Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for Gun and Game's collective brainpower. Can an AR10 upper be replaced so the rifle converts to 6.5 Creedmoor (or even 5.56 NATO, though that seems an even further stretch)? I know purpose/context might help, so by explanation this is to step it down so it's not overkill on small game. The AR10/308 Win is fantastic for hunting deer and elk, but I'd like to use the same lower for smaller game/varmints, if that's possible. The current rifle is piston driven, which might make a difference. I'm assuming a complete upper conversion including hand guard, gas block, charging handle, and bolt carrier group would be needed, but really don't know. Anyone done this kind of conversion or have expertise to know whether it's possible? If it is feasible, what kind of changes may be needed for the lower, if any? If not feasible, then so be it, but I'd like to hear your perspective first. Thanks!

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
I could be wrong, but my initial impression is no.

Two different animals. The AR platform is pretty well standardized and established, be it commercial or mil spec.

The “large” AR platform is all over the board. DPMS high and low profile, Armalite and a few new comers all with their own non standard methods of construction.

So, mags and ammo that normally fit in the AR-15 platform aren’t going to work in the most common LR308,AR-10 type platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
Yes, lots of companies make 6.5 Creedmoor uppers for the "AR10" rifles. There are a couple different patterns for the lowers so you would need to know specifically which pattern your lower is to find a compatible upper. If they are compatible components it's just a matter of pulling two pins. You could also rebarrel your existing AR10 upper to 6.5 Creedmoor and probably not need anything other than a barrel, magazine, and a bolt if the cartridge heads were different. As Jerry said though basically everything is different with the AR15...

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you have an AR10 style rifle now,then yes,you can swap out the 308 upper for any other upper that is designed to fit on your lower. But,You have to be careful on what you buy.
The Large framed AR's are not generic like the AR15 platform is. Each company has it's own style,and components for one brand are not compatible with other brands. A lot of the aftermarket is made for the DPMS LR Gen 1 platform or one of the Armalite platforms-they have two.
RRA also makes one-the LAR series,but hardly any aftermarket sources support it.

Here's a link that can explain some things to you about the differences.

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatibility-reference-guide/

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
I you have a true AR 10 which is made by Armalite then you'll have a harder time finding compatible upper receivers. If you have a DPMS or similar patterned rifle then it will be easier. Armalite was proprietary when it came to their AR10 models and it's one reason they are no longer in business. Their parts were on the spendy side and seemed to always be out of stock when I was looking for them.
The DPMS style has a much more robust aftermarket following and far easier to find parts on the cheap. The easiest thing would be to buy a complete upper assembly and pop out the pins on the lower and drop in the new upper. You can find calibers ranging from 22-250 on up to 450 Marlin

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
I could've sworn I read a link someone posted about them going out of Business. Glad to see I was wrong on that one. Especially since I have an AR-10 from them.
They were bought out by the company that owns McMillian and Surgeon Rifles and a few other firearms related entities and moved from Illinois to Arizona. Of course in this shaky economy and upside down world I don't think any company is really too safe and secure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts