AR choice

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by greyrifle, Jun 29, 2002.

1. greyrifle

greyrifle Guest

I'm looking at a AR-15 made by Olympic Arms. Is this a quality
    maker and are they durable?

Thanks, Greyrifle

2. Eric

Eric Guest

Greyrifle,
    They make excellant weapons. Never heard a single complaint. f you're on a budget, the Oly 'plinker' is the best deal going. Good Shooting!

3. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

I went with the Olympic Arms PCR rifle because it has a forged upper & lower reciever, 20 in H-bar. Have had it to the range just once to "break" it in. Using SA ss109 ammo 55gr. I was able to shoot 1 1/2 grps @100 yds after playing with the sights a little.Will probably get better when I get more experience with it. No problems with feeding or extraction.Trigger is a little heavy but I heard that is normal for a new one. Just my 2 cts worth Happy Shooting

4. MessedUpMike

MessedUpMike Guest

Can't beat Oly for price or availability. If you can't find a stocking dealer they'll send it to your FFL. Finish isn't always the prettiest thing in the world,but what are you buying a gun or a mail-order-bride? My CAR-97 needed the magwell opened a little bit,did that myself,but otherwise has perfromed flawlessly. They also have on of the better, if not the best Muzzle Brake going.

5. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

After shooting my Oly PCR and realizing how loud it was, I removed the muzzle brake. Not only quieter but accuracy improved. Have put about 500 rds through it so far and it is getting a lot smoother on the trigger pull. groups are improving all the time.

6. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

But.... when you removed the muzzle brake did you go below the minimum length for a rifle?? You don't want the feds to pick you up for a "sawed off" rifle.

7. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Not at all Mike It has a 20in Heavy barrel so I'm well within the limits. This brake was factory installed[I think] not but a little over 2 inches long,just Too loud. I am really enjoying this rifle

8. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

Kewl. The Feds do enough arresting and grabbing guns and such. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of the problems of too short of a barrel.

9. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Yep Mike they do mess with people. Still would like to find some kind of"faux" flash suppressor to put on it to give it that"military" look. I have been looking but haven't found one I like yet

10. Klaus

Klaus Guest

My DR200 has one of those cone shaped flash hiders. Pre-ban, of course.

11. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Yep Klaus Looked at them but my barrel isn't threaded, guess I'll keep looking

12. MessedUpMike

MessedUpMike Guest

Barrel lenght only becomes an issue under 16", on a 20" rifle you'd need a hacksaw to do that.

Mike

13. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Nothing wrong in the world with Olympic Arms. Good choice. I have a Bushmaster, but have fired one Olympic. No problem with them what so ever.....