close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15 loads

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dick Robinson, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Anyone have any pet loads for the AR-15? I've been loading with BL(C)-2 powder because it goes through my powder measure really well but I think I might be able to get better accuracy with a different powder. I have a 1 in 12 twist barrell so I'm pretty much commited to a 55gr. bullet. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Jim Messer

Jim Messer G&G Newbie

Dick-

Get you a couple of reloading manuals and have a go at it. What works for one may not work for another. I am sure you will get some "pet loads" recommended by others. Through the use of the loading manuals you can compare the info you receive with what is listed in the manuals. I would not, for any reason, take info from any forum and load up some ammo with out comparing info with loading manuals. There are so many variables to consider when reloading. I may have a pet load for my Les Baer Ultimate Varmint (I wish) that works great for me, but when you try it problems of unforseen consequence may decend on you and rifle. I am not trying to scare you off from gathering info, but be careful. A good loading manual and a little patience will pay off in a load that suits your needs.

3. Thanks for the input, Jim. I, usually do check any information I get, off the forum. I also shoot and load for the M-1 and M1A and have gotten info on some match loads that work great in my rifles. Loading for the AR-15 has been kind of a real challenge. I've had a couple of people recommend loads that worked really well, in they're rifles, and I was lucky to hit the back stop, with mine and I've also tried a couple of loads that no one else could get to work, and they worked fairly well, for me. The big problem seems to be that some loads that shoot fairly accurately, won't work the action reliably and some loads that work the action flawlessly you can't hit the side of a barn with. Oh well, I guess trying to find that perfect load, gives me a reason to shoot more. Have a good one, Dick.

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I see somebody's name is offensive to the software. HEHE :)

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Fixed that now... man, I never! This program... PM me if you have any other problems guys...

Jesse

6. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I usr Accurate 2200 because it is cheap . It is a ball powder .

Wyr
    God Bless

7. Hey Wyr!
    What twist does your rifle have? What weight bullet do you use? I've used some accurate powders, in some pistol loads, with good results. I might give that 2200 a try.
    Jesse, sorry about making the software mad. I guess, sometimes, you have to treat it like a woman and slap it around a little. Please don't tell my wife I said that.
    Have a good-one, Dick.

8. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I have a kit gun , on a PWA lower , pre-ban , military configuration . No idea what the twist is , shoot mostly 55 grain bullets ( cheaper ) .

I also have a 1/8 24" SS bull barrel upper scoped , that on a very good day with very good ammo ( 50 - 55 grain ) will put 5 in a dime at 100 yards . Many people do better than that , with their rifles . But it does not seem to mind light bullets .

When I bought it , 2200 was less than $ 10.00 / pound in 8 pound jugs .

Wyr
    God Bless