Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am planning on getting a AR but aint a fan of the .223 caliber so was thinking of getting it in the 6.8! Please tell me what you think of this caliber and also what brand you would suggest!
Thanks,:feedback:

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Overall, the 6.8 isn't a very good cartridge, as it lacks the energy and trajectory of the .308, but on the AR platform, it would be an ok cartridge.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm an armchair of the 6.5 Grendel, whose popularity is inspiring production by Wolf ammo in a brass cased version. Yes the 6.8 is expensive to shoot, and due to its use by government agencies the ammo is harder to find than the 6.5. The 6.8 SPC was chosen over the 6.5 Grendel simply due to short range ballistics, but the 6.5 excels in the longer ranges. What I keep reading is that trajectory is similar to the 308.

I would love to chamber a 6.5 Grendel in an SKS. But that's another discussion entirely.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like the idea of 6.8. It is powerful, accurate, and not much more recoil than the .223. However, it is pricey, really pricey. You are lucky to get ammo at .75 to 1 dollar a round. DPMS makes an affordable and excellent quality upper for the 6.8, but it only comes with one mag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts