Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i just joined here looks like its got some great stuff. i am interested in getting a AR-15 for target shooting and im really not sure what caliber i want to get. Im torn between .204, .223 and .308 but then i saw this today Olympic AR15 Flatop Varmint 223 WSSM 20" the price amazed me more than they actually have the wssm in a ar15 i would love some feedback on the the performance and personal opinions of these different cartriges, Oh and i plan on getting whatever size in 24" barrel. Thanks alot

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
CrazyBullCack 1st. WELCOME to GUN and GAME !!! feller ! Glad you joined. NOW.
I'm eager to see the posts here because i ordered a Bushmaster AR-15...M4 yesterday in 223 caliber for my son. It will arrive tomarow around 2 oclock.
Can't wait to see it.
If'in It was for me I would want a Varmint model too...A.H

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The difference between the 204, 223, and 223 wssm is negligible. The 223 is ballistically the worst, but like I said, it's a very small difference. The 223 ammo is also significantly cheaper, which in my book, makes that the winner hands down. If there was a huge difference in performance, then that extra cost might justify itself.

I'd look at the 243 wssm if I were you. If you reload, the bullet choice for the 243 is excellent. Winchester makes some excellent factory ammo for it. It's a very flat shooting round, and supposedly very inherently accurate. Plus, it's a more versatile round as far as hunting goes.

If you want to stick with the 223 caliber area though, I say without a doubt stay with 223 remington. Look at the olympic arms targetmatch and ultramatch line. On the oly boards ppl are posting .25-.5" groups with these...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks thats about what ive been thinking the whole time about the 223, a little extra would be good but not for A LOT of cost, god knows the 223 rem. has proven itself. as for the 243 i havent looked into it almost at all especially in an AR15, lol as for hunting i like going the hard way I wont use anything besides black powder or my open sighted Mosin Nagant for big game anymore. I actually just got back from a early season goose hunt and im kicking myself for not getting a double barrel 10 gauge black powder shotgun yet, but id say the prices are to high for em'. But has anyone had any experience with the .204 AR15 the wicked speed and lack of kick is hard for me to kick, i just dont know anyone who has used one, the only draw back for me is the bullet weight and punch it has at long ranges. thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Note that the 308 version is on a whole different receiver and action length, while the 223, 204, and WSSM rounds all fit in the AR-15 action. The 308 and comparable length rounds are in the AR-10 and similar platforms that don't share the AR-15's intercahngeability.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
You can get smaller diameter chamberings in the AR-10, like the 243 Win. Versions by DPMS include other cartridges too. They're just full short action length, vs shorter than short action.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Will the accessories for AR-15 work on AR-10's after handling my sons AR-15 I kinda would like to have a 308 in this configuration...A.H

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Some of them will, but not all. It depends on what you're referring to.

You're going to spend a LOT more on an ar-10 than an ar-15. From what I've seen, approximately twice as much. The ar-15 platform is a lot more universal than the ar-10. As far as I know, Colt is the only manuf that has a difference in size, and that's just in the pins. The ar-10, however, has a lot of different magwells, depending on the maker. Not sure where else they are different.

If you're just wanting to shoot target, I'd stick with the 223 rem. The 204 is impressive, but doesn't justify itself in my opinion.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I have a .204 26" custom barrel on a Bushmaster and at 400yds is the same as the .22-250 at that range.The big difference in .22,s is the .223 Rem. ammo is cheaper but even there if you want top performance it is going to cost about the same to load .223,s as it does a .204.My 5 shot groups with either .204 or .22-250 average around .5" at 100yds. sam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Les Baer 204 AR-15 super varmit

You can't go wrong with this outfit, This Rifle will out shoot 90% of the bolt guns out there, I know I have been in the 6ppc game for about 15 years, With the factory hornady ammo this baby shoots in the ones and twos, 5 shot groups, you get what you pay for, great rd the 204,

later

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Look at a couple of factors for target shooting.

Do you reload? If so, don't worry so much about the price of the ammo, as you'll be loading your own "premium" ammo anyway. Also, look at bullet selection.

If you don't reload, stick with something that has a wide variety of commercial ammo so you can find something YOUR specific gun likes.

What distance will you be shooting? The .204 is a hell of a round, but if I recall correctly, doesn't handle the wind as well as heavier bullets.

Remember that the wssm choices also extend to the 243 wssm and 25 wssm... There are a lot of premium match grade bullets avail for the 243. There's also the 6.5 grendel (les baer makes a nice upper for this too). It's supposed to be deadly accurate as well. I've been wanting to build a target ar for awhile, but can't decide between 223, 243 wssm, or 6.5 grendel. Decisions decisions... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts