close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

AR-15s vs The Rest of the 223s

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 9, 2002.

Which one?

1. AR-15

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Robinson Armory M96 Expeditionary/Stoner 63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Daewoo

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. AK (Includes VEPR)

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. HK-33/HK-G41

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. AR-180

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Bushmaster M17 Bullpup

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. HK-SL8/SW-36 (SW-36 includes US parts including pistol grip and M16 mag conversion)

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  9. Ruger Mini-14

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  10. Missed one?

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, how many out there think AR-15s are the best 223s and how many have a different preference?

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    The AR-15, Look at all the companies trying to copy it. You can't go wrong with a modern AR-15. The best rifle made. You can have it LEO or as a varmit 'sniper' rifle. Que es su preguntas? Good Shootimg! Eric

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I feel, as Eugene Stoner himself did, that the direct gas action in the AR-15/M16 is not well suited for the .223. That built in Jam Clearing Device (forward assist) should make it abundantly clear.

4. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I put my vote towards the AR-15. I have the most experience with it, and I love mine. What about the Steyr AUG? Isn't that some sort of .223 bullpup? Don't know much about them, just from what a friend of mine has told me. I would vote for the SAW if I could legally own one, and some how afford one. ;)

-Tim

P.S. Hey BattleRifle, not that it is a bad thing, but are you on a poll kick, I think this is the third one I voted on, started by you. It is good though, keeps people talking.

5. BattleRifleG3

I just figured out how to do them, and what I wanted to ask. Lemme think, this would be 3rd of 5.

6. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Just thought I would ask. I am liking them so far. :)

-Tim

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    there may be better, but, put them in a pile and say go,,,,,,flaws as small as they may be and the AR-15 will be first from the pile. a simple matter of falling back on 18+ years of training, just common sense.

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

If I could justify the cost of a Galil, Steyr AUG or a Sig 510 I'd vote for them, but I can find plenty of replacement parts (upgrading... not breaking) for the AR-15 carbine. That Expeditionary rifle looks pretty sweet though. I wonder if they are giving a nod to Pershing's Punitive Expedition of the previous century before the first world war.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I voted for the AR-15 :) :assult:

10. whitley

whitley G&G Newbie

Reno
    Whitley

If you are competing competitively, it is easy to set up the AR too tight to gain an edge on accuracy. During the MGM Iron Man Competition for 3-Gun, in Idaho (Over 1000 rounds fired), 90% of the AR's jammed. Reason: Dust, Dirt, too much Oil (AR should run dry or with Dry teflon lube), poor magazines, reloads (223 not properly sized and sized checked usually hanging up in a match grade chamber causing some extractor failure and poor ejection leading to a jam). Overloading your 223 or not enough powder-16" and 20" require different loads. Cleanning your AR after each stage is highly recommended, a quick snake thru the barrel and chamber brush without oil usually can solve many of the problems. Loose and Improper Gas adjustment voer the as Hole on top of the Barrel causes moving bolt carrier to half-cock, causing a jam. A poor buffer or buffer spring causes this problem. Good Gas springs are also mandatory...some bolts work better with Single Springs and some work better with the 3 spring setup...you have to experiment.

I usually polish out the bore with a scotch scrub pad on the end of a brush hooked to my drill....a minute or 2 will help loosen up the tightness in a too tight chamber. KEEP ANY OIL OUT OF THE CHAMBER...THIS IS A GREAT COLLECTOR FOR DIRT, DUST, POWDER RESIDUE, INSECTS...JUST KIDDING.

I'd rather sacrifice a little accuracy with a loose shooting AR in competition when time and reliability are a premium.

Bill Whitley Ramos
    Reno, NV

11. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA

Forward assist is NOT for jamb clearing.

12. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

While the AR-15 is undoubtedly the best for sheer accuracy and match use, I'm more interested in ruggedness and reliability, along with acceptable accuracy. Basically, field use. My vote goes to my M17S Bushpup. Simpler and more forgiving of dirt and dust than the AR-15. Unfortunately, it didn't receive proper development after being back-burnered when the big AR craze hit.

BRG, you did overlook the Kel-Tec SU-16 .223 rifle. It's a good shooter, and performs well. Still have to wait to see how it holds up in the long run.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  13. BattleRifleG3

I did not overlook it. This poll predates it. When I finally give it the tactical setup I think it deserves, with semi-free-float RAS and AR mag system, I believe my Saiga 223 will win in my view. Previous owner got 3/4 MOA. And of course it has NEVER jammed. :D

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

DOH! Sorry BRG! I didn't notice the date on the poll, my bad. :cool:

Can't believe I missed this one the first time around. Must have been a busy week for me.

15. whitley

whitley G&G Newbie

Reno
    Whitley

The Latest AR 15/M16 definitely is the way in combat. You can adjust the Bullets and Loads depending on the situation or the type of shooting you do.
    Parts and bullets are always available and rather cheap. The AR also can be reconfigured in many ways. Again depending on the type of shooting you are doing. With all the competitive IPSC shooting I do, I'm always changing configurations with all the extra parts I've accumulated thru the years.

whitley

16. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

best for what???
    small varmets, medium varmets, or large varmets???

dealing with pesky flies, or an elephant charge???

helping Flash Gordon fight the Merciless Ming???

got me there Pauncho :p

17. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

I voted for the AR15, for urban combat, works great, in the sand pit you may want an AK in 7.62x39 (I don't like .223 AKs), maybe a milled Bulguie if pin point accuracy is needed.

AR15 was made for that round, thou it was a scaled down AR10.

Mine is very acurate, better than me.