Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear Creek Arsenal has very reasonably priced complete uppers on sale. I picked up a16 inch barreled M4 upper with the BCG and charging handle for $269.00 shipped. I have a bare flat top upper receiver and was going to assemble one , but at this price why bother !! JOHN

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you're just wanting an upper to sling lead down range, buy a BCA.
If you are wanting a well built, quality parts, and great accuracy upper, buy or build something else.

A good barrel will cost more than a Complete BCA upper!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have two BCA uppers one in 7.62x39 I bought just because it was cheap it shoots patterns like this at 100yds.(10 rd group)

The other is on my hunting gun it's a 350 Legend that is a great deer killer it puts rounds on target like this at 100 yds. (5 rd group)

As long as the upper does what you want what would putting more money in to it do?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have two BCA uppers one in 7.62x39 I bought just because it was cheap it shoots patterns like this at 100yds.(10 rd group)

The other is on my hunting gun it's a 350 Legend that is a great deer killer it puts rounds on target like this at 100 yds. (5 rd group)

As long as the upper does what you want what would putting more money in to it do?
Excellent point. I have one of those Midway house brand, Stoner uppers in 7.62 x 39. Even with the stock trigger in that lower it will shoot under 1 moa with cheap Tullamo fodder. The quality of mass produced barrels these days is outstanding. I have 4 brands of uppers, all are entry level, DPMS, Anderson, Stoner, and CCMG. All will shoot under 1 moa. The effective range for deer or coyotes and hogs with the 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 and 300 BLK is 350 yards or less. That means 3.5 inch groups at the max range I might ever shoot, which is not likely as I have better guns for long range. My experience is like yours, why would I want to touch one of those cheap, but shockingly accurate barrels?. And then if I did, it would need a 22 or 24 inch barrel designed for long range applications and would need to go to another caliber better suited for distance. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been seeing some great deals like that on Omega Tactical Distribution. I still wanted to put it together, so I ordered it unassembled but the price was great. Plus, you don't have to wait for 6 different packages to come in, some taking longer than others.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I've bought a few products from them, a 10.5" ar complete upper in 5.56. and then a .300 blk barrel, 7.5".

both good , especially considering the cost.

I did notice they increased prices during the pandemic/ demand surge, as did everyone, but still a value compared to other options out there.

(context) I picked up that 10.5" upper, with bcg, for..... $189.99. now it was on sale and i think i used a code for free shipping, but man, at that price it was literally a steal!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
If you're just wanting an upper to sling lead down range, buy a BCA.
If you are wanting a well built, quality parts, and great accuracy upper, buy or build something else.

A good barrel will cost more than a Complete BCA upper!

while this is techincally true, everything is relative. and these bca uppers will do most of what most people will ever need done.

they can do more than just sling lead down range.

now would i take one to the sandbox? no sir! but if that was the case the us military would be supplying my firearm, so its not like i'd have the choice!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I recently picked up a BCA upper in 7.62x39. Yes, I also picked up an enhanced firing pin as well. That’s just thinking ahead of the failure curve. Anyone shooting a mini 14/30 using steel case ammo is likely to have done the same thing. Does that mean Ruger makes crap weapons?
Sure the BCA isn’t up to mil-spec, I have mil-spec rifles, but people get overly attached to that term. Mil-spec isn’t “the best”, it is what the military requires. There are better, and worse , rifles available. My old DPMS with a bull barrel, ar-15 bcg, and a slick sided, commercial upper, still performs just fine and it is definitely not mil-spec.
These days I prefer nitrided barrels over chrome lined, and yet that is not mil-spec. I won’t be doing mag dumps or wading thru tropical jungles or deserts with any of the guns I own.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I recently picked up a BCA upper in 7.62x39. Yes, I also picked up an enhanced firing pin as well. That’s just thinking ahead of the failure curve. Anyone shooting a mini 14/30 using steel case ammo is likely to have done the same thing. Does that mean Ruger makes crap weapons?
Sure the BCA isn’t up to mil-spec, I have mil-spec rifles, but people get overly attached to that term. Mil-spec isn’t “the best”, it is what the military requires. There are better, and worse , rifles available. My old DPMS with a bull barrel, ar-15 bcg, and a slick sided, commercial upper, still performs just fine and it is definitely not mil-spec.
These days I prefer nitrided barrels over chrome lined, and yet that is not mil-spec. I won’t be doing mag dumps or wading thru tropical jungles or deserts with any of the guns I own.
Good point,

Milspec, well mil issued rather, just means it was the cheapest one that met the military's minimum requirements.

·
Premium Member
9,872 Posts

I have three of their uppers. 7.62x39 like you have and a 5.56 and a 458 SOCOM. I bought them when prices were lower. Prices went crazy so Ii stopped buying any parts even for them. BCA is coming back down in prices like they used to be.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have three of their uppers. 7.62x39 like you have and a 5.56 and a 458 SOCOM. I bought them when prices were lower. Prices went crazy so Ii stopped buying any parts even for them. BCA is coming back down in prices like they used to be.
Have you checked their prices lately, they made a big drop on 6/24. My buddy was wanting to buy from them & he got his order in two days ago for two uppers.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
while this is techincally true, everything is relative. and these bca uppers will do most of what most people will ever need done.

they can do more than just sling lead down range.

now would i take one to the sandbox? no sir! but if that was the case the us military would be supplying my firearm, so its not like i'd have the choice!
Funny you say that. More and more uppers don't come with dust covers. I always laugh at the guy who comes in looking for a hunting rifle (AR). He'll see the lack of a dust cover and say, "I don't want that, mine has to have a dust cover." To which my smart a$$ usually responds, "on your way to Vietnam or Afghanistan?"

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Same with the forward assist, it doesnt bother me if its there, but, I cant remember ever needing it. if there is a foul up with my gun, the best thing to do is a tap and rack, or pull the mag and run the action. i get it if your in combat and need the danm thing to work you can just ram that round home, but, im not in combat lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The dust cover / forward assist debate is one with only one sensible conclusion. If you like the option of being able to chamber a round quietly or have experienced the bcq covered with sand or grass seeds from riding on the tractor or 4 wheeler and prefer it not to become clogged up then by all means use a forward assist and dust cover . If you keep your gun in a case or semi clean environment until you are ready to fire it and don't see any need to quietly chamber a round then get a slick side. They make both kinds so people can buy the one the prefer .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Have had a BCA 7.62 x 39 upper for years. Runs the track without stumbling with anything it gets from the mags.

The only issue I've had (and, I was warned, but scoffed), is the gas block moved and made it a single shot carbine until it was fixed. Looked properly staked, but couldn't have been.

Other than that, on any given day, it's my favorite AR.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Have had a BCA 7.62 x 39 upper for years. Runs the track without stumbling with anything it gets from the mags.

The only issue I've had (and, I was warned, but scoffed), is the gas block moved and made it a single shot carbine until it was fixed. Looked properly staked, but couldn't have been.

Other than that, on any given day, it's my favorite AR.
I had the same ting happen, little Loctite on the gas block bolts and its been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
25,130 Posts
Bear Creek Arsenal has very reasonably priced complete uppers on sale. I picked up a16 inch barreled M4 upper with the BCG and charging handle for $269.00 shipped. I have a bare flat top upper receiver and was going to assemble one , but at this price why bother !! JOHN
It'll probably serve you quite well too John.
I haven't bought any assembled uppers from BCA, but I have bought several parts and pieces from them including a few extreme bargain priced barrels. My observation is that one has to spend a heck of a lot more money to get a barrel that shoots marginally better than what I got from BCA. If I was a competitive shooter trying to win trophies, and awards, and sponsorships that extreme amount of invested dollars to get a slightly better performing barrel might be a viable expense. For a casual target shooter and a hunter like me that doesn't push the envelope by shooting beyond what I consider a prudent hunting range the BCA barrels suit my purposes just fine.

If I was a betting man I would bet that BCA barrels are being used on uppers and rifles made by other more expensive brands in the AR marketplace...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Funny you say that. More and more uppers don't come with dust covers. I always laugh at the guy who comes in looking for a hunting rifle (AR). He'll see the lack of a dust cover and say, "I don't want that, mine has to have a dust cover." To which my smart a$$ usually responds, "on your way to Vietnam or Afghanistan?"
I like the look. Not that I’ve ever used any of the dust covers. When I shaved the ejection port on my .450 bushmaster I was real careful to make sure the ejection port still closed. Again though, I’ll likely never close it…
<Shrug> Sort of like the foreword assist vs slick side. A foreword assist isn’t needed for range shooting.

edit: I should have kept reading before replying; this has already been discussed in depth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts