Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a smokin deal on a new barrel, and some other stuff on "black friday" deals. I was going to build an entire new upper, but i decided i want to rebuild my current 16" rifle upper as im not exactly happy with it.

Its functional and not really bad per-se.. but, I dont like the way the handguard attaches and i want to move away from the carbine length gas system to a mid length one. in addition to the gas system change over, the new barrel is a "socom profile" essentially its just thicker under the gas tube and doesnt have the m203 cuts. the old handguard is super light weight, but im not super confident in its durability.

So my goal is to make it a smoother shooting and more rigid rifle platform, i want to upgrade the optics from a 1-6 to a 1-8. but that will have to wait for better funding.

so removing old handguard, barrel nut, barrel and gas tube, also taking the yhm phantom FH off the old barrel.

reinstall new barrel, barrel nut, gas tube, FH then lasty the handguard.

I did have to order a 30mm crows foot for the barrel nut. most parts should be here by mid next week.

this is what i want to my my go to rifle, rugged and reliable. should be fun, I love building these things!

also, you know what this means, ill have an extra barrel that will need a new home..

old HG/ Barrel: ( note this isnt the same Muzzle device as it has on it now, more pics in the future)

Computer keyboard Air gun Trigger Machine gun Space bar

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a recent pic of the rifle setup, what i consider a good GP rifle. ok for up close, can reach out little, really good anywhere in between!
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Machine gun

(excuse the messy bed, the dogs have taken over the guest bed!)

and its current state:

Product Sleeve Wood Pattern Gun accessory

everything is off except what i need to do on the bench.

and here is a better view of one reason im ditching this HG:
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Material property

you can see the barrel nut/ handguard attachment area is all galled and dimpled, this is from me trying to tighten it to keep it from coming loose. also the lock ring style set up is just not very desirable anymore.

cant wait for the new parts to come in!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It will most likely work, I just like that the lugs will wear in together, kind of a fire-lapping to mate them. And wear together, so when one is cooked, the other is too.
Checking the fit with a go/no go gauge would tell you. The bolt will have some wear, so if anything it will be a little loose. That’s why I would rather start a new barrel and bolt together, so it doesn’t get too loose over its useful life.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will most likely work, I just like that the lugs will wear in together, kind of a fire-lapping to mate them. And wear together, so when one is cooked, the other is too.
Checking the fit with a go/no go gauge would tell you. The bolt will have some wear, so if anything it will be a little loose. That’s why I would rather start a new barrel and bolt together, so it doesn’t get too loose over its useful life.

roger, 10-4

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got an AR with a worn out barrel & thinking about changing calibers. I'm looking for something with real long range accuracy. What would you suggest?
real long range? youll need to go to an ar-10 platform. for the ar-15 platform, there is still a few choices, 6.5 grendel, 6 arc, .224 valk and probably others.

I actually dont do any real "long range shooting" (500+ yards) so im sure there are others on here that will be more well versed in those options.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the new barrel in, still waiting on the rest of the parts. I must say, based on looks alone i like this new barrel. the crown looks nice, finish is good, profile is perfect for what i want.

New vs old:

Air gun Gun barrel Shotgun Auto part Gun accessory

Ironically, as rough as that old barrel looks, it shoots the best groups of any ar i have.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i find it funny that the AI tagged my first photo as:

"Computer keyboard Air gun Trigger Machine gun Space bar"

apparently i have some form of "computerized air space machinegun BAR! news to me , I thought it was a semi auto Modern sporting rifle....

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Parts came in a day early!, suppy chain issues.. psshh.!

anyways, didnt take me long, this is getting too easy! the gas tube roll pin did give me a hard time but that was the hardest part!

looks very similar to before, but i wasnt trying to change how it looks, its all about whats in the inside, heavier stiffer barrel, 1/7 twist instead of 1/9 and midlength gas system over carbine length.. new bolt too.

this new rail is very slim, I hope its not too slim as there is pretty tight clearance between the low profile .750 gas block and the inside of the rail. i like how tight everything fit together though. wish the HG had a better lockup system, this one is just friction, but, it feels pretty solid, very tight fit even before torquing down the 3 screws. gas block was also a nice tight fit on the barrel and the tube isnt too loose inside the block either.

feels like a totally different gun as its heavier, but the weight is not as far forward, and the HG is really thin, which is nice but just feels different compared to the last one. I like it.

hope it runs well when i can get it to the range.

Computer Musical instrument Peripheral Input device Reed instrument

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Reed instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Gun barrel Air gun

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Range day tomorrow. i already have a even lower low profile gas block on the way, I hope that I dont need it but i worry that this one may not have enough clearance to avoid barrel contact under recoil. I hope that this barrel wont have much " whip" as they say since its stiffer and the Muzzle brake shouldnt cause more force in any one directions as the ports are all equally spaced.

I also ordered some BCM accessories, a new Mlok stubby veritcal grip, the one i have has to mount to a pic rail which mounts to the mlok rail , this new one mounts direct to the mlok rail, no addtl pic rail. and some BCM mlok rail covers, both FDE.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Happy to report a successful range day today! the new rifle upper build worked great, ejects at about 3:30-4 oclock so only slightly on the over gassed side. but it ran everything i threw at it, including steel case!!! and not only that but accuracy was more than acceptable, I only got it out to about 35 yards, but its putting even the cheap stuff in a ragged bullseye group! and this was shooting prone off the ground and with a rather crappy rest and position.

the only issue i had was the sling mount fell off, my fault for not tightening it enough at first. got it back on good and tight. that was literally the only issue i had with the rifle.

not only that, but i put 25 rounds or so through my .300 blk with its brand new dedicated BCG and magazine. it loves steel cased ammo, and the iron sights are dead on at about 35 yards, perfect for its defensive role.

Im interested to see what my rifle would do with a better scope, better rest and at longer ranges, i dont expect a tack driver, but based on what i saw today i would expect average if not slightly better accuracy for what it is, so 2 moa or so at 100?

so, anyways, im just super happy that not only does the gun run well, there are no clearance issues that i have to deal with and its pretty accurate with just about any ammo. it seems did like hornady 68 bthp, but also just regular 55 grain stuff did ok too. the mid length gas system is noticeably smoother than the carbine length. it was pretty easy to keep on target for quick follow up shots and to see impacts.

to top it all off i got to enjoy a nice 1.5 hr drive on some nice mountain roads, even got the tires little dirty!

ill stop rambling. im thankful this build and day came together the way it did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts