez about the problems but I don't expect them to honor the warranty and even if they do the gun has to be sent back to Nevada at my expense and the crap necessary to send guns through the postal service if even possible. I feel bad that I talked my brother into buying one. I hate to lose the $160.00 I paid but after I clean it and oil it up if it doesn't do better than today I am going to get rid of it as fast as I can find a bigger fool than me.

#26 ·
Do yourself a favor and stay away from Jaminez ot Hi Point. If you are going to spend $150 for crap you owe it to yourself and your life to save a little longer until you have another $150 and buy a decent lower dollar gun. Friends don't let friends buy crap guns. In my opinion, one of the best deals on the market right now is a Taurus Millenium. Just good guns at a low cost. Here is a 9MM Millenium at Bud's for $304 including delivery.

Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm Blue, 12 round for Sale at Buds Gun Shop