close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-10 finally!!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stopper, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

OK - I know I'm getting an AR-10. I'm looking at the 16" barrel, flat top with a "faux" collapsable stock. Can that be done?
    I don't think the stock would get me in trouble?!?!?

Looking at a holographic sight for the flat top, my stinking is that it ought to be a good deer rifle and have the needed "badboy" looks if needed for defense!

Has anyone out there have one that can give me some advice?

Looking at Armlite, but heard of DPS(?) Panther arms? Anyone know of these?

I know asking you ladies is the right thing to do as I deeply respect your knowledge and experiance.

The ladie - girl thing is a leftover from my Army days - sorry can't help it!! All in good fun ladies!

2. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

AR-10 is okay, but I'd rather get an M1A from Springfield Armory. Comparable price, comparable mission, but I think the springfield is dollar for dollar and ounce for ounce that much better a firearm. You can custom the M1A right up to an M25 hathcock special, which will outshoot any AR-10 built. Of course, if you prefer the Stoner action over the Garand, then the AR-10 is quite a nice firearm. From personal experience, for the amount of money I would spend on the right AR-15, I could do some pretty awesome things with a mini-14. I don't know of any military action made that is as good as the Garand.

If I had my way, of course, I'd have one of each. I've not heard of DPS, but I have heard to stay away from Panther arms, assuming it's the same outfit.

3. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Did some looking and I think you mean "DPMS" which is the same as panther arms. I've only ever heard them referred to as panther arms, and my local gunshop didn't rate them very well.

4. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

Well puting a collapsable stock on a AR-10 is a no no unless it is pre-ban, the holo sight is good for quick target acquitsion at close range sence you are going to hunt with it and maybe shoot at range I would get a good scope check out www.bearbasin.com And I think you are looking at a DPMS AR-15 I have a bull24 it is a quality rifle and I have had zero prolbems with it. of corse I have only fired 2,500+ rounds through it....

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Sounds like a nice toy I don't know if it were me looking at a SA rifle in 308 I think I would look at my dream rifle a factory package from H&K the PSG1 with all the toys. But I could settle for the SR25 Stoner my old partner had one and it was a shooter of course by bolt gun always did better when we were on the range

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

There are NO pre-ban AR-10s, except for rare experimental ones. They were reintroduced with an updated design in '96 (I think). Now if you can put a fixed stock made in the folding style on it, I don't see anything wrong with that. I HEARD that DPMS was going to make AR-10s, but have never seen anything off of this site about it. I would think they would be pretty sweet. Of the ones I know are available, Eagle Arms is probably the best deal. Good luck.

7. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Got it Friday!!!!!!!

Got the fake collapsable stock,only looks likethe real thing.

Talk about a honey!!! Cost me a mint, but so far enjoying the day-lights out of it. Have to break in the barrel. Kinda expensive but from what they say and what I've heard, it's the only way.

So far it is dead on at 100 yards, went with a Tasco world class 3-9X40. Gonna shoot 200 and 250 tonite.

This thing looks really nice - Got a tactical sling and a couple of cinch mags for my 20 round mags he he he he he!!!!

So far I am in love and falling deeper with every shot!!!

Thanks for the reply's!!!

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Which kind did you get?

9. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Armalite AR-10 - sooo much money, for sooo much fun!!!