close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR 15 in 7.62 x 39?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by senecagreen, Apr 22, 2002.

1. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

Does any company make the AR 15 style gun in this caliber? I can't seem to find one. :(

2. I believe Stoner does. I might be wrong.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Colt still does. Mags are a little hard to come by, and you have to shoot the good ammo, not surplus. The gas system will clog very quickly with the surplus ammo.

4. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

I found that DPMS makes one called the Panther but only come with 2 10 rd. mags which is understqndable. Where would a source be for Hi Cap. mags that would work in this gun. Retail price is $850 for the gun.

5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Olympic Arms also makes an AR in this caliber. I used to see more of the mags than I do now. Last place I saw them was www.whatacountry.com

6. polarisgod

polarisgod G&G Newbie

I had a 7.62x39 AR-15 for a little while,but soon got rid of it. Never could get mags to work reliably. I don't remeber what brand it was, but there are alot of them now a days. But you still have to deal with the garbage mags!!

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    For other AR type arm in deifferent calibers see AR10 in 243 & 308 as well.

8. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I'd agree that an AR-10 is a much finer rifle than an AR-15 in 7.62x39mm. The idea of shooting the Soviet caliber out of an AR is neat until you figure how the action isn't designed for a cartridge of that shape or style of manufacture. Most of the cheap ammo is steel, while the ARs in that caliber say to use domestic brass ammo.
    I figure, get an AR for 223 and an SKS or AK for 7.62x39mm and appreciate the differences.