Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some good quality grouping and long range ammo for my ar10 has a 20in barrel with a 1:10 twist rate looking for a sub 1 inch moa 100 yards. Without making my own rounds if that's possible to find or the best match grade ammo on the market.

I'm just starting to get into long range shooting so I don't exactly know who manufacturers the best match grade stuff and what grain of round I should use

I'm looking to shoot around 800-1000 yards eventually but starting small for right now until I get the gun dial in 100-200 yards.

Any tips would be very helpful

Registered
First off, Is the rifle that you have capable of shooting sub-moa groups? Also, Are you capable of shooting sub-moa groups?
If you answer No to either of those questions, then you might be wasting your time and money trying without a better quality barrel, and shooting techniques.

If you answer Yes to those questions, then I'd suggest buying several brands and different bullet weights of Match Grade ammo, and then test each one out of your rifle.
Shoot off a stable rest using a front rest / bipod, along with a rear bag. If you don't have a good trigger, 3-4lb pull rate, I'd suggest getting one.

You will also need a quality scope that tracks & repeats well.

Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, Is the rifle that you have capable of shooting sub-moa groups? Also, Are you capable of shooting sub-moa groups?
If you answer No to either of those questions, then you might be wasting your time and money trying without a better quality barrel, and shooting techniques.

If you answer Yes to those questions, then I'd suggest buying several brands and different bullet weights of Match Grade ammo, and then test each one out of your rifle.
Shoot off a stable rest using a front rest / bipod, along with a rear bag. If you don't have a good trigger, 3-4lb pull rate, I'd suggest getting one.

You will also need a quality scope that tracks & repeats well.

Good luck.
I have been able to shoot sub 1 moa out of my buddy's rifle and this one should be able too I just haven't found the ammo it likes so far. Also I have the vortex golden eagle scope and I have a trigger in the gun that is 3 pounds

Registered
Hornady American Gunner shoots sub MOA at 100 yards in both my AR-10鈥檚 and much tighter in my bolt actions.
The Federal Fusion hunting ammo does too.
I suspect you鈥檒l find most any, quality, factory .308 ammunition will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards.

As for long range .308 ammo, anything that says Match or Match King should be good. Heavier bullets are probably going to be better for long range, generally speaking. Federal would be my choice because they use the Sierra Matchking bullets.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What twist
Hornady American Gunner shoots sub MOA at 100 yards in both my AR-10鈥檚 and much tighter in my bolt actions.
The Federal Fusion hunting ammo does too.
I suspect you鈥檒l find most any, quality, factory .308 ammunition will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards.

As for long range .308 ammo, anything that says Match or Match King should be good. Heavier bullets are probably going to be better for long range, generally speaking. Federal would be my choice because they use the Sierra Matchking bullets.
rate is your
Depending on the twist of your barrel, Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 or 175gr would be a great place to start.
What twist rate is your ar10?

Registered
If you are intending to shoot long range on a regular basis , you may wish to consider re loading . There is a much wider range of possibilities and squeezing the most out of your equipment and reloads. For instance, bullet seating depth is something that you can control. You can't do that with a manufactured loaded round . Some leave the bullet seating depth a bit long to almost touch the rifling or even touch it. You are probably limited to a depth the length of the inside of your magazine but it may be enough to make a difference in accuracy. You also might be able to shoot it as a single loader and may be able to shoot a longer seated depth doing so. Powder manufacturers, charge weights , primer types, bullet seating neck tension , bullet design and weights, ballistic coefficient, all things that are fine tune able through reloading. A note that re loading for the AR platform is a bit different than say a bolt action. Case life can be fairly short as the action cycle is fairly harsh and finding spent brass sometimes not happening. Anyway, something to consider.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be messing with reloading once my buddy gets his setup ready but that won't be for a while and pounder is extremely hard to find and for a decent price (unless you know of any) but for the time being I wanted to find the best match grade ammo for my gun and go from there

Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
Hornady Black. By name it's for "Black Rifles".

First time I fired my MAR-10 using it I got a 0.75 MOA Group even with the wind bucking up and moving the target holders.

I normally roll my own.

Banned
Hmm,I think Some leave the bullet seating depth a bit long to almost touch the rifling or even touch it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.