Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be better than trying to put the tube in AFTER you've put the block on the barrel. Plus it would kind of help with alignment.
Exactly when pinning the gas tube with the gas block on the barrel you run a risk of buggering up the barrel or damaging the screws themselves by over tightening or by not tightening it down so tight that it can still move around the barrel and then you just end up chasing it or stopping what your doing to readjust the gas block. This prevents all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
What's the price on this critter

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now Primary Arms has them for 49.99 (10% off with their MIL/LEO discount) and they have really fast shipping.

Reactions: Junction15

·
Premium Member
26,130 Posts
Lots of barrels and gas blocks do not mount with set screws. Of the 8 ARs that I've built only one had the set screws on the gas block and the shallow countersink on the barrel.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
That's a nice fixture for the purpose. Now, not to be a party pooper but why spend $50 on that when I can use a piece of 3/4 rod from the hardware store for about $6? (Or whatever diameter you need) Drill a small counter sink for the set screw. Clamp on blocks don't need the countersunk hole
If the cost is for including the punches, well I already have those.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of barrels and gas blocks do not mount with set screws. Of the 8 ARs that I've built only one had the set screws on the gas block and the shallow countersink on the barrel.
True a lot don't but if you go and look at most of what's out there they are the set screw style. I have several that are clamp ons and and some locked right on this a couple others needed a turn of electrical tape and worked just fine.

Reactions: Junction15

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's a nice fixture for the purpose. Now, not to be a party pooper but why spend $50 on that when I can use a piece of 3/4 rod from the hardware store for about $6? (Or whatever diameter you need) Drill a small counter sink for the set screw. Clamp on blocks don't need the countersunk hole
If the cost is for including the punches, well I already have those.
Just sayin'.
You could possibly build it yourself for yourself with a $6 rod, I but that the same with anything, This is a tool that is turned out of 41V40 CMV Steel with a Salt Bath Nitride finish that is made to last a lifetime if you are doing one or two then do the cheap route but that's a lot like asking why do I need a Snap-on wrench when I can get this dollar store one or using an old mag as a vise block Will the old mag work. Yeah sure for a little bit but it wasn't build for that just like the $6 rod wasn't. But that's one of the things that makes our country great the ability to discuss this sort of thing.

The other way I look at that is where is that $6 going? China? The tool is made here in Texas by Americans so buying these allows more to be ordered and means the guys working on this keep earning a paycheck and can support their families, shop time isn't cheap and coatings aren't free.

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
4,119 Posts
I'm all about professional tools, but I just don't do enough of that particular chore to justify owning it really. And if you saw my tool boxes, well there are dozens of use-once tools that I probably overpaid for. If I were an AR armorer I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm all about professional tools, but I just don't do enough of that particular chore to justify owning it really. And if you saw my tool boxes, well there are dozens of use-once tools that I probably overpaid for. If I were an AR armorer I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
And that is completely understandable, but its free to share the link with someone who you think would need something like this.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've always wrapped my GB in a heavy shop cloth and then put it in a vise so it won't move. Haven't scratched one yet. Before I started doing that, this procedure was always the biggest PITA for me.
I tried that once.... ONCE it slipped a little more on me so I tightened it down a little more and bent the gas block just enough out of round that I couldn't get it on the barrel and said hmmm that didn't work thankfully it was my gas block and it was a cheapy not a someone else's high dollar one but still. There is no chance of that happening with this tool since it is held in by the set screws in the dimples and there is no external pressure on the gas block at all.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think I've bent any, but I've screwed up my share of AR parts.
Oh I have it was one of them aluminum cheapie ones. Yeah it was replaced with a Midwest industries gas block and stayed there. It was on a 20" 7.62x39 upper that I built when I first got started building ARs.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm about to drop another order with the manufacture for a second batch of these if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So a few things have stabilized quite a bit since the first post... The standard tool is now 19.99 and the GBT-4 (pictured below) is $39.99... Also Primary arms is no longer carrying this line (their loss), I have started my own business called Saint Michael's Armament (www.saintmichaelsarmament.com) and the full patent has been approved and issued.

These are still made of 4140 CMV with a QPQ (Salt bath Nitride) treatment as well as a 17-4 stainless option, the hollow core design is lighter while still maintaining the full functionality of the original design. I've done a couple local gun shows when my schedule permits it and these have been extremely well received by the public.

It is simple to use as seen in this very old VIDEO .

Office supplies Tints and shades Cosmetics Writing implement Font

Reactions: BigEd63

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I start the pin then use a pair of channel locks like a press to push the pin on. But I'm cheap and like others have said, I don't build enough to justify the cost. Nice tool though.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've worked on several expensive gas blocks Geissele and the like and high end barrels while doing upper receiver builds and part swaps for people. So when it comes to it, in my opinion (slightly bias) having the right tool is worth it. But I totally get it this isn't for everyone and that's cool. I can say that for the guys that have used it, they all seem to be pleased with it and to me that is what matters most. I don't need to sell water to the Navy (Happy belated birthday BTW to ya squids from a Jar Head), so if this is not for you then rock on, but if this is something that'll help you out for less than the cost a a movie ticket and small drink then here it is.
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Font

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Look like a good tool but most of us have shot long enough that we have an old worn out barrel & we can just use our old barrel to do the same thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts