Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building an AR-15 to my own tastes, and would like to know what the rules are for the variety of shooting competitions out there.

Is a detachable carry handle yay or nay?
What about stainless barrels? Or free float barrels, with or without special systems that use standard handguards?
Barrel length/weight?
Adjustable gas systems?
Stainless lower receivers?
Scopes?

I'm sure there's a variety, and I'd like to know about them all.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welp, there goes the 24" barrel if I wanted to do service competition. Thanks for the links and info!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Could anyone tell me which of these three concepts for a custom AR would be legal in competition?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are probably other types of matches out ther but for NRA HIGHPOWER...
If number 2 is A-2 with 20in bbl....CMP "SERVICE RIFLE" Number one could be used for "MATCH RIFLE"
Number 3,"MATCH".But being a short bbl,I don't think I would shoot anything but the 100yd reduced matches with it.
Any info on ARs you want...www.ar15.com

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, #2 is A2 with 20in barrel. I was hoping it would be able to serve in all competitions. I knew #1 wouldn't work for service rifle, and if I'm correct, #3 wouldn't either. So I guess #2 is the only option for service rifle, correct? And having the two-tone setup of Stainless Barrel and Stainless Lower would be ok?
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can shoot the A2-20in. in "match" if you wanted to.
No matter which rifle you choose,eventually you will want to float the bbl and put a comp. trigger in.
For about $600.00 you can get a Rock River Arms DCM upper and another $100.00 for their Natioal Match trigger and you will well on your way for some good shooting.
Don't know about the stainless in "service" rifle comp.
GTM1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts