AR-15 TO BUILD OR NOT TO BUILD

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Trigger Toe, May 13, 2008.

1. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

I' new the gun world and this forum site. I joined because My Yugo SKS was jamming since the first day I purchased it. I was told after the sale that it was junk and nobody could fix it.

I created the Thread...

"Ripped Off Rookie Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Everyone poured out of the woodworks to encourage that there is hope. I am waiting for a new gas valve to arrive to hopefully resolve the issue. Any day now. So, with the overwhelming support, I thought I would put it out there that I want my second rifle to be an AR-15. The question is, Due to costs,

"TO BUILD OR NOT TO BUILD"

I never entertained the thought of building one but a few threads have planted the seed. My questions are as follows.

1- What are the best AR-15's completely built?
    2- Since they are a fortune to begin with, what is a good reliable fair priced AR-15?
    3- Where could I find reviews to do homework myself?
    4- Is it cheaper "TO BUILD OR NOT TO BUILD"?

I really would like to see if I could only spend between $600-800

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    I just bought a DPMS Panther for $750. I've not seen nothing much but praise for DPMS on the nets. Not much help, just pitching in my 2¢.

3. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

I saw a review about the Panther on Youtube and it was impressive. I have to say with that price of the Panther is looking like an appetizing prey. Is it a well made, manufacture gun or is it a situation where "You get what you paid for"?
    I've been through that with my SKS as I said in my other thread.
    How does it shoot? Did you add any mods? Any issues?
    Thanks. your .02 is gold.

4. You can buy private party used for cheaper than you can build, on the other hand you can always build exactly what you want for cheaper than buying the whole thing and customizing it.

5. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

When you recommend private party, are you referring to the likes of gunbroker.com. Where are there good private party classifieds?

6. Classifieds, there are deals on GB, but things usually run high on that website.

7. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

Yeah GB has a lot to offer but I don't feel comfortable putting out sucha big chunk of change on something I don't get to see in person. Who knows if the pics are even from the actual gun. Plus without Paypal, I don't bid on those auctions. I know of a lot of horror rip-off stories.

8. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    Brother, that was my initial dilemma. I'm an AR rookie, but from what I understand, it really depends on "how involved" you want to get with a build.

If you buy "complete" parts like lowers and uppers, your savings will be very minimal. If you shop around, buy a stripped lower here, a stripped upper from this website, hand guards from that website, a barrel at a gun show...yeah, you can save $100-$200.

As for me, I'll spend a few more bucks and get the DPMS three year warranty. No questions asked. If you build a gun will manufacturers warranty parts? I dunno. I won't risk it. That's just me.

9. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

Hey Seven, What exact Panther model did you purchase? I like the Light 16. The Warranty sounds like the best way to go if I'm only shaving dollars.

10. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

I bought a CMMG upper and lower from AIM, as well as a 6 position stock and 2 mags for $800 shipped. It would have been $1025 if I'd have purchased from CMMG directly and bought a complete rifle.:)

11. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

Hey paper where did you order from?

12. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
    DPMS 16" A1 Light Weight Rifle

I bought it from a local dealer. $748.99 out the door. Came with hard case, 2 mags, cleaning kit, etc. Dealer threw in 4 boxes of Wolf ammo. I have bought like nine guns from him this year.

[​IMG]

13. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Aim Surplus AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms
    They're currently out of uppers, but still have complete lowers for $180

I originally ordered a 20" Government upper, but they were out, so I took the 16" Hbar instead, (which they're out of now, also)..

They expected more uppers in the next week.

This is what I ended up with, being a 16" mid length carbine..

[​IMG]

14. I too went the mid length route. I got an RRA upper for a smoking deal and built a DPMS stripped lower with the RRA 2 stage lower parts kit.

Upper was 450
    lower 100
    lower parts kit with 2 stage 150
    stock assembly 200
    Miad grip 40
    Aimpoint with mount 400
    BUIS 110

[​IMG]

15. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    What was your end cost? If you don't mind my asking.
    TT wants to stay $600~$800.

16. Well I went with the Vltor E mod stock assem and miad grip and stuff like that that adds to cost. My advice would be to first build a lower, no matter what you will save some cash there. Aim has CMMG and their parts kits for a steal. Once you have a fully assembled lowered with the stock, then scope out an upper you like and do a lot of research. You will come out ahead saving lots of cash and gaining the knowledge of how your firearm works and pride that comes with building it yourself.

Aimsurplus has CMMG products for a great price right now. I would build it out of what there are selling while you can before the price goes up.

AIM CMMG MOD4SA AR15 .223/5.56x45 Lower Receiver CMMG MOD4SA AR15 .223/5.56x45 Lower Receiver
    AIM CMMG AR15 Lower Parts Kit CMMG AR15 Lower Parts Kit
    AR15.COM :: Forums :: RRA Mid Length A4 16" Chrome lined IN STOCK 5/10 TOO LOW TO PRINT
    AR15.COM :: Forums :: WTS 6 pos AR15 M-4 stocks BLACK $53.99 Tan $50.75 shipped

The price for the upper on the link above turned out to be around 450 very reasonable, I like it a lot. If you build your rifle with the parts from those links you will have a great rifle for less than an "out of the box" If you do buy an out of the box rifle buy quality and you will be much happier.

17. Trigger Toe

Trigger Toe Guest

Hey Seven, that seems like a great package deal from Del-Ton inc. And you said that it came with a three year warranty? I'm ready to order now. It would be fun to build one though. I don't think constructing one would be as fair priced.
    Beer man has an argument but I am just now learning what the uppers and lowers are from the post that you guys are putting up. I am going to do my homework and shop around. As for quality, what authority or experience do you guys have to know the difference aside from a name brand. How can I learn the difference. Are there reviews out there somewhere to compare?

18. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

That's how I felt taking into consideration as to "who would cover the warranty" if I had any issues after I built one. Maybe that would be a good topic/thread to start.

That said, I'm planning a 7.62x39 AR build. :09: Watch for upcoming threads.

I was the last homie in my posse to roll an AR. The last cool kid on the block. I've shot/handled my friends' guns for years. They've got Colts, Bushmasters, Stags, Olys, customs, etc. Two of them that has handled/shot my DPMS can't say anything but good about it. YMMV, as always. As far as "reviews," I'll take "word-of-mouth forum thoughts" vs. "advertisement paid reviews" any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.

19. ARs go on a tier system

LMT, Colt, CMMG are Top Tier
    Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag, Mega, Del Ton are Middle Tier
    DPMS, Doublestar, Olympic are lower tier