Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a newbie to the AR15 game (really got into it about a month ago) and I've been looking for as much information as I can find through forums, google searches, and even some books. I did come across a site that had some short and sweet (less then 600 words per blog) blogs that really aided me in my new AR journey. I'll link to the first blog so it could potential help someone that's in the same boat as I am. Just trying to help disperse information to the community. Let me know what you think if you check it out!
The AR-15 for beginners

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,916 Posts
I might also suggest you have a look at some of the threads here which have very detailed information as well as general information about pretty much all aspects of the AR-15 platform. In addition, we have several members and at least one on staff who's a professional expert/instructor on the topic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might also suggest you have a look at some of the threads here which have very detailed information as well as general information about pretty much all aspects of the AR-15 platform. In addition, we have several members and at least one on staff who's a professional expert/instructor on the topic.
I definitely plan on continuing my search for information in regard to AR-15's. You can never know enough in my opinion and things change all the time so staying updated on things like this is always nice.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
I definitely plan on continuing my search for information in regard to AR-15's. You can never know enough in my opinion and things change all the time so staying updated on things like this is always nice.
The learning part is very true. Besides basic function and assembly procedures and specifications there are varying degrees of difference in parts designs.
I don't have the link or remember the gentleman's name but I recall I guy on YouTube doing a cautionary video on his experiences building his "Ultimate AR" and his troubles due to tolerance stacking from the slightly different specs of all the different aftermarket parts he used.
Tight tolerances are great up to a point but you have to balance that with function.

Not really a common problem, like a not properly aligned gas block, but one to learn from.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Check out AR15.com.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
This site can answer pretty much any question you have about ar-15's.

maybe im totally off base here, but do you have any affiliation with the linked site?

just seems odd t me to come to a firearms platform, and link to another one instead.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
The learning part is very true. Besides basic function and assembly procedures and specifications there are varying degrees of difference in parts designs.
I don't have the link or remember the gentleman's name but I recall I guy on YouTube doing a cautionary video on his experiences building his "Ultimate AR" and his troubles due to tolerance stacking from the slightly different specs of all the different aftermarket parts he used.
Tight tolerances are great up to a point but you have to balance that with function.

Not really a common problem, like a not properly aligned gas block, but one to learn from.
Seem like in that case it would have been better to just purchase a high quality, factory made ar rifle, then you dont have to deal with different specs/ tolerances from various diff mfg's.

I doubt one would save much purchasing high quality( ie epensive) components and assembling ones self over purchasing a high quality rifle.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you want to know what calibers the AR comes in check out this link.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,916 Posts
You can literally learn AR via osmosis nowadays.
Oh but the children, sir. The children. The problem children.

I've learned much from 'problem child' ARs--much more useful knowledge than some of those idiots with ties trying to figure out how to regulate guns or other esoterics despite all their paper on the wall, nice ties, and 400K education bills. It's been a relatively cheap education as well--a fraction of the cost of tuition for even a few classes at a community college. BCGs that function just fine in one upper and not another. 3 point jams with all kinds of opinions on why's (the one I hate the most is 'did you clean it ?' -- of course, I did and an AR should operate even with quite a bit of abuse. A close second being ammo type and 'did ya check the mag ?' getting a slightly annoyed 'yup' out of me). Short stroking that disappears with a different (cheaper) BCG for some strange reason. The odd one-off extractor tension thing. The most puzzling being a jammer that fixed itself with a new bolt (actually BCG) and then putting a new ejector in the old one, and using it later without issue. All being immensely frustrating while in a strange way immensely rewarding when I got it working. Strangely dented cases, uppers that love cheap flocci with nice tight groups but scoff at more expensive fodder (they ALL seem to like the LE gold dots FWIW). Drop charts, ballistics, what's the best sight in range, you name it. It's all good.

To the OP--if this sounds like Greek, please stick around awhile and peruse some of the threads. For a beginner there's no question that's too dumb to ask (so long as we stay out of the rhetoric of the left and the bumper sticker propaganda). We've all been there and the site is not short of expertise. So please have at it--lotsa great folks here.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Seem like in that case it would have been better to just purchase a high quality, factory made ar rifle, then you dont have to deal with different specs/ tolerances from various diff mfg's.

I doubt one would save much purchasing high quality( ie epensive) components and assembling ones self over purchasing a high quality rifle.
Suit yourself I like what I like and won't buy into the false economy of buying a high dollar rifle I could build on my own and have done so 3x in total.

Plus it gives me knowledge of what's needed to totally repair that platform.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Suit yourself I like what I like and won't buy into the false economy of buying a high dollar rifle I could build on my own and have done so 3x in total.

Plus it gives me knowledge of what's needed to totally repair that platform.

I never said YOU should do that. you stated that there are issues when building a rifle with tight tolerances from various mfgs. my point was that if SOMEONE wanted to avoid that, they could just get it all from one source avoid that issue, and likely not spend a ton more money.

FWIW I have built 3 AR's and purchased only one complete one, my very first one. none of which are "high priced". I never intended to make this personal, just a comment on peoples options to avoid tolerance stacking issues..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts