Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do RCBS and Redding scales weigh in ounces or grains? I've been using my Lee balance scale and it works, but I'm never really sure if I've got it set exactly. I thought I'd try another brand without going to an electronic one. Thanks for the info.

Dave :feedback:

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
All load manuals are in grains so all powder scales are in grains.No one else ever knows what a Lee ballance beam scale really says either.Get another brand or go didgit.Dont buy the low dollar ones.You would be better off with a good ballance bar. sam.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
There are "cheap" electronic scales out there (see eBay) that can read to the +/-0.1 grain and can switch to other units such as grams and carats with a push of a button.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I highly recommend the RCBS 10-10 scale. It's not cheap, but it will last a lifetime. Don't scrimp on a powder scale.:werd:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I love my Lyman Model 500 balance beam, its a 100 times quicker to use than my Lee scales.

A good balance beam will be more accurate to the last poofteenth than Digi scales, but digi scales are faster to use, easier, and you can wiegh components with `em easier.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The first two reloading tools I ever dumped were a Lee scale and a Lee powder measure. They were junk, right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
ive got the rcbs 5-10 scale it works great.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I use the OHAUS 5-0-5 scale and it works great. I was cleaning up the garage the other day and rediscovered an RCBS digital scale I bought years ago at a gunshow. It seems there had been a problem with it, and I had put it away.

Just for grins, I plugged it in and looked up the calibration procedure on the web, did the cal procedure, and then compared the weights of several different bullet weights with the balance beam scales.

I got the same results (digital X balance beam) every time. readings were within .01 grain when compared. I will use the digital scale, and check every few rounds with the balance beam scale till I am confident the digital is working properly.

Then, my son can have his own set of scales.

Nick

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Do RCBS and Redding scales weigh in ounces or grains? I've been using my Lee balance scale and it works, but I'm never really sure if I've got it set exactly. I thought I'd try another brand without going to an electronic one. Thanks for the info.
Dave :feedback:
Two things....RCBS (and other reloading supply houses, I'm sure) sell calibrating weights with which you, yourself, can calibrate and adjust your beam scale if you want to be sure of it's accuracy.

Secondly, after using a Hornady beam scale for years I broke down and bought the RCBS digital scale and dispenser (Chargemaster) and it's probably the best single investment I have made to my reloading equipment.

BTW, the RCBS digital weighs in both grains or grams.....for whatever reason.

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
"There are "cheap" electronic scales out there (see eBay) that can read to the +/-0.1 grain and can switch to other units such as grams and carats with a push of a button." -Just A Car

A word of caution about the "cheap" scales out there...

Some time ago I purchased one of them, to use along with my RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I bought it on eBay. It's made by DigiWeigh, and called the X series DW-100AX; 100 grain /0.01 grain.

I use it to weigh bullets and powder charges, with varying consistency. I can weigh the same bullet or powder charge twice and it will vary slightly in weight (a few 10ths of a grain) with each weighing. I have calibrated it several times, with the same results. Maybe I spent too little on it and got too "cheap" of one?

I've been looking at the more expensive models of electronic scales and may buy one some day.

For now, I've found that careful use of my RCBS scale provides plenty of powder charge and bullet weight accuracy for my current reloading/shooting needs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I just bought a used Redding balance scale on ebay (horrors). It still has a box so I think it will be OK. I know I can feel the difference in shots in my .40s. I shot some yesterday that I thought were mild, but ended up like +p's.

JSnover - what kind of powder dispenser did you go to?

Thanks,

Dave :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought an RCBS measure, can't remember the model but it throws an accurate charge and it doesn't leak powder all over the bench like my old one did.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
The first two reloading tools I ever dumped were a Lee scale and a Lee powder measure. They were junk, right out of the box.
Same here. What a couple of junky tools. I could never trust them with my vision or life.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
I use the Smart Reloader Digital scale that Chuck Hawks recommends. $29.00 Grams, Grains, even carats. With the cheaper digital scales, wipe the battery terminals with alcohol to remove the preservative, and they work fine. You can't even breath near the thing, it's that sensitive. It comes with a 5 gram test weight. I have tested it with a Ohaus and it is right on.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I use the Smart Reloader Digital scale that Chuck Hawks recommends. $29.00 Grams, Grains, even carats. With the cheaper digital scales, wipe the battery terminals with alcohol to remove the preservative, and they work fine. You can't even breath near the thing, it's that sensitive. It comes with a 5 gram test weight. I have tested it with a Ohaus and it is right on.
Where's the best place to buy that?:feedback:

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
how fast does a digital scale settle down compared to a good beam scale?
the reason i ask is my beam stops moving right away and i am wondering how much faster it could possibly be.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
how fast does a digital scale settle down compared to a good beam scale?
the reason i ask is my beam stops moving right away and i am wondering how much faster it could possibly be.
Nearly instantaneous.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts