Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere Dick's Destroys AR-15s it Took off the Shelves. It dont sell ARs no more. And has given in to Democrats. I have them on my do not shop list.
How could a Company destroy 1,000s of new ARs?
And how could Colt quit sellin' ARs to Civilians.
What is your take?
do you believe Dicks destroyed them? Or do you got further information?

Reactions: ChaZam and TheWall

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I’m sure that AR15’s we’re only a small portion of their sales and inventory, but I agree that they probably sold most of them to another retailer. They probably destroyed enough to have a photo op with leftist media to get an article published on what a great citizen they are.
Field & Stream / Dick’s are on my list of places along with Nike that I don’t spend money with.

·
Premium Member
23,975 Posts
I don't know whether Dick's destroyed them or not and it really doesn't matter to me.
And Colt basically made a business decision to not participate in the low profit retail sales of AR15s at the present time. If the market changes and their ability to procure the profit margins that their bean counters and share holders demand, they'll start selling them in the retail market again.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
I read somewhere Dick's Destroys AR-15s it Took off the Shelves. It dont sell ARs no more. And has given in to Democrats. I have them on my do not shop list.
What is your take?
Colt has has a history of making crappy financial decisions. Their recent decisions to stop selling their commercial line of AR15s has nothing to do with gun control but more to the fact that that they kept thinking and acting like they were the only game in town and could charge whatever they wanted for the same ol' same ol for the past 15 years. And as we all know... This isn't the year 2005, and Colt isn't the only AR15 game in town anymore and a whole lot of other AR15 manufacturers are putting out the same or better product for less money.

That and they kept relying on government contracts with the US military to bring in their main source of income, which they subsequently lost over the years to FN Herstal and Remington... and then their rehashed slightly modded M4 carbine replacement submissions also lost out to other designs... so...

They probably are not at bankruptcy crap levels again but I think they are sort of a in a big restructuring with their product line, namely their colt self defense revolver lines which have had some measure of success over the past couple of years.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Colt has has a history of making crappy financial decisions. Their recent decisions to stop selling their commercial line of AR15s has nothing to do with gun control but more to the fact that that they kept thinking and acting like they were the only game in town and could charge whatever they wanted for the same ol' same ol for the past 15 years. And as we all know... This isn't the year 2005, and Colt isn't the only AR15 game in town anymore and a whole lot of other AR15 manufacturers are putting out the same or better product for less money.

That and they kept relying on government contracts with the US military to bring in their main source of income, which they subsequently lost over the years to FN Herstal and Remington... and then their rehashed slightly modded M4 carbine replacement submissions also lost out to other designs... so...

They probably are not at bankruptcy crap levels again but I think they are sort of a in a big restructuring with their product line, namely their colt self defense revolver lines which have had some measure of success over the past couple of years.
Very true! The ar-15 platform is a piece of crap anyway no matter who produces it! I will never own one! Very happy with my ak and sks platforms that keep on working regardless of mud, snow, sand, or lack of lubrication oil! ;)

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,101 Posts
Very true! The ar-15 platform is a piece of crap anyway no matter who produces it! I will never own one! Very happy with my ak and sks platforms that keep on working regardless of mud, snow, sand, or lack of lubrication oil! ;)
I've mini-14s, an SKS, an AK, a couple M1s, and several ARs. While I really like the Mini design, I've had lots more issues with one of the minis (likely due to problems with the factory 30 round magazine design; the 20s seem to work fine) than most any of the ARs. The MPW and DDM4 v5 have been infinitely reliable with anything I've fed it under all sorts of environmentals.

I'd stack the reliability of a quality modern AR against any of them (including under severely abused conditions). And it's a great deal easier (at least for me) to work on the AR than the M1. As well as modify it for the person and task at hand.

There's a reason it's the patrol rifle of choice for most LE across the nation. If you get a crappy rifle it'll be a crappy rifle no matter what it's make. A modern day quality built AR is as reliable -- if not more so -- than anything else out there.

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
they shuffled them over to their field and stream stores and jacked the price up another 50$ on them.

Reactions: Dutch

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
This is me, raising my eyebrow incredulously...

AR's aren't plagued with the problems they initially had in Vietnam. My regimen for cleaning a $500 AR-15 generally consists solely of oiling the crap out of the bolt. If it's really nasty in there I'll force a shop rag through the receiver and maybe give a token wipe down into the trigger group. If I suspect the accuracy is going to pot I might push some bore cleaner foam through the barrel, but that's generally on my AR9 or AR45 barrels. They are extremely reliably now-a-days.

Nothing wrong with an AK or SKS platform either, if that's what you prefer.

What is your take?
I think Colt finally realized they are no longer competitive in todays gloriously flush market and made a business decision.
Who knows what Dicks is actually doing; your guess is as good as mine. I can't even tell if their moves are good for the stockholders (I don't think they are). If they actually destroyed the rifles, at least the manufacturer got to sell a few more in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts

Ive seen numerous AKs, and Tavors, and SCAR 16's or whatever go down lol.
Bottom line is, if it gets hot and dirty enough, no matter the platform it will go down.

As for me, the ONLY time ive ever had an AR15 go down hard was from shooting in an old silica sand mine pit (was doing a lot of prone shooting on my side) and silica sand pebbles got everywhere, in the gun, and mags etc. and on day three of the class after close to 2,000 rounds fired I got some pebbles down in side the trigger assembly which gummed it up.

Other than that, many thousands of rounds through different guns and never had any problems... ever that were gun related and not ammo related.

If you are having that many problems with the AR15 platform either you have one from the late 60's-early 70's when they were built improperly and against the engineered recommendation design specs, you're going by anecdotal stories from someone else or you had a POS probably commercial spec or improperly spec'd home built gun to start with.

never had any problems with my BCMs, Daniel Defense, or Noveske guns. (or my Armalite or early production, Rock River Arms that I had). Also had a Stag Arms commercial spec gun but I didnt have enough rounds through it to really vet it before I sold it for another BCM).

Bottom line is, if the AR15 was the giant unreliable POS that some people say they are, I wouldn't have the 10 or so in my collection over the years and I would just have more AK's or other X,Y,Z platform gun. :p;)

(but I still have 4 AK platform guns too just because I like guns :D)

But that's the great part about America... you can have whatever you want.

:usa:

(assuming the democraps dont get their way)

·
Premium Member
23,975 Posts
The ar-15 platform is a piece of crap anyway no matter who produces it!
Hmm, the strange thing to me after having bought some ARs and after personally building several of them with a plethora of components from a vast array of sources is that it is the easiest firearm on this planet to build and maintain. Even if a problem does pop up it is also the easiest system to trouble shoot and repair. Even people with barely even token levels of mechanical expertise and with only a few very inexpensive tools can sort out their own issues with a minimal amount of effort, including rebarreling in the same caliber or a multitude of optional calibers. And when you couple that with the fact that it is very easy to build a firearm that yields a very high level of accuracy from modestly priced parts, and match grade accuracy at user friendly prices too I would contend that your statement is way off base...

And to the OP in post #1, sorry for the mini hi-jack of your thread. Carry on...

·
Banned
554 Posts
Ive seen numerous AKs, and Tavors, and SCAR 16's or whatever go down lol.
Bottom line is, if it gets hot and dirt enough, no matter the platform it will go down.

As for me, the ONLY time ive ever had an AR15 go down hard was from shooting in an old silica sand mine pit (was doing a lot of prone shooting on my side) and silica sand pebbles got everywhere, in the gun, and mags etc. and on day three of the class after close to 2,000 rounds fired I got some pebbles down in side the trigger assembly which gummed it up.

Other than that, many thousands of rounds through different guns and never had any problems... ever that were gun related and not ammo related.

If you are having that many problems with the AR15 platform either you have one from the late 60's-early 70's when they were built improperly and against the engineered recommendation design specs, you're going by anecdotal stories from someone else or you had a POS probably commercial spec or improperly spec'd home built gun to start with.

never had any problems with my BCMs, Daniel Defense, or Noveske guns. (or my Armalite or early production, Rock River Arms that I had). Also had a Stag Arms commercial spec gun but I didnt have enough rounds through it to really vet it before I sold it for another BCM).

Bottom line is, if the AR15 was the giant unreliable POS that some people say they are, I wouldn't have the 10 or so in my collection over the years and I would just have more AK's or other X,Y,Z platform gun. :p;)

(but I still have 4 AK platform guns too just because I like guns :D)

But that's the great part about America... you can have whatever you want.

:usa:

(assuming the democraps dont get their way)
I am just going to say you dont have a clue of which you speak!

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
….I'd stack the reliability of a quality modern AR against any of them (including under severely abused conditions). And it's a great deal easier (at least for me) to work on the AR than the M1. As well as modify it for the person and task at hand.….
AND the AR platform is easier to clean/maintain, and modify!

Which is why I LOVE my AR 10s. I get the power of the M1A with the benefits of the AR platform.:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Hmm, the strange thing to me after having bought some ARs and after personally building several of them with a plethora of components from a vast array of sources is that it is the easiest firearm on this planet to build and maintain. Even if a problem does pop up it is also the easiest system to trouble shoot and repair. Even people with barely even token levels of mechanical expertise and with only a few very inexpensive tools can sort out their own issues with a minimal amount of effort, including rebarreling in the same caliber or a multitude of optional calibers....
Which is WHY the commucrats go so bats**t crazy about US citizens owning them! LOL!!!

·
Banned
554 Posts
Hmm, the strange thing to me after having bought some ARs and after personally building several of them with a plethora of components from a vast array of sources is that it is the easiest firearm on this planet to build and maintain. Even if a problem does pop up it is also the easiest system to trouble shoot and repair. Even people with barely even token levels of mechanical expertise and with only a few very inexpensive tools can sort out their own issues with a minimal amount of effort, including rebarreling in the same caliber or a multitude of optional calibers. And when you couple that with the fact that it is very easy to build a firearm that yields a very high level of accuracy from modestly priced parts, and match grade accuracy at user friendly prices too I would contend that your statement is way off base...

And to the OP in post #1, sorry for the mini hi-jack of your thread. Carry on...
Another one who does not know of which they speak! The ak does not guarenty accuratecy, it guarentees reliaibility. I will take that any day over accuratecy any day! I prefer a firearm that functions over one that does not! I guess that is why so many soldiers were smashing them against trees to ruin them and get issued m14 rifles to replace them in viet nam! With that said, I will never, ever own an ar platform rifle and will refuse a gift of one free of charge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts